1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You cant keep a man like Neil Lennon down, many have tried and failed. Im backing Neil Lennon to rise like a Phoenix from the flames and claim 10 in a row. I would like a full and frank apology from all the doubters on here when the great man delivers 10 League Titles in a row. You will see, you will all see.

Sydneysider likes this.
  2. wulliebad

Think we will find out rather quickly if he is the man for the job,Europe aside, if we don't lift our game and start battering teams i would have him replaced by xmas.

3. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    TBH, we all hope he does. The board are not going to get rid of Lennon so we need to all back him. I do hope that even if he does the 10 he leaves at the end of the season as my opinion is managers get 2-3 years at a club now before things need freshened up.

ede likes this.
  4. Foley1888

Given it will mean we have won 10 in a row, I will happily apologise for anything negative that has been said.

5. freitassen

Christmas is too late. This year due to the pandemic the diddy teams are worse than ever. There will be very few occasions where the Huns will drop points to the pathetic opposition we struggle to beat. If we are too much behind the Huns by that point, it is game over.

He already had way too many chances and needs to be sacked now. I know it won't happen but it's what should happen

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Tuned to the * moon.

7. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    I feel like there's discontent in the dressing room or something for our games to be as stale as they have been. Still cannot believe how * that weekend there was.

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Need some of what you're on! Would love nothing more than to see lenny silence the doubters including myself and turn this around. This feels different from other dips in form and something feels way off in terms of tactical setup and players not responding.

IF he manages to turn things, he deserves all the apologies and praise he will no doubt get, that's unquestionable.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think everyone would.

Posts like that you quoted are just sitting on the fence. Not willing to call when things clearly arent right but still looks fine and can turn round and say "I told you so" if things get better.

No true celtic fan wants neil lennon or any celtic manager for that matter, to fail. But any fan with a bit of sense can see things arent right. Doesnt mean we wont love if it can be turned around.

Think some people mistake that.

Keano88, stew37 and Peej like this.
  10. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Nobody here hates Neil Lennon. He is one of us, but we are no happy with his performances. Obviously we would all be over the moon if he wins the league and gets us 10IAR. But I still want to see him go even after that. He is not the man to take us forwards, that is very evident!

Peej likes this.
  11. celtic warrior

Every single fan, in an ideal, fanciful world would 100% pick Lennon as our guy to lift 10iar and give a real * you to the backwater, cesspit of Scottish football.

For all us that would be a complete dream, to see a man such as Lennon, go through what he has a player and manager for this club.

We don't live in such a world though, our love and admiration for him will never lessen, but for the here and now, for the title, for domestic success in other competitions - he's not what we need.

Personally, I'd sack him after tonight if we lose and play anything close to like what we did against scum.

Don't give a * if it's AC Milan and they got guys like Ibra, we should still be able to see light through tunnel with some semblance of an improved game. If we don't and it near mimics Saturday then Lennon must go.

The board must be rounded up and locked in CP until we get them to commit financially to bringing in a manager akin to rat. * what people say about the rat as an individual, but he's the calibre of manager needed right * now.

I see rafa and poch are still available, i had to inject some humour here somewhere to lighten then mood:56::56:

MyNameIsMartin and Peej like this.
  12. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I just hate people saying that Lennon was under a strict budget, he did what he could with no backing, we’d struggle to find someone with the same budget, etc etc..

Once and for all I want to quell this notion that Lenny was a cheap option and has not been backed.

Lennon has had a very decent budget since he took over.

This summer he spend 5m on Ajeti, 4.5m on Barkas, 3.25m on Turnbull and the loans for Laxalt and Duffy probably cost a few million in wages and fees too.

Last season he bought Julien for 7m, Soro for 2m, Klimala for 3.5m, Taylor for 3m, Bolingoli for 3m, Elhamed for 1.6m. Loan for Fraser probably wasn’t cheap too.

So he has spend around 15 million this season so far and at least 20 million last season. Think that is probably even more than Rodgers had over the same time period.

So he has had funds but he wasted it on buying a bunch of “backup” players because for whatever reasons he signs players like Soro for 2 million and refuses to play him. Then buying duds like our two left backs for 6m and both are complete dross and we now loan another left back to replace those two. Thats where the money has been spent or wasted I should say.

