1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    No probably not but it shows how desperate I am to get rid of Lennon. Wonder if hed fancy a defence coaching job.

2. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I creamed masel for Duffy but in my defence I am clueless about football and was razzed up by all the excitement.

charlietully and Valhalla like this.
  3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Anyone who say's tactics are not a massive part of Football or vitally important to a team like us even needs but look at Leeds United and Bielsa, their team is full of what where/arguably still are bang average championship players with a few good championship players, now tbf they have signed a couple of "Prem quality players". With a lot of the same squad he's had over the past 2 years he's got them flying in the Prem, he doesn't go out and tell them just to win, nor do they have better players than most of the Prem teams in fact its the opposite, man for man they are poor in comparison to most sides in the Prem but his system and the rigorous coaching and tactical training he gives his players means they are able to not only compete but excel in a league that is full of players better than theres.

Chris Wilders Sheffield United last season where another great example of fantastic coaching which allowed them to excel in the league, so far this season however it looks like teams have found them out.

Tactics and coaching are massive in football no matter what level the players you have and to say otherwise or that its all about the team that wants it most wins more often than not is bollocks tbh otherwise any old * could be in charge of teams. Lennon is a poor coach and a poor tactician and its very * clear to see.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I certainty haven’t heard that from him. He might downplay their importance relative to having good players, but that’s and entirety separate, and more nuanced argument.

“Out style of play was not working in the first 20 minutes and we tried to get that message to the players. We switched to plan B and that was more successful in terms of chances.”

“The players have their own ideas about how the game should be won, but it won't be tolerated. I'll get less skilful players in who play the game the way I think it should be played.”

He mentioned playing a back four that he's not got widemen. I think if you have a look at Liverpool their widemen are their full-backs in a back four and all they need is maybe a sitting midfield player in front of the two centre-backs and I think that's the way he will get on with it.”

All quotes from Strachan.

He clearly believes in tactics, and their impact on the outcome of a game. I’m not sure how this point can even be debated tbh. Strachan‘a Celtic team we’re arguably the most tactically disciplined I’ve seen, and they were definitely the side where tactics allowed us to achieve things way beyond the sum of our parts.

Tactics exist in all team sports and football isn’t some sort of unique anomaly to this. The recognition of their importance has only grown over the past few decades.

Tim-Time 1888 and MacEwan like this.
  5. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    some fans are completely brainwashed by the board into thinking were some wee club that can only feed off the scraps of managers that are "like minded" and are currently available.
    Absolutely incapable of processing the thought we could go out and be the big club we are and just take someone else's manager.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

So the Eddie Howe rumours are gethering some momentum, can't mind who suggested it last week in here and I was quite dismissive..

Given the last two games, I'd definitely be up for that.. A modern coach who would get the best out of our talent..

Not saying Lenny has lost the dressing room but he's definitely not getting the most out of the squad and it saddens me to say, its now more of a gamble to keep him.

Howe is available, he won't be for long.

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't understand what you mean? Am not having a dig but MON and McCarthy have both proven themselves to be fantastic managers. Whilst am not saying am done with Lennon (yet) I think most would be happy with either or these appointments?

8. dmccourt95

Both are finished in the modern game

9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some mental posts in here the past few days. Just stick 11 players on the pitch and hope they win ... pure sunday league.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    McCarthy has never been a fantastic manager.

O’Neill is a dinosaur.

Fucksake they’ve both been punted from the * Ireland job for not being good enough :giggle1:

ddub11, ThatBhoyLarsson and Bobo_ like this.
  11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    To be honest Mccarthy could possibly steady the ship but not sure anymore than that. MON is more of a dinosaur than the above. Keane, * that.

thailandceltic likes this.
  12. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Theyre not fantastic managers in the modern game. The times have passed O'Neil by and Mccarthy is on the same path. Mccarthy did a decent job with ireland that focused on results which are all that matters in international football but he wouldn't bring us any further forward in footballing terms.

it's the small club mentality and the fact we keep appointing people that have previous experience in the club or knows someone that has (Strachans son ffs). This is what has people thinking we are limited to what won't cost us any compensation and can come in with a knowledge of the club already. When neither of these should be factors , only the second should be a plus at most. We should be going out and getting the best guy available to bring us forward as a club.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  13. celtic warrior

I'm unsure about Howe, I don't know why.

Maybe it's skewed because of Bournemouth getting relegated, but I don't see him improving our defence a single bit if he was manager.

Think if the board were serious, they'd be able to go a little higher. I couldn't name who though.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    MONs Ireland was the worst football I have ever witnessed.

I think you are being hard on Big Mick. He left because his contract was up..

Didnt help that Ireland have the worst squad of players in about 30 years in fairness

15. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Either Eddie Howe or go for Rafa

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Wasn't it preplanned Kenny would take over Summer 20? Originally planned to take over post euros

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    [
    it seems so is our current manager the way it’s going if that’s the case.

18. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    * stevie clark would sort the defence out and get players playing to a system that wins games.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Eddie Howe will not be manager of Celtic anytine soon, I'd put a hefty wager on that. Think it's a non starter

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's not even we would be taking the passion out of the equation because we're not even seeing that from Lenny this time. He was never a master technician but you could always count on that fire, he looks devoid of that passion and ideas.