1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

For me, he’s at the top of my list of worries for a while.

Rumours been flying about for ages he wanted to go to Leicester to work with the rat again. Doesn’t look interested just now, questioning the managers tactics on live tv a couple of times, seems to be diving into tackles etc. Seems to me he’ll be off at the first opportunity which I would hate as he’s my favourite player in the team when he’s on top form.

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. stew37

Can't say I've noticed him being uninterested. I'd love if all our players had his mindset in terms of effort and commitment. He hasn't been playing fantastically well but he's in a team that's been underperforming generally.

DennyCelt likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's coming across as someone who still cares about the team, but is most certainly not playing for the manager.

Doogs. likes this.
  4. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    People saying callum mcgregor is uninterested must be watching a different player to me. However I must say he went off the boil a bit for a couple games. Happens to some players, he plays every minute of every game of every season and is mr consistent.

I can forgive him for a couple bad games. It's the ones who look like they havent even got into first gear this season that worries me.

5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He’s had a couple of good spells but by and large he looks a shadow of the player he did under Rodgers.

They all do though to be fair. It’s clear they aren’t responding to whatever Lennys trying.

DennyCelt and Peej like this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He had a bad game v Prague but pish to say he's uninterested.

Broonie not influencing games for me much at all at the moment and McGregor is doing the running for both. McGregor looks absolutely * after every game with the effort he has to put in, not a sign of someone looking to want away.

That can't be said for Ed and Ntcham.

He needs Christie in beside him..

Barkas
    Elhamed Jullien Ajer Laxalt
    Christie McGregor
    Frimpong Rogic Ellyounoussi
    Ajeti

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Crazy to question McGregors desire, hes literally played more games for us than any other player in Europe. :56:

8. R u n e

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He doesn't seem right to me. He's one of our most experienced players and he's let Neil down in my opinion

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye nae bother H U N E :56:

King of Kings, R u n e and Smithy like this.
  10. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Bizarre to question his commitment imo. He’s running his * off every week and for what? It’s clear they haven’t worked on any kind of pressing game during training, they’re told just to go mental and win the ball back any way they can - that’s why we’re so easy to pass through and that’s why all the players are * after 50 minutes

11. Foley1888

When talking about McGregor under Rodgers vs McGregor under Lennon. Most of the time under Rodgers, McGregor played as one of the three behind a loan striker either instead of Rogic as the furthest forward of the central three or even as an option of the left when Sinclair went off the boil such as Zenit at home. It was only when Brown, Eboue and Ntcham got injured that he started playing deeper and that was with Christie next to him. We looked great going forward and covered our defensive frailties with high energy pressing at that point.

McGregor is a far better player further up the pitch with a combination of his shooting, quick interchange of passing and ability to skip a challenge and get into the box without too much worry for the defensive side of the game other than high energy pressing from the front.

Our issue is that nearly all the midfielders we have are better offensively and poor at tackling, covering and lack the natural defensive instincts. Now Brown’s legs have gone and he is struggling to do these things we offer our defence no protection. What do we do about that in the summer we go spend over £3m on another offensive CM in Turnbull and even prior to that sign Soro who Lennon won’t play.

In our current squad the only players I have seen all be it briefly that have any type of defensive instincts in midfield are Brown, Soro (very short cameos) and Connell (all be it off a very short cameo and in reserve football).

We also lack running power hence from our current crop of players I would play Christie deeper and try Frimpong in front of Elhamed on the right.

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You make some very valid points.
    If we play Tam in the 10, then he does need Christie beside him, to compensate for Tam's shortcomings.
    For me, I would never question CMcG's commitment, but he is just bang average at the moment.
    Just dont like to see both him and Brown starting together.

13. celtic warrior

Coaches, managers who ever it * is needs to do away with this image of morphing McGregor into Brown.

He's not that type of player, don't get me wrong he is still decent enough in a defensive sense albeit can be prone to conceding reckless fouls and tbf at one point even I thought McGregor showed enough promise to take over that role.

But for me, it's clear as day now, he's far more effective and devastating when doing an "Armstrong" late runs into the box, hovering around the edge looking to pop a shot at goal, releasing others in the vein the Rogic also does.

What we need is him attacking more, whether Soro is finally used (he won't be) Ajer is placed into Brown's role (he won't be) or we go out and try and find some sort of type akin to Wanyama (we won't) McGregor needs to be stopped being used as some sort of Brown successor.

The only thing he should reasonably inherit from Brown is the captaincy, that's it.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Do we really want him to though?

He’s brilliant at what he does, can link up midfield and attack as well as anyone in our squad, and has the engine to engage in a proper pressing game from the front.

Would like to see him used further forward basically, with Christie dropping in to a central midfield slot.

15. celtic warrior

I'd say depending on the game, Rogic and Christie just have to accept being used interchangeably. Rogic starts most games for me easily, when he begins to tire and perhaps the other team try and sit back you then bring on the duracell bunny in Christie to just go * for leather and use his is energy to constantly run, charge at defenders and do all the high pressing.

McGregor in a sense could be your box to box player helping to link defence to attack but we desperately need him to be set free from this becoming Broony project - by looks of things only way that happens is if we go out a buy the player we need to take over Brown.

Becuase neither Soro or Ajer will be used in the role.

16. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    What a * performance that was

Marty McFly likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This boy

What a fantastic footballer.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What a phenomenal footballer he is. Had two Huns say to me tonight he’s by far the best player in Scotland and I can’t disagree with it.

19. dmccourt95

The best I’ve seen him and Christie this season, both were outstanding

DonnyCelt likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was absolutely class.