1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Best away day experiences and stories

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Breathnach67, Nov 10, 2020.

Discuss Best away day experiences and stories in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Since it’s the international break and we’ll be without the Celtic for a couple of weeks, I wanted to read a few of you guys’ best away day experiences or anecdotes or just whatever made a certain away day trip (european or domestic) so special. I had my heart set on going to a few European away days this season with it possibly being my last year in Glasgow for a bit, but obviously it’s not been possible so hearing people’s stories is always cool!

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  2. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Nakamura rugby park

Seán Mac D and Breathnach67 like this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't do many away days. Although I always go to Tannadice and Dens locally.

Same routine usually, train or bus, into the pub which of course looks closed from the outside. Bevvy, mince rolls, pies. Game. Into the Ferry. More bevvy. Off work the next day.

Winning the league at Tannadice May 2008. Missed out on a ticket so watched it in rebel heartland of Lochee. * madness.

Not quite the bus and banter most people will do.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  4. DonnyCelt

Milan 2007. Kaka scored in extra time. Was a loss but a fantastic night and trip as a whole.

Noskeil and Breathnach67 like this.
  5. Smithy

Lazio away with my dad, brother and 2 mates. * me that was unreal. Getting in with tickets with the names tippex-ed out and written over and also getting searched about 10 times whilst half pished :56:Fell flat on my * when Ntcham got the winner, what a moment!

Then leaving the stadium narrowly avoided being hit with a * petrol bomb :56:Absolute madness, will never forget it. Be hard pressed to ever get a better away day than that I reckon.

6. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Sounds unique! Euphoric night that was, I was 10 at the time and didn't quite grasp the gravity of that game given how they clawed the league back from oldco and with Tommy sadly passing a day or two before it. That was some team that Strachan assembled! Also I've heard about Lochee! half of my mum's family before they came over from Ireland went up there, the rest went to NL.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    They went on to win it that year too....just makes you think!

DonnyCelt likes this.
  8. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Unreal! I done a year abroad in Porto and went to a match they played against Roma a couple of years back....never seen as many dangerous looking lads as when I came across the Roma travelling support. They make them hard in Italy

Smithy likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Seville was the ultimate.

Was just too young to get on the bevvy but the memories will live forever. Literal seas of green and white every time you turned a corner.

Ended up in a tapas bar with a CSC from Dumfries, all sound as, good craic, no fannys and bought my Granda a drink every round and wouldn't let him return the favour.

Will never forget the sheer joy of watching Celtic scoring in a European Final sitting beside my Granda, utter bedlam for each goal.

Had a nightmare trying to find the bus after the game, stoating about for over an hour and caught it just as it was pulling away for Costa Del Sol.

10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Fantastic mate, would love if something like that could be achieved again!

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Can still remember walking out the ground and all the staff/medics/away fans were clapping us to the busses. Was a * night in terms of the score but that alone made me proud to be green and white.

Can you remember the * rain during the day? Got off the coach and it started never been that wet from rain in such a short time the raindrops were like * water balloons lol

Oh and the Paninis in the ground were * rancid lol

Breathnach67 likes this.
  12. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    PSG away, even tho we got smashed 7-1 it was a great trip. Sunshine, footy and beers up near the tower. Our tickets where for the psg end right next to our allocation. Milan a few years back under Ronnie, 30hr bus trip, never again haha.. VVD red card, Inter fans waiting for us outside to applaud our support.

Huns obvs but aways in the league, I enjoy pretty much any where I can get a ticket for. Think Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd are the only ones I'm missing of my list I think.

Also Lazio, that * walk back all the way into the city from the ground the cvnts.. Madness.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  13. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I haven't been to that many away games but Kilmarnock away when we won the league for the first time under Lennon was unreal.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Best story I've got was when I was a wee guy I'm sure it was Perth midweek and the game had just been called off due to fog. Old guy from my bus gets a hold of a steward and says 'whats happening with the game tonight mate ?' ... 'Games off sir can't see your hand in front of your face for the fog. Guy from the bus puts his arm around the steward points up and says what's that white thing up there son ? 'The moon' he replied. "The * moon how far do you * want to see"

15. Aidan O’Shea

Rome. Enough said. Best trip of my life and was with about 7 or 8 lads off here. Everyone on their worst behaviour. Sensational craic.

@Smithy similar experiences to you at the ground; falling over, spilling beer and being searched a dozen times going in!

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I was 3 people from the front of the queue at the ticket office when they told us they were sold out for that game. Seething, especially how it turned out :67:

17. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Oft,that's painful mate..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  18. R u n e

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Seville and any game in Germany are always good. Been to so many away games though so its hard to pick

Breathnach67 likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Hail, Hail, Neil Lennon.

20. dmccourt95

Kilmarnock 6-0 when we won the league, what a day that was stadium was jumping. Lisbon the season after and Valencia two good trips despite no winning just being away in Europe is always class

CountyDownFaithful likes this.