1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Midfield

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Oct 18, 2020.

Discuss Our Midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CountyDownFaithful

An area of the park which used to be our strongest is now arguably our weakest.

We have been bossed in the last 3 derbies and it’s usually in the midfield area where a game is won and lost. Strachan said it yesterday.

Glen Kamara has now played us off the park on a couple of occasions. He’s looked every bit a £15m player while Ntcham and McGregor have been nothing but passengers yet they are the ones that are apparently worth £££. Jack, Davis and Arfield out battling us, playing around our players like they are training ground cones.

Ntcham is a lost cause IMO but I do agree with others that McGregor’s influence is being hindered by those around him.

The debate around Brown is always going to rumble on. He wasn’t the worst player on the park but he didn’t effect the game at all either. Brown’s role in that midfield should be the Commander/Destroyer but he doesn’t have the speed or physical stature to do either.

As it stands our midfield is devoid of creativity and weak. We need to go and sign a proper CDM in January. It will give the midfield a balance that it doesn’t have at the moment.

Until then I’d play Christie and McGregor with Turnbull infront of them. We need to get a better look at Soro too, he seems to have a bit of tenacity to his game that we need.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Metrobhoy likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

Ntcham should be banished to the bench for the foreseeable but for all our strength in the centre of midfield on paper, in reality it is fractured and in need of repair.

Rogic - silky player but struggled to make it past the hour mark when he was a regular and is now so far out the picture we were actively trying to flog him in a cut price deal.

Ntcham - guaranteed to let you down when it matters most. Happily see him gone.

Brown - a waning force. Gives everything as always but even his biggest supporters, me included can see he's not got much more diesel left in the tank.

Christie - Rumours that he wants away and at the very least looks like he will be seriously 'weighing' up his options ala Armstrong style (same agents I believe). Appears to be playing a very individual game on the park at present.

Mcgregor - Mr consistent, midfield mainstay.

Elyounoussi - yet to know where he's at his most effective. Blows hot and cold and underwhelmed for the most part.

Turnbull - full of potential but will take time to bed in before we can really judge him.

Soro - been here a while now, rarely featured. Can't really comment other than he's been here a while and barely featured, not a great sign.

Honestly, looking forward I think we have one sure fire centre midfielder that we know will prob be here and is proven to do the business for us and that's Mcgregor.

The rest all have question marks hanging over them either right now or going forward. Turnbull we hope will be a star but time will tell.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  3. CountyDownFaithful

Agree with every word.

99% of our support were happy with our transfer business, myself included, but watching that yesterday just brought back memories of our midfield being dominated time and time again.

We should have addressed that in the summer window. An injury-free James McCarthy is the sort of player that we need to replace Brown and give McGregor more freedom.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  4. joemc

Seen nothing of sorro that shows he's gonna be better than brown hence why he's not playing .

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

I would like to see Christie sitting a bit deeper with Mcgregor and have Turbull behind the striker

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The set up where Brown acts as the pivot needs to change as nearly everything goes through him. I think the Mcgregor Brown partnership needs breaking up and we need to get Mcgregor on the ball more.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think Turnbull is going to prove the best on the ball at the team and I want to see him using his range of passing to dictate the game. That or have someone else brought in who can.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That trio has potential..

We know McGregor can play that quarter back role very well..

We know or I think Christie is much better as an 8..

Turnbull can easily play further forward and has the range and ability to punish team's..

I think that would be a good out and out 3 in a 4-3-3 system for us. Few of us spoke about this on here before I think. Eddy on the left of a 3 and Ajeti/Griff in the middle. Forrest right..

I think a 4-3-3 would suit us a lot to be honest..

CountyDownFaithful and James like this.
  9. CountyDownFaithful

Yeah 4-3-3 is something we should be looking at.

3-5-2 isolates our wing backs and it’s easy for teams to double up on them and reduce the threat they pose. That forces us to play into the centre of the pitch which is where, as this thread suggests, we are very poor at the minute.

At least with 4-3-3, our full backs have men in front of them that they can dovetail with. Sinclair and Tierney did it so well. Gives us more opportunities for overlaps, creating overloads in wide areas etc.

I like the idea of Edouard playing off the left with a free role (sort of what the Huns do with Kent). When teams sit with 10 men behind the ball Edouard stands on the 18 yard line and gets crowded out. With Eddie on the left we should be able to get him more involved and then you’ve got your more instinctive forwards like Griff and Ajeti in the middle.

Something really needs to change but I honestly can’t see Lennon and Kennedy coming up with something. Bar the start of last season and Jan-March this year, their ‘style’ of football hasn’t been great to watch.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  10. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    McGregor is the only one I have faith in tbh

Turnbull needs his chance and Ntcham needs to get the *

11. CountyDownFaithful

Needs more game time before we can make a judgement. We need to freshen it up.

Doing nothing is criminal.

12. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It's time to get Soro involved. Could really have done with his energy yesterday.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Still no up to speed. Lol..

Keano88 and callumrae1967 like this.
  14. CountyDownFaithful

Just re-watched one of Soro’s highlight reels (I know... ‘anyone can look good on YouTube’)...

But honestly look at where he positions himself to receive the ball and then his forward passing... that is what we are crying out for.

He’s quick and steely, look at how he beats a player and it opens up the pitch for his team mates.

Not giving him a chance when he possess qualities that we badly need is absolutely criminal.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  15. CountyDownFaithful

10000%

16. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Feel sorry for Soro. Needs a chance

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Soro has done nothing to suggest he is any kind of answer to any of our issues.
    Its pure desperation to suggest throwing him in. Its the same as the age old kouassi debate.

18. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    We shouldn't be buying these players then because in the long run it costs more money when they cant get a game and go for a quarter of the price 2 years later. The whole transfer policy needs ripped up and started again

19. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Id go
    Sorro

Turnbull McGregor
    Christie

20. john2061

The last three games they have bossed the midfield and think we need to move McGregor further up the park and Turnbull in the middle with someone else .
    But the back three need to stop * passing the ball to each other as you are slowing the attack down and opposition players have time to get into position .