1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The alleged squad fitness issue

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 7, 2020.

Discuss The alleged squad fitness issue in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've seen a few folk comment on the squad's fitness across various online platforms. We've conceded last minute goals vs Sparta, AC Milan and Aberdeen in recent games. We visibly tired in the second half in the cup semi final vs Aberdeen. We've coneded late on vs Lille, throwing away a two goal lead; Livingston scored in the last 15 minutes in the league which gave rise to a nervy finish and Ferencvaros' goal to eliminate us was also late on in the game.

I know you can't just pick out late goals conceded and attribute it to a lack of fitness, there are other variables at play, but there's been three games recently where we've simply switched off towards the end. Most of our goals conceded so far this season have come in the latter stages of the second half, alongside people commenting on how * some players looked. Is this indicative of a deeper problem with squad fitness?

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Possibly mate.

Not utilising the 5 subs quickly enough is another issue.

saltire78 and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We definitely don't look as fit as we have in the past.

I'd say there is an issue/reason behind it. But none of us know what goes on at training or with nutrition these days so it's difficult to explore really.

4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    The whole fitness thing has been an issue since the start of the season. We seem to be blowing out of our arses after the hour mark and look slower and less aggressive than other teams. The only exceptions to this have been Laxalt, Frimpong and Paddy.

5. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Seen a comment on twitter last night that summed it up for me, under Rodgers, domestically at least, we looked like we had the energy to play 120 mins every game, this season we don't look like we can manage 90 mins without visibly tiring.

It's strange because lack of fitness wasn't an issue last season but this year its went off a cliff, reminds me of MON's last season where it seemed the whole squad had aged about 4 years in between seasons, much more worrying now obviously as the squad is still relatively young compared with that team. Whatever has happened it's something that won't come out till a few years from now probably.

6. Onefootwonder

Did it not come out after Lennon took over that the amount of training was massively less than under Rodgers?

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The fact that Laxalt looks fitter than most of our players is very telling.

8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think Rodgers is more of a profession manager than Lennon. Rodgers and his backroom team ensured players trained hard, ate right and were more tactically aware. Yes, we have won trophies and leagues under Lennon but this season (and part of last season) our football is turgid, our fitness levels have dropped dramatically and we have been humiliated in Europe.

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Probably because he is still at a decent level of fitness. Obviously the training regime at AC Milan ensured that.

Peej likes this.
  10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye that was my point

paulmcq1888 likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's no surprise the old Lennon players from 6-7 years ago took the huff when Deila and Collins came in.
    They both slated us, we actually employed a * nutritionist it was that * bad.

We laughed and joked at watching Waghorn(pen) going to a chippy - but to be honest that's our * players most the time as well.

Rodgers took it to another level and demanded respect from the players due to his overall personality and standing in the game (compared to that of Deila and Collins, where the players thought they was better than that).

Lennon has came back in and it has slowly but surely gotten worse, we are massively unfit and it is massively on the manager and his staff. Do they not work on fitness properly? Has Lennon sacked fitness coaches/made them worthless to us?

Either way, it needs sorted. For me, and many, it starts with a manager with the right attitude to a healthy diet, lifestyle and a pro athlete mentality.

Players should be having a can of fizzy juice or a bag of chips as a luxury, there is evidence and plenty stories that Lennons first stint, that * was on the canteen menu at training.
    I have no reason to think it is not the same again now.

This squad of players are good enough to still win this league, if they had the right fitness, the right motivation, the right coaching, the right tactics, all this is on the manager to sort out.
    Deila and Rodgers sorted it when they came in, Lennon needs to sort it now - actually he still needs to * off out the club and we bring in someone else.

We honestly could bring in anyone with a semi respectable CV, so long as they are modern football focused on fitness and drilling in tactics and we will be fine.

12. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    I think the drop in fitness is defo noticable, also.. a * morale about the place can be sapping on fitness aswell

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly, poor when a guy thats not kicked a ball in 7 months and was only doing training at Milan can come in and be instantly the fittest guy in the club.
    No wonder guys like Edouard have looked to given up, they are playing for a manager who does not give a * about their health, fitness and development.

14. horseshoe

Remember there was a lot of talk when Ronny came in about needing to modernise behind the scenes when it came to sports science and fitness/diet, and this obviously carried on into Rodgers time, but even if Lennon isn't in that mould there should still be other coaching staff monitoring this sort of stuff closely whoever is in charge of the team, were they binned when Rodgers left, are they just being ignored?

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Deila sorted nothing that’s an absolute myth. We were blowing out our arses much earlier under Deila than we ever have under Lennon in both his stints.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  16. Harry Caray

Griff the other night

Attached Files:

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That looks quite heavily edited tbh mate.

18. Harry Caray

I did think that myself personally he didn't look that overweight :56:infact he doesn't even look overweight to me at all (if that picture isn't real)

littlekennie and Peej like this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Bollocks mate, Deila and Collins ripped up the old school (lack of) diet and put the club on the path to something else.
    Collins was a * and over done it for sure, no doubt over worked the players on it. But they most certainly massively improved the fitness of the squad over their time.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it's safe to say that pic was made as a joke lol.

Harry Caray likes this.