1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

LOSC Lille (2) v Celtic (2)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by KevMan, Oct 25, 2020.

Discuss LOSC Lille (2) v Celtic (2) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So you can joke about thousands killed but not about our poor wee Alfredo?

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Disappointed with the goals we lost but I'm finding it hard to be upset with a point from that match.

That was one of the toughest matches we'll play all season and we done terrifically well to get a point from it.

Still lots of things to work on but some great performances and a decent away result we can be proud of going into the cup semi.

Calmac and Laxalt were fantastic tonight, and it was great to see Elyounoussi get on the end of one of Frimpong's crosses.

Still very shaky at the back and some of our decision making in the final 3rd leaves a lot to be desired but it's a good first step on the road to redemption for Lenny and the bhoys.

3. Trequartista

I guess it’s one of they ones where you’d have bit someone’s hand off for a point beforehand but are actually disappointed considering how the game played out.

First half I thought we got the game plan spot on and put in a really good ‘away from home in Europe’ performance. The shape of the team was on point when we were pressing them high up and got a lot of joy in it. Both of Moi’s goal were tremendous finishes and counters from us and Ajeti should bury his from 6 yards.

Second half, it was clear as day that our team was blowing out their *, especially the middle 3, after 60 odd minutes which is worrying. Their subs really influenced the game for them and why Lennon waited until the 80th minute I have no idea. First goal, again the basics of switching on when defending has cost us. The second we’ve got 3 players around their one who scored yet can’t block it, pretty poor in my book.

We got into a lot of good positions to win it but our decision making in the final third was appalling on a good few occasions.

Duffy really needs to be taking out of the firing line for everyone’s sake. The one in the first half where he goes out to try and win a header in the right back position was embarrassing. The penalty that never was, the actual foul itself was daft as all he had to do was show the guy down the outside. Just a pity Ajer is out now and we’ll need to endure him for longer.

Foley1888 and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Eddy was pointless bringing on, we have a forward Who is match fit, sharper and scored in his last game sitting doing nothing on the bench in Griff.

Ntcham should have been replaced first and Duffy should have been taken off at that time as well for me.

Lennon’s. Subs once again where horrendous.

5. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Missed the game last night because I was working. Was it a 4-2-3-1 with Ntcham in the #10?

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    In hindsight the Eddy swap wasn't great, but it definitely wasn't pointless. We need Eddy back and on form asap, and with such an important game coming up you can see why Lenny would have wanted to give him some game time before that. As you said Griff is already up to speed, but Eddy has some catching up to do due to after his lay off from covid. Had Lenny purely been focussed on this game Griff would have been the obvious choice but, rightly or wrongly, he was clearly looking beyond that.

There was zero chance of Duffy being replaced after Ajer had already been taken off injured. If Ajer had still been on maybe, but there is no way he's taking him off after that and have Welsh and Bitton as our CB pairing. Ntcham should definitely have been hooked at the same time Eddy came on though, that was clear.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not defending his substitutions, or lack thereof, I can just see why he did what he did (mostly), even if I don't agree with it.

7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Spot on!

callumrae1967 likes this.
  8. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Mixed feeling about the game last night. I think losing a two goal lead in the manner we did is quite poor. I get that Lille are are decent European side and that. But the goals we lost were * poor.

The first goal, from yet another set piece. On the replay, you can see Ryan Christie turn and look for Celik, who has begun his move to attack the back post. Instead of matching it, Christie turns away and holds his position. Even though he seen the movement, he never reacted. I get that he is essentially marking that area. But he has to recognise the danger. The latter also applies for the 2nd goal. We were slightly unlucky that the ball even made its way to Ikone. However we had 4 players stand off Ikone and allow him to turn and get a shot away from around the penalty spot. No-one went to close him down and keep him with his back to goal, which would have made his chances much harder.

The players did put a lot of effort in and fatigue was visible in the 2nd half performance. We didn't retain or have enough possession and allow us some time on the ball. As a result the pressure grew and mistakes were made.

Concentration and decision making has hampered us all season, from Julien at Rugby Park to Duffy last Sunday. Poor decisions punished and points dropped.

Defensively, we still have a way to go. I thought in the 2nd half we could have been a bit smarter with in then full backs. Frimpong and Laxalt pressed a bit too much and left gaps in behind, rather than just holding position. I think Frimpong and Christie were a bit ropey with passing players on to each other. Laxalt shown great energy all night and worked well with Mo El, look to have formed a good partnership early on. In the build up to the penalty that was a foul outside the box. Laxalt and Ajer had squeezed the play, meanwhile Duffy and Frimpong were 5 yards deeper. Ball was played through, Ajer couldn't intercept and Duffy was left 1 v 1, with a quick player and in a situation which he has struggled with this season. Wasn't much in the challenge and it wasn't a penalty.

Thought Ajeti done well in spells, don't think the lone role suits him at all. However he gave a good go of it. Good pressure and a lovely wee pass for Mo El in the build-up to the opening goal. Mo El scored two and could have had more. Although it was no definite, had he taken one of the chances in the 2nd half. We could have taken 3 points.

Cannot fault the players for effort. Just fell a bit short in a few areas.

In terms of Lille, I think we can take a bit from their showing in the 2nd half and apply it to our game when we face sides sitting with numbers behind the ball. As we sat off deeper they had at least 3 bodies up(even 4)against our backline. The players stayed in central areas. We narrowed our shape. Leaving loads of space in the wide areas for them to attack. For me this is something I would like us to utilise at some point. As we have struggled against sides who sit deep and with numbers behind the ball.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I get what you are saying but what message does it send to Griff.

I honestly think that Lennon was cut throat enough to drop Barkas he should do the same with Duffy.

I think he ducked it up big time. Lennon has made excuses in the past regarding his subs and saying they need game
    Time but bringing them on 10 minutes before the end.

Eddy was pointless because Ajeti was working his * off.

I hope that Lennon starts to learn. I won’t hold my breath though

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I think I seen someone else make this point - Lille and AC Milan away are the hardest teams we’ll play all season. Getting a positive result was a good step against them after where we have been.

Think Lille had only conceded 4 goals all season up until last night and only 1 at home. We could’ve easily taken 3 or more off them. Even when it went 2-2, I thought there was a Rome moment in us on the break, particularly when Frimpong goes through.

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed. Normally losing a 2-0 half time lead you would be raging. But for me that was a good point on the road against a really good European side who are bang on form. Still work to do for us but that was definitely more like it last night.

12. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    While I agree with this the story could have been far more positive if our game management had been better. We were in such a strong position. Not for the first time Lenny has * the subs and tactics and been reactive rather than proactive. We saw it against Fenercvaros, Milan, Motherwell etc.

This does not show he is learning from previous errors. And let’s be honest some of the managerial decisions are baffling.

As others have said in this thread and others, it is not unreasonable to demand a dominant, controlling and positive performance for 90 mins, particularly against domestic dross. I expect us to come under the cosh away in Europe at some point but nevertheless Lenny should be preemptive and adjust tactics and subs accordingly. He doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk