1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your solutions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by G_portillo, Oct 17, 2020.

Discuss Your solutions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    1) Ditch 3-5-2. 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 will suit us much better. 2) Get us defending properly and make us hard to score against instead of an easy touch. For this we'll need a settled back 4, to cut out the individual mistakes and to have ALL 11 players concentrating and working hard when not in possession. 3) Vary the attacking patterns and stop the endless sideways passing from the CB's and CM's. 4) Apart from everything else FIRE THE EFFING PLAYERS UP!!!! We're walking about as if games are friendlies whilst the opposition is tearing about getting stuck in. Sometimes football just boils down to who wants it more and so far this season our players are not looking up for the fight. These would be our main problems at the moment IMO.

blackfish likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That backline is poor, regardless of the keeper between the sticks - Forster pulling us out a hole many a times proves that.
    The guy has just came in from a different culture and style of game, it takes time, but on the whole I think most can agree he has done, fair. Not great, not *. Fair considering the rest of the team is so * poor. He's conceded 9 goals (I think?) which is a lot, but at least 5 of them not his fault and one a penalty, so yeah I think give the lad a break.

sparking intesnsity? he was the only one looking to start the ball moving quickly, a number of times the ball was rolled out fast to Frimpong or Duffy and although not ready for it, the lad was trying to get the game moving again. As opposed to previous keepers we have seen who liked to stand with the ball for 15 seconds while everyone gets back in to position.
    There is certainly errors to this method, more so when the backline isnt prepared for it, nor expects it in general terms. But he for sure was trying to get the ball moving and spark some intensity to the game.

And there has been a number of good saves from him, plenty to suggest he knows what he is doing.

For me, he has done enough so far to warrant us wanting to sign him, but he has not done anything at all to convince me he has been worth the £5million.
    Thats not all on him though, when your backline is selling you short at times and the rest of the squad is rank rotten since the day he arrived.

Barkas is practically the least of our worries right now, and claiming Forster would get us a point yesterday is literally papering over the cracks. Aside from the fact he knocked us back and we got to stop comparing the lad to Forster.

3. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    I dont disagree that having FF in goals, maybe getting us a point, yesterday would be papering over the cracks, or that having an average Goalkeeper is not our major issue just now, however In my Opinion he does not look any better than Bain and we need a GK who, in the games where we dont turn up, can be the difference between losing and not losing

As I said previously, the lack of intensity, organisation and any noticeable tactics are far more worrying.

Peej likes this.
  4. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    That and max two touches. Or even one touch. Huns passed round us so easily by playing simple 1-2’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanm likes this.
  5. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Lenny is here to the end of the season ,, like it or lump it,,, get behind him and the team .

I am 66 at the end of the year , i have seen a lot worse in a Celtic team.

I take it bad when sevco beat us in a game, * it was even worse when a team called rangers beat us in a game.

6. MAP

ROFL. That was a good one!

seanm likes this.
  7. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Four at the back and let the fullbacks be fullbacks, we gain nothing from losing wingers to gain a centre back. Puts far too much pressure on our "wing backs"

Would like to see us try either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 once forest is back

8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It is also a formation Lennon has had massive success with, in his first stint.

9. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Playing a 442 gives us the chance to overlap instead of relying on frimpong, Forrest , Taylor or laxsalt to beat 2 or sometimes 3 men. Forrest with frimpong or elhamed behind allows 2 attacking options down the one side and the same down the left if laxsalt plays left back he gets to overlap elyounoussi.we need more options going forward bcoz we're too easy to play against bcoz our only option with the wing back being marked is a centre half looking to step forward and clearly other than Ajer none can.

seanm likes this.
  10. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Stop changing the team and formation would do for starters get a settled team . The players at the moment dont seem to know what position they are suppose to playing in they are all over the place .
    If we are to play with 2 upfront play 2 * strikers and stop playing Brown and Ntcham in the same team

seanm likes this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

Rangers score a large majority of crosses / corners / free kicks from the side - the 2 goals on Saturday came about that way, they obviously work hard on that in training.
    It amazes me at the lack of goals Celtic score from similar situations, and then players who cannot beat the first man from a corner.
    Another pet hate is not putting men on the post, we lost a few goals this season this way and that goal last Christmas time from Katic.

