1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

This is spot on.

Hammy89, Double Dutch and Liam Scales like this.
  2. ddub11

If we can build on tonight's performance thats great how ever if we fail to progress(performance wise)then tonight will mean nothing.

3. SuperZidane

I think that's a generally fair assessment of the game. I think Lennon does deserve a lot of credit for the first half no doubt. The effort of the players was unquestionable which was great to see. Unfortunately, the second half really highlighted Lennon's weakness - he is pretty inept tactically and, after 10 years in management I don't see that improving.

Lille changed their tactics and Lennon simply didn't know how to respond. They fully deserved to get back to 2-2 (anything more would have been an unfair reflection of the game). Yet again most of his substitutions were way too late - and why the **** wasn't "ollie" taken off much earlier - couldn't run 2 yards in the 2nd half.

Certainly a respectable result but, IMO, when we play a decent team whose manager has good tactical knowledge we'll always be up against it.

Well done to Lennon for the first 45 tonight but I'm not going to lie. A better manager could get a lot more out of the squad we have this season.

4. Big C

Unfortunately I have to agree. I think we are too passive and in my opinion that comes from the manager. I’m not saying he should be giving himself a heart attack but a bit of shouting and balling wouldn’t go a miss at times. I think he’s went too reserved.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was never gonna be a quick fix..

Gonna take us a while before we get it sorted fully I think..

The annoying thing is we're no too far off being a decent side..

Hopefully it all clicks on Sunday..

6. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I really really really want him to succeed and be the man that leads us to the 10.

With each passing game however i have doubts creeping in that he can't.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It isn’t only an issue in this thread. Praise, followed by criticism is exactly what I’m asking for here. I certainty haven’t suggested anything otherwise.

We must be reading it differently here, because the immediate reaction for me wasn’t one of praise for his tactical setup and criticism of his in game management. The latter was much more prominent.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Exactly what I’m getting at.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Aye that's fair enough man. Trying to look for positives after going to town on Lenny and the team lately. Decent point and hopefully we kick on from here and learn from it and improve.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Connolly08

Not convinced with the second half we've seen it too often were we take the lead or are a few goals to the good and we try to sit in and it just doesn't work. We even seen the 3-5-2 emerge in the last 5 mins. So frustrating seeing us score good goals then absolutely throw it away with poor mistakes in the defence. Every set piece or ball into the Celtic box is a danger now. Big Forster used to give us some comfort but we no longer have that commanding figure making massive saves or plucking those crosses out the air. I'm concerned, not so much by the result tonight as Europe's a bonus but the teams fragility at the back has been our downfall for a number of years and I'm not sure I see it being fixed anytime soon which could cost us points and trophys domestically this season.

12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tonight was a massive step in the right direction for me.

It was frustrating how deep we were in the second half but a team that’s joint top in France were always going to come out all guns blazing. We did very well to get into the position we did in the first place though and had chances for more.

We need to beat Prague at home and we’re right back in it.

bobs1974, Callum McGregor and Pogues like this.
  13. Pogues

I agree with this. They're a good team and we're always going to put us under pressure 2nd half. I thought Lennon got it right with team selection and tactics but the weak link is Duffy, too many mistakes in him which puts us under pressure, but he's forced to play him at the moment.

Lots of positives tonight, we played some great football, Ely looked back to his best, laxalt looked quality and edouard back playing. Some folk too quick to turn on Lennon.

bobs1974 likes this.
  14. aliceinsound

Talk about spin; this was their only signing that cost anything and it was to replace a striker that they sold for €60 million. It was also euros not pounds so less than £30 million.

It's a good result without kidding on with the "too wee too poor" stuff. We are more than financially capable of competing at this level

15. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    First half was great had everything that was lacking all season we pressed them everywhere on the pitch specially up top , the tempo was there and players throwing themselves at every shot i loved it .
    Second half we let them come at us no pressing at all and against teams like that eventially they will score .
    If we play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season i will be a very happy man

16. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    If the halves were reversed and we were 2 nil down and turned it around would there still be as many criticisms? I don't think so and for me there is no difference.
    We were always going to end up under pressure in this game at some point but I can agree changes should have been made earlier.
    I believe we now have a chance to kick on and build some positive domestic results.

Upwards and onwards Bhoys and Ghirls HH

Sean Daleer and Metrobhoy like this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Was dissappointed with two points dropped last night but I don't really care about Europe this season. Was fantastic to see edoaurd back and good to see soro and Welsh get minutes but Lennon needs to follow that up with soro getting another 20/30 at the weekend. I like the look of soro. He could be a massive benefit to us and I felt McGregor even looked better when soro came on. Hard to be critical of elyounassi but that's his sort of game, plenty of space for him in first half , we really need to see him having that influence away to Motherwell and Hibs. Ntcham generally starts well in games and dramatically fades, I thought he looked out on his feet in the lead up to their equaliser. It seems obvious Lennon is trying to stir up a bit of a siege mentality within the team, comments about people critical of him and certain players. It may work or it may not with the modern footballer. I was pleasantly surprised that they seemed to be playing for him last night

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

bobs1974 likes this.
  18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Great post, 100% agree credit when credit is due regarding the first half bit Lennon was clueless in the second half.

thailandceltic likes this.
  19. celtic warrior

First half was magical, team played a near prefect game against arguably the best form team in France right now.

Ajeti and Elyounoussi looked world class with their clever play and link up, especially for the first goal, * *, what a goal, Rogic been teaching guys how to bang a shot.

Then Ajer gets * and subbed off and whilst I missed thr second half I feel like that ended up really changing the dynamics of play.

It's a game we could have won if it weren't for Ajeti straying offside, a lot of positives 5o take from this unlike other games previously, but by * we need to sort our defence out, Bain at least needs to stay in the 11 for now.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member