1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stevoEOS

Yip, been thinking exactly the same. I gather he was the consummate professional as well. That’s not to say Strachan isn’t but it’s definitely a contender for our dip in form (and potentially fitness levels as well?). Could also just be coincidence. F knows but hopefully we’re starting to turn a corner.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You know what I find tiresome? Finding the energy to support my team when they let me down time after time. That’s what this season has been so far. But every single time I’m supporting them and that includes Lennon.

That’s despite me not believing he earned the job. I never wanted him back, he wasn’t even on the shortlist.

I don’t believe he’s a good coach or a tactician. He’s a man manager and that can only take you so far. A lot of players love playing for him because he makes you feel like you’re on top of the world. It’s great to have in a team, but it’s times like this under pressure when good coaches turn things around. But he hasn’t. He still can, but it’s going to take a hefty effort from all the players and the staff to help him do it. He’s always been stubborn. You don’t stick with the same team after a game like Ferencvaros. You just don’t do it. He did. We won 3-0. It paid off but it is stubbornness. He’s got a stubbornness of sticking with out of form players and he done it his first stint too. You are saying we have been missing all sorts of players too but they’ve all been there at times and we’ve been * then too.

The last thing I think is he’s a coward. I also don’t think he lies maliciously, but he does protect his players from the media and I believe a lot of the “fitness” stuff is a form of that. I have no problem with it. He can’t lie to the media and tell us the truth unfortunately.

You don’t have to reply to this, you’re getting it from all angles. Just wanted to write out my thoughts. We all want the best for this club, that’s all it comes down to. That’s with or without Lennon, but nobody wants him to fail.

Mr Shelby, Cena and cidermaster like this.
  3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I know I have been very critical of Lennon and if he turns it around I'll be first to say fair *... I hope he does but I dont see any evidence he is capable of it...

Also questions need to asked why players like Griffiths, Soro, Turnball, Klimala, Rogic are deemed not fit enough or good enough to play 3 months into a season... these are professional athletes

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  4. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I like Neil, I admire his fortitude and strength shown in a country whose majority population and establishment hate him and everything he is and who he represents.

After 50 years on this planet, thank goodness many of them on foreign shores away from the incessant bigotry of Scotland, I want 10. I want to ram it down the throats of this bigoted shithole as it will be a dagger to the hearts of every twisted establishment * that still prevail in the “best wee country in the world”.

A quadruple treble for the potential QuadraFenians will be swept under the carpet and ignored by the same *. Just wait till the day that the spawn of the spawn of Satan FC actually win something. There will be a national holiday and blue white and red bunting in the streets!

AT ALL COSTS I want these * crushed.

Whether we agree or not, Neil is in charge. He’s a * stubborn * though and he needs to get a grip of himself first and foremost. The Lewis Morgan experiment last year and the no strikers episode this year was and were a disgrace. Trying to fit big * square pegs into round holes is just not on.

He represents us as he needs to give himself a shake. So do the players!

Everyone praising Ely last night when I would have kicked his * for shocking decision making on three occasions that could have put the game out of sight. It’s about levels. Two great goals, but absolute glaring * nonsense later on!

Neil sees to have a blind spot with Ntcham. I’d send that coward to train with rugby players for a week then see if he could put an actual tackle in.

I’m having a rant, but Lenny is the boss and he’s not above criticism, equally the players really need to step it up.

5. Pogues

He's forced to play Duffy cause he's no one else he can play due to injuries. Doesn't suggest its the best squad in years.

Agree it's been poor so far this season but FFS it's October and players are coming back.

You ever watch Celtic teams away in Europe under Rodgers and MON. Embarrassing at times. Don't remember anyone wanting them sacked.

We have 11 talented players who can't perform for 90 minutes? Surely players must take responsibility.

Anyway mate, Lennon is here to stay this season, get behind him.