Will we be saying in 1 months time at the teams constant tinkering in terms of players and formations, the big difference is that the darkside have a solid formation and a first 11, Lennon still mucks about.

In the short run I would have no issues in starting Bain, look to bring in forster in jan.
    Moi and Ntcham seem like passengers and in any season you expect to win trophies you cannot afford to be carrying 2/3 passengers every game out of 11 with a wobbly keeper.

In reflecting on the game on Sat - the players we expected to hurt us failed (kent morelos barisic) - sloppy decision making resulted in our downfall, I cannot understand how Moi missed that chance (trying to be big moussa, nah mate just poke it in or square the ball) - would that have kickstarted us?

The biggest problem on Sat was being unable to hold the play in the last third, polish paddy is a super sub at best atm to bring on when teams tire.

Lennon lacks the guile and tactical awareness to realise when things need to be changed. - the previous manager would have been astute enough and adopt.

Never mind finding out who the mole is back to basics, personally, I think the 10 in a row is a pain in the balls. Do the correct things in terms of formation and team selection and the rest will take care of itself which will mean winning the league and domestic trophies.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Sydneysider and King of Kings like this.
  12. Dip 'n' Swerve

frimp had a poor game on sat but he was man marked 2 times over, I think in the last ten when he dropped deeper and he was beginning to warm up. I think we are learning a lot about frimp, he seems to be better playing from deep and making driving runs forward rather than higher on the wing. could you hold your breath and see what mikey j could contribute if he ever returns?

13. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    that's why I think we need 2 down each side. If frimpong like you say is better coming from deep then it allows Forrest to come inside bcoz that's what he prefers and frimpong to overlap meaning they'll either have a 2v1 or 1v1 which is better than them being 1v2 or sometimes 3.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  14. Dip 'n' Swerve

right jamsie when your back on the training ground work on coming in on from the right and using your left foot for a change..amazes me the amount of professional footballers who cannot use both feet to a high standard, shocking really. with frimp doubled up ntcham was just strolling about with his * out dreaming of his Lazio goal. next 8 games we will find out the screw could be turning for lennon - his stubbornness will cost him and has done in the past.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Genuinely dont have a clue.

We have the players. So its clearly a tactics issue. We dont have any being the main problem.

I've lost a lot of faith in Lennon if I'm being honest. But it's too late now to change it.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

Don't play 3-6-1 first of. Give Soro and Turnbull more time and play more direct as we did beginning of the year.

17. Trequartista

Lennon has a terrible knack of continuing to pick players that are massively underperforming. It must be so demoralising for guys who burst their * in training and watch the performances yet still can’t get a run in the team. Our central midfield has by and large, been poor most of the season yet Brown and McGregor are rarely ever dropped. I’m not saying Soro, Turnbull, etc are the answer but they deserve a chance when those in front of them aren’t delivering the goods.

Using your squad effectively to make it healthy competition between the players is key to keeping everyone on their toes. We don’t do that at all.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  18. Foley1888

1. We need to get our striking options fit in Griff, Ajeti and Eddy. Klimala is miles away from being the man to lead the line for Celtic. He can come on and contribute our allow players to be rested when we are ahead but that’s it for now. We really need at least on of the CF to have the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play as most games this season we lose possession in the final third too cheaply.

2. We need to sort out what formation we are playing that allows us to get the best out of the squad we have got. If that means hard choices about leaving favourites out (Ntcham, Ely or whoever) so be it.

3. We need to sort our midfield out and get the balance in there. For me Christie for his contribution in terms of goals and assists and McGregor need to be part of it leaving one or two spaces up for grabs. We paid decent money for Soro and Turnbull and given the high volume of EL, Scottish Cup and League cup game’s we will have soon they should be given a chance to show what they can do.

4. Stop trying to shoehorn players in to the team Ntcham, Ely even Greg Taylor being played at LWB doesn’t work. Pick a shape to play as mentioned in point 2 and play players that naturally play those positions.

5. Get a settled defence sorted none of this continuous chopping and changing. Also make it clear what their roles are in possession. Cut out the long punts to no one and 100 passes between CBs and Brown before a move starts.

6. Get the ball forward quicker, whether this is through players carrying it or passes being played into those that have attacking ability, we really need more of both.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think a big part of our problem is that a lot of the players just don't gel well together or suit playing with our other players even though they are good players on their own.

