1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Utter bollocks. You don’t control football from the back.

Two ball playing centre backs next to him and he’s fine, you don’t need three.

Our problem is we don’t move forward quick enough. Our out ball in normally to the wingbacks and Rangers shut that down yesterday. We had no idea what to do.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Boyata was horrific on the ball but he’s light years better than this diddy.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Passing was dreadful yesterday.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  5. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Some decent physical attributes, but he's vastly overrated because he is a fan and Irish.

6. Foley1888

His defending at the first goal was poor yesterday. He had a great starting position to see what was happening and had no need to drop.

His use of the ball was poor but I think the bigger question for me is why were we relying on Duffy to play long balls to no one? It wasn’t like our DM was being pressured or Ajer was being shut off. In fact any time Ajer stepped out was probably the most dangerous we looked.

Duffy wasn’t signed to dictate play for us, he was bought to combat a physical threat from opponents that were bullying our other two.

Paul67 likes this.
  7. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, his goal against st mirren could prove vital but is was an equaliser after his own * defending let them go 1 nil up. No one can guarantee anything like that, especially not of a player who has made 7 or 8 appearances already and has yet to put in a performance thats anything more than average.

8. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I really don't think he should be blamed for either goal.

It seems people are rating him as the silver back in the defence. There are others who need to be doing their job too.

His distribution is pish, but that's not why he was brought here.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

:56:Nae bother Charlie Nic.

rudebhoy67 and Doogs. like this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Was definitely at fault for the 1st for me.
    Dropped back to early and picked up nobody.

Not writing him off or anything like that, but for me he has to play his way in to the first 11 rather than get an automatic start. From what I’ve seen so he’s not there yet.

11. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Completely disagree. Their game plan was to leave Duffy on the ball as he's absolutely hopeless. The sooner we change the formation, the better.

The best teams have 11 good footballers, not duds that head the ball. We don't play in muddy pitches lumping the ball up the park any more.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s the captain of his country and has played in the English Premiership for years, you make it sound as if he’s a Sunday league player.

He is plenty good enough and will prove his worth over the course of the season, in both boxes.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Some of the teams we play against do though. For instance, Duffy could well be exactly what we need against Aberdeen and turn in a motm performance.

Just not what we need against most of the SPFL for me.

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Change the formation to what :giggle1: if he keeps it simple with Jullien and Ajer next to him then he doesn’t have to worry about trying to play it out of defence. It’s as simple as that. Shouldn’t be playing it out of defence like that anyway it’s asking for trouble, you see it all over the world every weekend.

Absolute drivel that to be a good team you need to have 11 players good on the ball. This isn’t FIFA bud. It’s not just pace and dribbling that win you the game.

He had a bad game. He wasn’t the only one. Entire team is disjointed and has been before he was even here, but it’s his fault aye sound.

15. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he's used to Brighton playing backs to the wall matches Paul. That's not what we need to win the League. We have 4 better options for his position. Perhaps being pinned in from Milan will suit him better.

Slow and sloppy.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No, we definitely don’t.

17. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You're entitled to your opinion of course but I don't agree. I'm happy with Jullien, Bitton, Elhamed and Ajer. They are ball players and much better than Duffy. Simple as that.

Formation change would be 4 at the back giving us more attacking options. Frimpong would see the benefit of a wide man ahead of him for example.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Completely nullifying Frimpong in the process. Because him and Laxalt won’t have the freedom to go up the park where they are at their best, as it leaves 2 at the back. Frimpong doesn’t need anyone in front of him. There’s no reason for it. If anything I’d rather someone behind him.

Two “ball players” aren’t going to be much good when you’ve got to defend. We’ve seen how that plays out before.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Disagree with that mate. Tierney would bomb down the line with Sinclair constantly in the 4-2-3-1, Lustig would to a lesser extent on the right with Roberts and Forrest.

When the 2 full backs are up the 6 (Broony) can drop back further as he used to do, to avoid leaving it just the 2.

I'd be going 4-2-3-1 with Duffy and Ajer as the 2 CBs at present.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s alright with one fullback bombing on but both doesn’t fill me with confidence especially if an old Scott Brown is covering.

Lustig and Tierney were better defensively than Laxalt and Frimpong. If you go 4 then it’s got to be Taylor and Elhamed or a combo of one of them and one of the other two.

At least you’d keep Duffy. Don’t get how 4 at the back fixes anything he was talking about that I was replying to. Doesn’t give you more attacking options anyway.

The_Bhoy likes this.