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I have no problem getting behind him mate and I know hes not going anywhere this season.. But he needs to start sorting this out before it's too late... his decision making needs to improve and quick and he needs to trust his squad... if not we are * this season...

Pogues likes this.
  7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Faithful through and through indeed.

Do you only support Celtic because we win most of the time? Personally I never tire of supporting Celtic win lose or draw.

For it's a grand old team..

8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    More selective drivel. The way you pick and choose events and results to suit your opinion of Neil Lennon is actually cringeworthy. You want to completely disregard his achievements but scrutinise his faults, you need to sort your head out mate, if you could read what you type on here from an unbiased viewpoint you would be hitting the delete button. You spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince people Neil Lennon is useless, people will make their own minds up about Lenny, trying to tell people to ignore his triumphs while banging on about the disappointments isnt doing you any favours. Im being serious when I say I see you as a bit of a joke to be honest, I read your posts for the comedy value. The level of biased negativity towards Lennon in your posts is pretty amusing, its a case of 'what the * is he going to come out with now', you really cant expect people to take you seriously.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Take the time to read the following sentences baw heed.

elbhoydo likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think you mean Neil Lennon.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You're letting your dislike of that poster cloud your views on what he's said. You may not agree with him but he's made fairly reasonable points.

12. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    you thought right. Neil Lennon, Lenny, Neil, Lennon...whatever floats your boat. Id imagine you would go with - Neil 'worst manager in the history of football' Lennon.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Put it this way, let's say he wins the 10 this season and decides to leave next summer after seeing it through. What calibre of club do you honestly think would be in for him? The highest level I could see would be bottom half Championship clubs down south. But really, I wouldn't be surprised if he just chucks management altogether.

Whereas, Rodgers left us to go to Leicester who play in Europe and not too long ago won the EPL. MON went to Villa, an established EPL club.

He's a Celtic man and has shown he can motivate the team when we play better teams. He gets the club and he can transmit that to players. But I honestly think those motivational skills and man management are as far as it goes with him. I think when it comes to tactics, fitness, the more nuanced parts of modern day football - he is severely lacking.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Unlikely, if I'm honest.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

How’s it selective when he’s mentioned the good and bad.

He’s not exactly wrong about what he’s said.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well for a start, I don't claim he's as good as good a coach as MON was or Rodgers is. He isn't. I still think he's a good coach.

Regarding where he would go, I don't know. I don't think the English market is particularly rational for players or managers. I'm more interested in his record rather than speculation about where he'll go after.
    First spell at Celtic- success. Bolton-fail. Hibs- success. First season and a half back at Celtic- massive success.

But how do you know? Neither of us have the foggiest idea what his tactical knowledge is. It's all just speculation. His results aren't speculation, and they've been good.

A lot of the criticism his tactics get are things that are forced on him. I've literally seen him heavily criticised on here for playing a false 9 when he simply didn't have a fully fit striker. What's more likely? That he had a one-off moment of madness, tried to be clever and got caught out (a conclusion that some on here drew) or that he (in common with a great many other managers) was not willing to risk a 3/4-fit, unproven young boy or a nowhere-near-fit new signing who hadn't started a game yet in a massive game?

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Be patient. As key players either return or get match fit, you'll see a very different Celtic. Give it a few weeks.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think being selective and making reasonable points are incompatible, though. It's what's left out rather than what's said that makes something selective. Here's a concrete example:

This is true. It's a reasonable point. It's also very selective as it ignores the fact that we haven't had the best squad in terms of available players so far this season. The Huns have. That will change very soon as we get folk back.

19. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

This. We had a wage bill of 60 million which was good for 10th in the Europa League a couple of years ago and I'd imagine it's only increased since.

We massively underperform relative to what we spend.

Management has definitely contributed to this (losing to Cluj and Ferencvaros in the manner we did is frankly inexcusable) but scouting is also a wider and more significant problem.

20. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

What exactly about that post was 'selective' ?