1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

See this is where we're just blatantly setting different expectations. Massive success so far in his second spell?

He won the league and league cup. Of course that's success there. However, he's had two abject failures of CL qualifying campaigns, losing at home to Ferencvaros and capitulating at home against Cluj after a good result in the away leg. It was the same scenario against Copenhagen - good away result, then collapsed in the home tie. We've been second best in the last 3 games against the huns, who according to many on here have a pish manager and a squad that doesn't come close to ours.

If you deem that as massive success then I despair.

To your second point about tactics. What game are you referencing? Off the top of my head, he played Callum McGregor at left back against Cluj - we lost and got knocked out. That was quite literally a case of him trying to be clever and getting caught out. He played a midfielder up top against Ferencvaros, despite having Ajeti and Klimala fit and in the squad. Again, we lost. £8m worth of strikers on the bench, Klimala having been here since January, by the way - oh and Lennon signed him.

We're clearly not going to agree because your standards seem to have dropped to a ridiculous degree. Massive success is winning trophies and getting into the CL. Winning trophies and being knocked out by fairly average sides from Romania and Hungary is not massive success. It's going backwards.

When Rodgers was in charge, we would have been fairly disappointed to finish 4th in our CL group, and we were fuming when we lost against AEK in the qualifiers. Now some people appear to be fine with not even getting to the final qualifying round because "oh well, he didn't have his strongest XI available to him, what else could he do?"

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Obviously ffs. But the way Moravcik responded did not indicate that he thought he was being reasonable at all.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Was Hibs a success? Yes. Was it anything worthy of getting the Celtic job? Not even close.

I’ve dissected it loads of times because I just wasn’t that impressed by it.

Stubbs didn’t get promotion his two years. But he got them 70 points and 2nd above Rangers who they then lost to in the playoffs. He then got 70 points again and was beaten by Falkirk in the playoffs. But that season he got Hibs to both cup finals, winning the Scottish cup.

Lennon comes in with Hearts and Rangers both out the league now and gets them promoted with 71 points. 1 more than Stubbs managed in 2nd and 3rd place. Just shows you. The cups were a none starter for him.

4th in the league first year back was great. He had a good team and had them winning. It wasn’t an overachievement with that squad. If Stubbs had done it I doubt he’d get anywhere near the credit that some Celtic fans seem to give Lennon.

He won 3 domestic cups out of 9 in his first stint. Are you happy with that? People seem to only talk about his success and sweep his failures under the carpet. It’s very strange. It’s not just black or white, success or failure. People are breaking it down and making their judgement in a logical way. You’re not. If anyone is selective it’s you, yet others are being accused instead.

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Someone said it before but Lennon should be allowed to bring back mjallby our best defensive displays where with him and Lenny in the 2 games against Barcelona ..... I think their was a falling out between them two aswell didn’t take him to Bolton .... another falling out surprise surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Disagree scouting a player buys has been ten times better under Lennon that Rodgers it’s the coaching where the team is being let down look at the signings Lennon has made past two seasons on paper it’s been more widespread and higher percentage of them are in the first team same can’t be said for Rodgers

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    And? Your still finding it tiresome supporting Celtic, you think Lenny is a coward and a malicious liar.
    Have I missed something slugger?

7. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just watching the Lille game again. In the second half we generally appeared to be tight, compact and well organised, but we were just so desperate to hang onto the lead. It's all about confidence for us at the moment. If we can just string a few wins together, and just as importantly a few good, confident performances, our resolve may be renewed. Much as I hate it, Rangers are definitely a threat this year. But they're only competent, nothing special. We have that element of greatness in our team. We just have to believe in ourselves. We can do this. Neil can do this. There's no one I'd rather see lift the ten in a row champions trophy at the end of the season than Neil Lennon. Imagine the gut wrenching, never ending pain this will bring to the orcs and all those who wish us ill, especially when they're so full of themselves at the moment. Let them think they're a chance in October. We'll see who's on top in May. * them. HH

Sydneysider, Slaw and Pogues like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The games in hand suit us I remember back in 07 they boasted about being in front on points whilst we had 3 or 2 games in hand and they capitulated

kramer1 likes this.
  9. Pogues

You've dissected Neil Lennons time at Hibs loads of times? What just to prove he's a * manager. * *, there's nae point debating this with you.

