1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is football forum's and emotions are running high..

We've been skelped again in our own backyard by a rookie when going for 10 in a row..

The fallouts are always gonna be grim reading but when you start hearing some of the excuses from the manager...you can't blame the toxic nature of what unfolds after..

Some of it does go too far but this is a crazy season where there's little room for error. If we were to fall and no win this league....my word everyone would be getting it something rotten like we've never seen before in my opinion..

Let's hope that doesn't happen..

The67Sound and The Prof like this.
  2. freitassen

We didn't play top teams, we played Ferencvaros, Kilmarnock and R*ng**s.
    Don't care about Thursday, he already damaged the european campaign and put the domestic campaign in a terribly bad position. Then every time we beat Motherwell or St Johnstone he will come arrogantly with a victory parade saying how much he is awesome. I had enough of him by the Copenhagen match and if we didn't have a board of tory * he would be sacked.

3. Sgt Neppers*

Madness that you pin your hopes on expecting the worst from others than wanting the best from yourself.

Valhalla likes this.
  4. freitassen

It is not a 3-5-2. Elyounoussi is not a striker. Has never been and doesn't play as such. If only we didn't have two strikers in the bench, which he waited until around the 60th minute with the team 2-0 down to bring them in.

Add to the list: how he at the same time refuses to give opportunities to some players and at the same time throw bombs at them at the worst time possible. Klimala and Welsh can't get minutes against poor opposition, out of sudden they start against Sevco. Rogic and Griffiths are perenially "unfit", but when the team is in trouble Lennon throws them in the pitch for quite short time and expect them to solve it. Never admits his responsability, it is always "we actually played very well" or "it is fault of the players who don't want to be here". And as I say before, being bad at your job doesn't make you a bad person. But this is not the attitude of a man.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Anyone thinking the huns will 'implode' again this season are kidding themselves. Yes, they will drop a few points here and there but so will we. Somehow we are going to have to win this ourselves, we certainly cant rely on them having a meltdown like last season, it simply wont happen. I hate to say it but they have improved and their squad strength in depth is far stronger than last season.

ddub11 and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  6. CountyDownFaithful

Agreed, their massive collapse last season made it look like we romped to the title but it was 50/50 right up to Xmas then they won the festive derby.

Their bench yesterday was really strong. They are definitely more equipped than any recent season to go all the way.

This is why we need to drastically improve right away. We really can’t afford to lose anymore ground.

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I’ve said it on here several times before, but he has not dominated a game against that mob since he took over again. Even the games that we did win against them, we didn’t do it well. No wonder they fancy their chances every time they play us now.

How do we expect to better them over the head to heads at this rate?

Scunnered by it.

8. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    I remember the comments at the time - Lenny would never lose 5 goals against PSG.

Aye we’ll ship 4 at home to Cluj and 3 at home to a poor Copenhagen just starting their season though.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The 2-0 game at Ibrox was the exception.

He got his tactics and subs spot on that day.

We allowed them the ball and hit them on the counter when they were out of shape, the same as every team that has joy against them in the last 2 and a half years.

Anyone expecting a return to the rat days of battering Pedro's lot 5-1 and playing them off the park is going to be sorely disappointed.

Allow them possession, frustrate them, let them over-commit and break with pace into the space left. Every other manager in the League has realised that's the route to joy against them.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I was saying before the game on here that I'd have been happy playing a bit more counter attacking against them when the full back's bombed on..

We were caught in the middle and McGregor alluded to it as well..

So poor. A 4-5-1 with pace to counter and be a bit different. Better than getting played off the park 3 time's on the trot and with our player's missing...most of us would've understood the need for starting a bit more pragmatically but it was neither here nor there..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. Sydneysider

Not really IMHO : Scott Brown, McGregor, Duffy , possibly Ajer and LG . Yes, but thats it.

The rest ( inc the * stirrers) are very well paid employees and would be off if / when they got a better offer.

Forrest is 29, contracted till he is 32. At Celtic since he was about 13. Never a leader or fighter, plenty of skill but little passion or fight. Will leave ( with a nice testimonial) and never look back.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

One of two things is happening as far as I can see. Neil is sending the team out with no clear instructions, players are disjointed and unsure of their role and are being managed to play this passive * we are seeing or the manager is not managing to motivate a group of players who seem to have given up on him.

