1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Spot on.

2. john2061

Comes from the top who allowed this and he should hang his head in * shame .
    The day the Tory party voted down the free school meals for children is the day their position at our club shouldn't have been tolerated and Desmond should have shown them the * door as we were founded for the starving poor and having them on the board is a * joke .

Pearse67*, seanm, Foley1888 and 4 others like this.
  3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I get we have moved on from what we as a club were established for, but to have a CEO on over £3 million whilst our lowest paid staff had to fight for the living wage is beyond reproach. I will always love Celtic but what we have become disgusts me at times.

4. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Anybody have any idea of the % of shares held by fans/ supporters..

I dont mean big investors or corporations.. but those who might be interested in forming a Block Vote or asking for a bigger say in the running of the club.

I like the German 50% + 1 model.

Dont think Celtic fans would have anywhere near that amount but would be interested to know the %

5. Foley1888

It won’t be anywhere near that as I think Desmond alone owns around ~35%. There is then Nick Trains investment company owns in the region of 18.4%, which is just an investment company looking to make money from sport, mind you Liverpool have shown this can work if done right. So we are already up at around ~53.4%, then advertising Guru Chris trainer owns around 10% as well as others owning 6% and 3%, also a number of investment firms having a small interest as well. So I would guess the percentage of normal fans shares will be relatively small.

Stevie6767 likes this.
  6. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    I think Desmond has about 35%, then Chris trainer/James keane/ Thomas allison own about 20% between them, with roughly another 20% sitting with investment companies, so at best there would be 25% with normal punters, but in reality likely to be way less than that. Given Desmond and other share holders use shelf companies to hide their investments can be hard to track it all.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Our fan model is 15% + 1 then..

Would be good if fans could get their hands on 33% and demand a voice in the running of the club.

If we are owned by 'investors' looking for a return rather than owned by fans looking for returns on the pitch then we will go on pretty much as before.

What we need .. is for investors to look at Merch for the profit margins then all our incentives would be aligned.

Investing in a football club to get a monetary return is a mad biz basis,especially in Scotland.

I think only The Bunnet has Done It. And he rescued a sleeping giant that was being mismanaged at every level.

8. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh, and not forgetting Charles Green and his wee pal. Think they made a few Bob

9. BADGERBHOY

Mate am still raging about offering Rivaldo a trial instead of just offering the guy 40k a week

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Sonic Reducer and littlekennie like this.
  10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He would have took 35 grand he was on about 30 grand at olympiakos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  11. Mr. Slippyfist

I get the jist of your post, and commend you on it, but....

As much as I may have my own ill-feelings toward Lawwell and some of his decisions, that's just life mate.

Without being demeaning toward anyone, but could any of those low paid workers step into Lawwell's job? Possibly, but realistically absolutely not.

Do YOU or I know the details of his day to day responsibilities? Most likely not, but I'd say the running of a multi-million pound football club would be deserving of £3m a year, or thereabouts. I'd imagine his job (just as a guess) would be at the very least a 12 hour working day on average (on a quiet day), whereas (take Scott Sinclair for example, again no demeaning toward anyone), your highest paid footballer on say £40-45k p/w doing...what...4 hours work a day maybe 4 days a week, playing time on one day and having two days off per week pulling in over £2m per year?

Dunno how accurate these stats, but here's some playing staff figures for last year I think it is:

https://salarysport.com/football/ladbrokes-premiership/celtic/

There ye are, if that's in the ballpark you're talking about a playing staff wage of just under £120m per year (give or take I think some of those wages are loanee full wages and not what Celtic's paing percentage was).

That's just the players, not including coaches, medical staff, scouting, non-footballing staff, policing costs, maintenance, sub contractors da dadda dada....