With the money he has spent, he should be doing a lot better. Even against the huns he has a good squad so no excuses for missing those players. The fact that the players and even Lenny in the dugout did not even look bothered when they scored, thats what got me furious

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure if you mean it to sound as gloom, but I don't think the dealings have been all that bad to be fair

Taylor is what he is, and I think we all knew he was the backup option, stupid to spend £3million on him.

But on the whole, boli is the only disaster.
    Julian, elhamed, klimala, ajeti, barkas I think can all be deemed as decent purchases. still early days, but all look fair.
    Soro and Turnbull absolutely need more time to judge in any capacity.

Ely is a player, if played in position and Duffy is certainly jury still out. On early form I wouldn't sign him perm, but he has shown in part what he can be.

You're 100% right though, he has been backed regardless. And he needs to take his responsibility with this squad now. He's been given the tools and no key players been sold from under him.
    What happens next is all on him and he can not blame anyone else bar himself.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

14. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Certainly I agree some of his dealing has been decent. Like bringing in Foster and Ely on loans. Julien, Elhamed and Ajeti are good buys. Jury still out on Barkas, Turnbull, Duffy and Laxalt.

Think Klimala, Bolingoli, Soro and Taylor was a waste though. They may be half decent players and certainly good enough for SPL level but we should be aiming higher than that. I put Klimala in here because I think once all our strikers are fit he will be fourth choice and that means a waste of money as he could have spent that money elsewhere (such as defence) and have a reserve/development squad player as fourth choice. He could have used the 11-12million spent on these four players to buy two top class players like Edouard and Julien instead of buying these “projects”.

Peej likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not much I can disagree with, bar klimala. But even then, I agree with the option to ustilise the youth for the fourth choice - that's not klimala fault though, but I feel he is more than good enough to be that role and enough in him to develop and fight for a better role.
    He ain't going to be a dembele or Édouard sort of project though, either way.

We are woeful at spending money though and fully agree the 10million+ wasted on some players is criminal. This current board have been terrible for sanctioning these deals and allowing managers to not use them for nearly two decades now.

Reckon every two years if we stopped * around with strikers in the price range of klimala, balde, Fortune, and all the loan deals as well, to bring in two or three randoms, we could just go sign an ajeti every two years, ready made strikers.

16. TheHappyLoss

If Lenny is our manager all season we should win the league and I think we will. Thing is would I be gutted if he left and I must admit I wouldn’t. There’s been managers and players in the past that you lived in fear of losing, sadly I don’t feel that way about Neil. He’s a legend as a player, manager and Celtic man so it would be sad but.....

17. davidhannah

There's a whole breed of spoiled Celtic fans, used to success and clearly, quite understandably angry with the World! Put your toys back in the pram. There's never been a league won in October! You can't keep a man like Neil Lennon down! He started the ten. He'll finish the ten! He's out to prove you wrong! Something inside So Strong!

18. StevieBhoooy!

No emoji exists that can express how much I am cringing at that.

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can't tell if trolling or if you are actually just this deluded and naive?

It's got * all to do with modern fans being spoiled, in fact that's a pretty poor way to look and treat younger fans.

I grew up watching us in the mid 90s and cried when the Huns best us at times, then cried when we ended their run.
    But the crux of my Celtic supporting days have been throughout the last 20-25 years and I'd be one of these ones you want to pretend is spoiled.

I'm far from it, and just because younger lads than me may never really have felt that "hardship" of the 90s, does not mean they are any less of a fan, that they hurt any less than the rest of us or that their opinion on football is any better or worst.

You don't need to have lived through the 90s to be able to be critical of the management and team currently.
    And just because at one point in our history we was * poor and not even in contention for a title, does not mean we can't be * off and angry when the writing is on the wall right now, that something is massively not right as we go forward in history making seasons.

"It could be worse" and happily clapping along is every bit, if not more, dangerous than a fellow fan being angry at the * poor performances and lack of any indication that things are to be getting better.

trackebhoy likes this.
  20. StevieBhoooy!

There was a lot of mocking at the idea of Rafa B being our manager... unlikely then and still unlikely considering the financial gulfs (although a 6 month spell in current climate could be possible for a decent out of work manager)...

... but the main thing was that it at least showed some ambition to have the best that Celtic can get. I worry that if Lennon was to go... they’d just slot Kennedy in his place.

Kilmarnock board must have rode away on horseback when they did that deal! Daylight Robbery.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Peej likes this.