10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I missed the first half, typical, but we must have played very well to go in to the break with a 2 goal lead. Hopefully the catalyst to push us on and snap out of these drab performances. Tomorrow is massive.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He didn't just "win the league and cup"; he won every single domestic trophy that was put in front of him. Every single one. He also took us out of the EL groups. I absolutely call that success.

I did and do actually think he screwed up against Cluj. I've always said that was his mistake. I have to give you that one. However, I think just expecting him to qualify this season with the players we've had missing, unfit or (in Eddy's case) in unbelievably bad form due to talk of moves isn't really fair on Lennon and massively unrealistic. that was always going to be a tough ask for any manager.

If you despair at me judging winning every single domestic trophy and winning our EL group as success, then I don't know what to say? What could you possibly be basing that level of expectation on? MON when we had sublime players and one of the best coaches in the UK? Strachan when we had Naka and Boruc? Those first two seasons under Rodgers where we hadone of the best coaches in Europe had been well backed?

That's not the norm and if you think that's the norm, you're going to be doing an awful lot of this despairing in the coming decades.

As I said, I agree about Cluj. It's worth noting Rodgers (who no one sensible denies is an excellent coach) made the exact same * up against Rangers.
    As for Ferencvaros, Ajeti was nowhere near fit and Klimala was the 3/4 fit unproven young boy I was referring to.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  12. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I fear we'll lose him again because of the knee * reactions from our fans. No appreciation what so ever from many.

Sydneysider and johnfife1959 like this.
  13. SuperZidane

Lose him to wh
    Lose him to where exactly? I don't think there will be a queue of clubs offering him a job. Even, if he did get another role, it would be a massive step down from Celtic. As long as Desmond and Lawwell don't take any action, he won't be going anywhere.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    OK, that's fair. I was trying to score points and I apologise.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

He was also a very underrated part of our development coaching IIRC. That's not a bad shout at all.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

When people over praise him it and bring it up as if it’s proof he’s some sort of brilliant coach. It’s obviously an exaggeration, but I’ve still to have a counter argument. You can’t debate it because there’s no debate.

Pablo87 likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I said I still support the team every time. If you’re still happy after monumental failures in Europe, dropping points due to our own mistakes and * performances against the huns then fair * to you. I’m not, I want change. I don’t shell out on a season ticket during a pandemic for something I don’t care about.

Btw, I said he wasn’t a coward or a malicious liar. Read the * posts.

There’s something off about you.

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    So many extreme views on the past few pages, unwilling to accept an inch of criticism or give any credit.

The performance against Lille was an improvement and Neil deserves a lot of credit for the result. We capitulated in the 2nd half, and Ntcham should’ve been brought off sooner, but be did manage to hang on and secure what is, in the balance of things, a good result.

Trying to assess Lennons performance in his current tenure as manager really isn’t that difficult. He’s been successful domestically thus far, although is clearly now going through his most difficult spell. Europe has been much more of a mixed bag. I maintain that anyone expecting him to qualify for the CL last season was either underestimating the rebuilding job he had to do, or overestimating the ability of the players we had. That said, we should’ve made a much better effort of it this year. We went out to a team assembled on a fraction of our budget who were basically out on their feet.

This season, criticism absolutely is justified. Circumstances out with his control haven’t helped, but we’ve very clearly looked poorly coached, vulnerable from set pieces, and largely disorganised. For me, those are the sort of areas of a side that tell you the most about the calibre of coaching taking place, and we’re very clearly falling short.

I hope he turns it around - I believe everyone here hope he turns it around - and I think the midweek game showed some early signs of a turn around. Make no mistake though, he is going through a very difficult spell as manager and is really only 90 minutes away from the pressure being right back on him.

Big els likes this.
  19. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    The criticism is 100% justified but we move on tomorrow. I still think he is 2 bad results away from losing the gig. I hope he turns it round though

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The league and league cup were the only ones put in front of him? Why are you making it sound like more.

Beating Ferencvaros wasn’t unrealistic. We have a better squad than them, with the injuries we had at the time which was just Edouard from the starting 11. If Ajeti, Klimala and even Harper were fit enough for the bench, one of them should of started the game. Even 45 mins or so with a striker to establish yourself in the game would of been the right move.

You don’t think it’s normal for Celtic to be successful like MON, Strachan and Rodgers? You’d settle for less? I honestly can’t get my head round this mentality.

It’s not even about success at the minute, it’s about competent performances. Lille is the first I’ve seen in a very long time.

oh bhoy likes this.