Yes, the lowest paid workers should be automatically given the living wage, without any question, but to put this solely on lawwell's feet is a bit picky-choosey imo

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Desmond meant to have pulled plug on Atlantic league ..... wants to be in prem * a * dreamer and holding us back by looks of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanm likes this.
  13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Pete isn't on £3 million PA. That figure was made up of salary and bonus for CL participation but it suits some to try and portray it as a salary paid yearly.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  14. Foley1888

Peter Lawwell’s package is still very competitive in the world of Football CEOs in the UK market. Granted it’s not £3.5m that is bonuses included but he does earn £1.16m in terms of salary given in 2003 he took the job on £166k it is still nearly a tenfold increase in 17 years which not many in the same job will have been granted particularly when the budget spent on everyone else has been dropping in real terms.

Granted he will work long hours and put more effort, intellect and know how into the job that most don’t possess, however most CEO’s do. Celtic is a big club and a reasonably large company however most CEO’s of similar sized companies won’t earn that sort of pay packet managing a budget in the region of £80-£100m per annum. In a lot of instances unless they are also the majority owner/founder you will find they are probably on something in the region of a quarter to half of his basic salary. Yes there will be share offerings and bonuses in there too but his straight salary element is high.

As mentioned before we are told we cannot afford big wages for players, managers, coaches and the likes but we can for a CEO, that seems contradictory to me.

In terms of our playing staff wage bill in one of the earlier posts that can’t be accurate. Our total expenditure is around mid to high £80m’s, of which salaries are around mid £50m’s without CL and £60m with it based on the 18/19 figures. I would suggest currently will be at worst the same or have dropped a bit since given the amount of players who have left. That figure is all salaries not just playing squad.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Gyp Rosetti, Peej and seanm like this.
  15. seanm

this all day * long.tory * celtic board. get them to *.HH

john2061 likes this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Indeed, I have a fair idea of the average remuneration of a CEO at similar/larger sized companies however there are additional pressures/skills required at a, this, football club imo. Ultimately his basic salary is decided upon by the board and DD so given they have saw fit to increase it to the current level this is sufficient for me to accept he is worth what we pay him. Others seem to know better though.
    Aye there is often a disconnect between what folk quote on here and the reality of what our published and audited accounts state but again that sometimes doesn't suit some folk mate.

Just as well we had Brian Quinn on the board at one point though eh HH :giggle1:

Pogues likes this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Put it this way,
    Larsson was our highest earner when lawwell came in, think only Keane has been on that level since then. Even our ten+ year captain of 9 in a row is on less than what Larsson was back in the day.

Inflation for the players wages have never increased. We have purposefully gotten rid of bulk high earners in favour of bulk middle of the road earners with some high earners. But the wage "cap" that is apparently built in to the club has never moved with inflation, be it real world inflation or inflation that is the madness of world football.

In that same time, Martin O'Neil is rumoured to have been on around £2million as well, the same time the CEO came in on (taking from above posts) £166k.

Considering lawwell base salary has increased x8 and the player salary cap has never budged and the manager salary has never increased (it's been decreased when we've hired deila and Lennon), it does make you wonder.

Not asking for us to spend £16mill on a manager, or for us to be spending £320k a week on our top earner, but that's the increase in wages they would need to be to equal the increase Peter lawwel has seen over his time here.

Does he justify it more than the coaches and players? Not to that degree he doesn't.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Spot on, bold Pedro always gets his bonus even if it’s deferred. But * like telling you about his base salary not his bonus it’s * embarrassing. There’s one thing certain at Celtic for over the past decade, is Pedro gets his money no matter what state the most important asset at the club is in.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Avatar Daizen and Peej like this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agree.
    I know he does his job very well (for the money men) and I don't begrudge him getting an increase on his wage from 16 years ago. But the rest of the club (players managers and coaches) all seem to have stood still at best.

No one (like when we ask for transfer funds) is asking for players to be on 60k a week, we don't expect that, but we do expect to not waste 8k a week on Henry, 15k on Commper, when we could stop being tight * and just have bought one defender ok 25k and be done with it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Hendry was bought because BR wanted him, I believe the same was true with commper who I can remember saying hadn't played a lot of football previously, for his age, and I was told I was being negative. (I'm paraphrasing and being polite).
    We currently have a defender on about 40k pw, I don't need to tell you how that's working out mate.