1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Motherwell v Celtic - Sun 8th November 12:00 KO (Live on Sky)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Motherwell v Celtic - Sun 8th November 12:00 KO (Live on Sky) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    We need to stop conceding goals, we can blame the defence but we are also sitting off teams too much allowing them to put balls into the box far too often.

Big C likes this.
  2. Trequartista

Much better performance attacking wise yesterday. It really makes a difference when we utilise Rogic as the lynchpin between midfield and attack as there’s nobody better at it in our ranks.

I felt Brown had a better game yesterday. Couple of wayward passes but his ball retention was good. Much more effective in that role when he plays the quick balls out to the full backs or wingers which allows us to build the attack quicker.

We are still very fragile defending any sort of ball into the box and have been for a good while now. It just does not seem to be getting addressed whatsoever. We also gave up a lot of chances that on another day could have cost us. I noticed that they often had a free man floating about the outside of our box which isn’t good.

3. Big C

I heard NL shouting “stop the cross” during one of the games but we don’t do it as a natural instinct, we don’t work hard enough at this!! Then when it comes into the box we are all over the place. I’m really not a fan of Bain, I don’t think he could catch a cold, so I wish we’d stuck with Barkas. At least he’ll come for crosses.

4. celtic warrior

Bitton is good for playing the ball, * in the air though.

We need proper CBs brought in, not rely makeshift ones like Bitton. Our CBs in general are woeful at challenging for set pieces.

Bitton done well lately but for the Motherwell goal he's beaten far to easily for what one would expect from a real CB, which he isn't.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Sure the commentator said Gallagher was with us as a youth.

I think he's pretty decent. Would be a good backup for us.

Pretty commanding.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  6. Dip 'n' Swerve

Basic defending from corners - one man on each post, one player at the edge of the 6 yard box - body shapes open, head on a swivel being aware of runners to address or pass on ( requires talking - something barkas does not do!).. helps when a keeper can dominate his area like FF.

Work on them on the training ground until it the well-oiled machine is working at defending corners, then move onto defending from set-pieces and crosses.

Personally I would love Mjallby back into the scene to sort the defence out on the training ground, and someone to show up the pitch how to keep the ball on target from the edge and just outside the box - and first take the ball from mr greedy balls Christie.

Rogic needs to keep on playing, he offers that little bit extra in tight areas and his game intelligence, I wish Griff could start a few games also. We should also place more emphasis on El Hamed, he has a tasty cross which we have benefited from a few times recently.

Jullien back will be immense.

And in hindsight the Aberdeen game hurts more as it could be just a 1 point difference atm (the big swede could take mc gregor and tell him how to defend rather than diving in as he did at Aberdeen and against Sparta), saying that 3 points v hibs and go on a run to xmas with a dicking session of hearts in the cup final sets it up to owe a much needed performance at castle grayskull 2nd Jan.

Can anyone tell me how many times they play at home at Europe in the last 2/3 seasons compared to us, it is shocking but I don't expect none the less from the SPL.

HH

7. Dip 'n' Swerve

I agree could do a job in Scottish games, is up for a fight and a threat from corners

8. Dip 'n' Swerve

Watched McGinn last night - was lennon to blame for this not happening, or was it fork in the sugar bowl stuff from the celtic suit prawn sandwich brigade?

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, usually with his baseball bat

Scummy *

jimbobers likes this.
  10. Maestro 08

Being a CB for us at the moment is a bit of a thankless task. Our midfield is porous and offers little protection, the full backs disappear up the pitch and when they have possession of the ball teams drop off and go man to man on the rest of the players. With zero movement ahead of them they're being asked to find world cup passes or dribble to goal. Their confidence is shot to pieces.

We need an elite sprinter, superb one on one defender, with Pirlo passing ability. Sergio Ramos would struggle here the now. So, aye come on home Declan Gallagher.

11. celtic warrior

McGinn didn't come here, because McGinn didn't want to.

He's said it himself, he saw how strong we were and was promised more football at championship level with Aston Villa, he was never coming here.

And he's right to, just look at how we've treated the biggest prospect to Scottish football outside of celtic since McGinn in our signing of Turnbull.

Big els likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. stew37

Not sure how true that is. Have said on here before, my pal spoke with him in Amsterdam and he said he was expecting to come back and sign with us after that weekend. I get the impression if we hadn't * about he'd have been here.

14. celtic warrior

He's come out abd can be quoted as saying Steve Bruce promised to play him every week and Rodgers couldn't. He wanted to sign for us sure, but wanted regular first team football more as that is what he was used to at hibs.

He was never coming here as result.

15. stew37

Fair enough mate, but players say a lot of things after they've signed. I doubt he'd say well I actually wanted to play for Celtic but here I am at Villa.

16. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    John McGinn would have walked from Easter Road to Celtic Park with his left arm cut off to play with us imagine the difference he would make to this Celtic midfield now with his energy and fight. Shambolic that he is not here

Foley1888 likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well considering what a complete fiasco Thursday night was to get a 4-1 win away to Motherwell is a great response and I would have gladly taken that before kick off. A lot of positives for sure particularly attacking wise. Rogic is really coming to form which is very encouraging and we look a much more potent side going forward with him in there. With Forrest out at least till the end of January Christie looks like he can do a good job out on the right and that allows us to keep Rogic in the 10 spot. Obviously great response from Elyounoussi and although Ajeti did not score I though he lead the line well.

On the negative side though was how bad we were defensively on set pieces. Not just the goal we do give up but all day long we looked vulnerable from set pieces and failed to win the first ball on more then half the set pieces that came into our box. That needs to get sorted because we cannot keep giving away easy goals on set pieces like we are at the moment. We also are giving up chances defensively with players getting to long balls over the top and trying to do something with it and then getting out muscled to set up a good opposition chance when if you just put the ball out there would have been no danger. It was noticeable to me that Ajer who has been our best defender did just that put the ball out in one situation. Whereas earlier Frimpong got caught out trying to play a ball over the top instead of putting it out and got stripped.

So all in all a mixed bag. Some positive signs going forward and overall I am pretty confident we will be fine going forward but we have a lot of work to do defensively.

18. celtic warrior

McGinn talk been done to death.

He was never coming here, he has said so himself end of. Bruce promised him all the game time in the world, Rodgers didn't.

As much as he may have wanted to come he went to the team who promised him more football and he was right to do so.

He has said he wanted first team football and wasn't prepared to play second fiddle to the strength of our midfield at the time, the club made moves, our manager at the time promised little football compared to what was on the table from villa, if he wanted to be here he'd be here, but he isn't.

19. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just watched a replay of the game. Surely the foul on Frimpong should have been a straight red. It was a blatantly ugly attempt at maiming our player, much worse than the incident against Livingston last year when McGregor was sent off. This Dallas is a horrifyingly bad referee. Even the terrible commentator on BeIn Sports said it should have been a straight red.

eire4 and wanmadtim like this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There is absolutely no question that tackle was a straight red. If that had of been one of our players making that tackle it would have been.

kramer1 likes this.