A lot of players kind of have a problem doing a job they need to do. Like in a back 3, your wide centre-backs ideally need to be good in the full-back areas or quick, we have nobody who is a natural in those positions. The best two are probably Bitton and Ajer and 3rd Elhamed who although good he is a better full-back and wing-back than centre-back. A problem in this set up is also that Ajer is a lot better on the right of the defence than left but he always plays on the left because the others except Bitton always play on the right.

In midfield, Brown's legs are going but he is the only defensive player. We're playing him even though he is compromising other players around him but the only other options are Ntcham who would be worse or Christie who we don't really know and who's only really played there 4 or 5 times. Another problem is McGregor the guy we can trust to do various roles is being run into the ground and playing far too much and he's the guy we need mopping up for others as well. McGregor doesn't even suit playing with these other guys and we need to keep using him because the thought of the other guys playing together without him is mental.

Out wide we are fine on the right, a big problem was Forrest similar to McGregor has been run into the ground for years and looked lethargic which stands out much more on the wing when you need to do more running although the injury should refresh him. Frimpong and Elhamed are good options on the right in a 3-5-2 although we * it a bit by playinf Forrest all the time until he got injured even though he was struggling and then having to play Frimpong all the time because Elhamed was playing at CB and then he ended up out.

The left we have pretty much played Taylor all season, a left full-back who has little offensive ability playing as the main outlet on the left which doesn't work except home League games.

Up front we have 3 types of forward really, Klimala who runs in behind and runs the channels. Ajeti and Griffiths who are smart around the box and who can get into the 6 yard box and then Edouard who plays more like an attacking midfielder or number 10 and is rarely in the box. Problem here has been Edouard who cannot lead a line and offers little in the box has been playing too much as the number 9, we have also been playing non strikers up there quite a lot.

Theres also some players who have to be carried. Like Ntcham and Rogic are * poor defensively, whenever they play guys around them need to always be thinking they could get them caught out. Then i'd say Taylor and Edouard who have to be carried going forward, Taylor who doesn't offer many over laps and lacks the ability to beat a player and Edouard who has poor positioning and instincts around the box and offers nothing for wide players to cross into - that probably leads to players taking too many touches and passing backwards and around the place too much as they don't want to be so direct knowing that if they get in a good cross or beat a guy and can play a cut-back nobody will be there anyway. So having both Taylor playing and Edouard as the main striker * up a lot of play and puts a lot of pressure on the other players.

I feel like we use too many things that you don't want to see, like you don't want Jullien or Duffy at right centre-back, you don't really even want to see Brown and McGregor playing together even more you don't want Ntcham playing. You don't want Edouard up front alone and even when he is you don't want Elyouonoussi or Christie as his closest partner. You don't want Taylor as a wing-back. You don't want Klimala playing as the main striker either. Also you want to see a settled XI and some rotation each game, although there has been a lot of rotation happening it's mostly been happening because of a lack of fitness, injuries and guys being unavailable so the guys who should be getting rested and roated have mostly been playing non stop and so far this season and most of the changes have been forced and gambling on who to pick as someone has to play.

20. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    3 at the back has to go.
    2 strikers I have no problem with.
    4-2-3-1 I have no problem with as long as it contains the correct players. If we want to go with two strikers I'd much prefer a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-3-2.
    Barkas
    Hamed Julien Ajer Laxalt
    Soro/Turnbull
    Forrest/Frim Calmac Moi
    Ajeti Edouard

Barkas
    Hamed Julien Ajer Laxalt
    Forrest Calmac Turnbull Moi
    Ajeti Edouard​
    We have to start thinking what is the best system to suit the players we have. Playing two holding midfielders is fine in theory but when opposition players are finding so many spaces between your midfield and defence then it's time to rethink. Play to win the game, sacrifice a holding midfielder, and force your opponents to try and counter your ideas. Our play has been brutal for so long now imo. Too many players stifled by bad systems, poor/no tactics and questionable in game decisions my Lennon. For example at the weekend what tactics where changed when it was clear we were struggling badly to create? None that I could see. I'm watching that game thinking that we we are obviously having very little to no joy trying to play through them, nothing is happening from wide areas so why not get Duffy up top, load the high balls with clear instruction to our central midfielders to press to the edge of the box for knockdowns or loose balls and start trying to get shots on goal. Something different ffs!!!!

MagicBallBhoy likes this.