Th
    I advocated for this approach yesterday.

We got the sitting back part spot on, the lightning transition from back to front... not so much.

13. ddub11

I get what your saying mate but to me the issue was the attitude of those on the pitch,no matter how good or bad a player you are or if your first choice or second there can be no excuse for not trying.

If anything i would have thought the players that got their chance because of others unable to play would have played their heart out.

All we got was a group of players who were not up for the battle against the team who could destroy our quest for ten.

Sydneysider and truedub1916 like this.
  14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    We will need to set up exactly like that again in the next game against them if Lenny is still here.

I’m just perplexed (and I’m right to be) that with our players we can’t grab a foothold in these games as middle to front we are individually much better than them.

For the record, just about the biggest domination of the lot from us was September 2018 when we won 1-0 against Gerrard’s team. Dominated as much as in the 5-1 games.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's clearly obvious to me that the players who shone under Rodgers, have been the ones who have been "wanting" under Lennon.

Christie, McGregor, Forrest, Edouard, Ajer, and maybe more.

Either them players don't like the regime, or Lennon himself has lost the dressing room.

Artorias likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

To me it's the sensible way to do it.

Some people are thinking on ego that they want us to go toe-to-toe and dominate them.

In the 2-0 game at Ibrox they had 64% possession, yet we limited them to very little in terms of clear cut chances.

We were organised, resolute, frustrated them and waited on the average players in their team to make mistakes.

In a good, organised set up Goldson passes it out into the wide lane and Johnston picks it up, ball through to Eddie goal.

The 2nd, they are going gung ho for the goal. Subs Oli and Hayes combine nicely to go on the break and seal the game.

The 3-5-2 we play can be devastating in attack when we get it right but it has always given up chances at the other end. I said before the game that there's no way I'd be going 3-5-2 against them, it seemed baffling. The amount of space they had at times was mental.

Gone was the organised and resolute defensive set-up ready to counter and in its place was a disorganised array of players who seemingly didn't know their role, long balls pinged to small wing backs or midfielders playing up front. Insane.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    In a season which could be ended at any point and the title awarded on points per game basis, the way that we just handed the initiative to the huns in such a pathetic fashion is extremely worrying.

That could have been a title deciding game and he still insists on playing midfielders in strikers positions and leaving strikers on the bench, even though he's made a * of it several times doing exactly that.

He doesn't believe in tactics, or game plans, or fitness programmes, or sports science. He just picks 11 names out of a hat then sits there with his arms folded while they get picked apart by any 2 bit mob with a bit of organisation.

I'm still * off at him for telling Mikey Johnstone to * off because he tried to play on after taking a knock and getting injured. As if it was somehow Mikey's fault and not the fault of Lenny and his * coaching staff for getting one of our best prospects injured for no reason on a match that we'd already won.

He's stuck in the old fashioned football attitude of just going out and getting stuck in then out for pints after the match. He's got nothing in common with the football of today or the attitude of current players.

He might've got by with that 10 years ago when there were still a few players that grew up around that kind of stuff in the 90s, but there's very few of those guys around now and footballs moved on quite quickly. Players nowadays want a high level of coaching and management and shouting and swearing at them isn't going to motivate them.

It's obvious from watching his teams that he isn't capable of modern management. There's no shape, there's no organisation, they struggle to break down defences, and against a half decent side they look lost and out of ideas.

We can't afford to * about this season. We simply just have to make sure we're above the huns in the league table at all costs. Lenny can't do that. He can't even motivate the team to get a shot on target in a match the could end up deciding whether on not we win 10iar. He needs punted and we need to do it now before it's too late.

18. DonnyCelt

Regardless of what are opinions are of Lenny, his tactics have seen us so far this season, paped out of the CL and lose at home to that mob before the end of October.

Not to mention getting away with poor performances at home to Livi and away to Dundee United and St Mirren and dropping points away to Killie on week two.

19. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's time we looked at him as a manager, and not as the person who received death threats etc.

He doesn't have what it takes to take us forward.

A newbie manager in Gerrard has his ticket. Played us off the park in last 3 games.

He hasn't a clue tactically, and it seems the players are not playing for him.

Something has to give.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And this is what so many people simply can’t do.