1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    One player we cannae lose for saturday

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    At this rate he may be our only defender left to start the game at the weekend

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    If he plays, we lose..

If he's sub, we in..

4. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Yip

5. Crilly

I think he was our worst player for most of the match today tbh. Gave it away countless times

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  6. Aidan O’Shea

No chance. He was actually making things happen in the first half. Disappeared in the second, right enough.

Sydneysider likes this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good 1st half, total * 2nd, passing was ghastly in that 2nd half.

Rydo1888* and martin_d like this.
  8. Crilly

Made heehaw happen. Lost the ball for fun n chased shadows. Was diabolical

9. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He’s undoubtedly a great player and I absolutely love him, but sometimes he gets too much of a free pass. Don’t get me wrong; he was far from the most glaring issue today, but he should be taking games by the scruff of the neck far more often and bossing them. All to often when one of our back three was looking for a pass out of defence, he was nowhere to be seen. He’s far too important to us to drift in and out of games.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  10. Big C

We need to mange his game time better, starting with internationals. He should be withdrawn from next months fixtures, make up an injury.

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. green-yin

Free pass nothing he is one of our most consistent players by far, if their is problems in our squad or setup he isnt one of them. We should be building a team around him not playing as a team of individuals with no ideas or clues about what the * we are supposed to be doing in big games like today.
    See all this take the game by the scruff nonsense does my nut in. Calmac was 1 of only a few who had passmarks today. Get oli "im too good for this league" ntcham so far to * and put turnbull in the midfield. Cal cannot take a game by the scruff when we pass side to side and there is no system or tactics to work off of. There is plenty to go mad about todays performance/team selection/tactics etc.. but mcgregor defo aint one of our problems.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont know if the Brown - Mcgregor partnership is working anymore.

It seems to be the common theme in these big games that we are behind, and Brown is running to the centre back to receive the ball and Mcgregor and the rest are too far in front.

13. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I literally said in my post that he’s far from the problem, but if you don’t think he could have done more today then you’re very wrong.

He’s consistently great (again, I literally said that), but that doesn’t make him immune to criticism. Both he and Brown were okay today (and yes, Ntcham was shockingly bad as I’ve said multiple times elsewhere), but frankly “okay” isn’t good enough in the biggest games. Our three in the middle were outplayed by their three and Davis, Kamara and Arfield are a million miles from being world beaters. They all need to do better.

Yes, a big part of the issues are down to tactics, but I’m sure Callum himself would be quick enough to admit he could have done better today.

green-yin likes this.
  14. green-yin

Of course mate, he could have done better. But when there is nothing happening in front of you or out on your wings there wasn't all that much mcgregor on his own could do. Team selection was wrong(again), tactics were wrong (again), start getting these things right and give players like mcgregor a chance to have a bigger influemce on games like this. Dont know what it is but our full setup just isnt getting the best out of our players right now and thats down to the gaffer to figure out and quickly because we have a must win game coming up in a weeks time and we had better start figuring out our best 11, tactics and setup going forward.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  15. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Completely agree with you mate.

The only thing I’ll say is that when you’re playing 3-5-2 and you’re struggling to break the lines, a second midfielder needs to drop in and be an option when the centre backs have the ball. McGregor didn’t do that anywhere near enough today (which granted may be exactly what he’s being instructed to do and granted Ntcham didn’t do at all), but it simply wasn’t working with Brown alone dropping and wanting the ball. As a result of being unable to play through the midfield, we consistently launched it long to very minimal effect.

Effectively Duffy should be sitting centrally, Ajer and Welsh should be splitting wide and pushing Frimpong and Laxalt higher up the pitch. Brown and McGregor should then be dropping into the holes to get on the ball and dictate play.

I coached for a few years at a decent level and I absolutely loved using the 3-5-2 system because it was so easy to drill roles into players heads. To me it just doesn’t look like Lennon actually coaches the players in how to utilise the system at all and instead just shoehorns players into roles and hopes for the best.

Edit: For a post which started “The only thing I’ll say...” this went on a bit longer than intended :56:Wasn’t in any way meant as an argument against anything you’ve said, in fact I think you’ll probably agree given your previous comments on Lennon’s lack of tactics.

The67Sound and green-yin like this.
  16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He did start well but just looked knackered in second half.

17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He drops too. Far deep. For me, along with brown and right away were 2 men down in midfield and nothing to pass to forward.

He was at his best in a more forward position, not behind the striker, but more advanced and also when he played that kinda QB role when Brown ws out.

Tbh under Lenny he's been pretty meh for me, although thought he has been OK this season without being great.

Needs pushed up. The park were he was excellent at picking spaces, he is a good mover of the ball, but for me isn't the one to open up defences with passes.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CALLUM MCGREGOR says that there are no excuses for Celtic’s performance in their dismal derby defeat to Rangers, but he has promised the club’s supporters they will bounce back once again, just as they did last season.

McGregor accepts that Celtic’s display against their city rivals was unacceptable and acknowledges the backlash he and his teammates will now face as a result.

But he has pledged to do everything in his power to ensure that Celtic roar back from the defeat, just as they did when losing to Rangers at Celtic Park last December.

When you lose a derby game there are questions asked and we have to face up to that,” McGregor said. “We did it in December and kicked on from there.

“So, we have to take that experience and learn from this defeat and go on a run.

“We have to take confidence from what happened last time. After losing we went on a great run after the new year.

“But I’m standing here disappointed right now and there’s no getting away from that. It’s a game we’ve lost at home to our biggest rivals and we can’t hide away from that. We know how bad a result it is.

“We have to take heart from the fact that we were without key players and see how there are still two thirds of the season to go. We have plenty of time to claw it back.

“The fans will be frustrated and as players we’re hugely disappointed. They have every right to point fingers and we have to accept that because in these games the bigger picture is never seen. There will be a massive reaction and we have to deal with that.

“What I would say is that we have to stay calm and we have to stay together. The sooner we can get [the fans] back into the stadiums too, the better, as they are a massive help to us.

“We have to keep the faith, trust the team and trust the manager and what we’re doing.

“We have been here a load of times before and have a load of experience. We are by no means out of it.

“We have guys in the changing room who have just lost their first derby and it’s a horrific experience. For the rest of us, it’s that same feeling.

It’s up to the experienced boys, manager and backroom staff to get around them and stick together.”

The inquest will now begin inside the Celtic dressing room to ascertain what went wrong against Rangers, but the players have little time to feel sorry for themselves, with a massive Europa League tie against Milan looming on Thursday night.

“We all have to accept the responsibility when we don’t play well,” McGregor said.

“Internally we have to sort a few things and then we kick on. We really need to put our foot to the floor and the good thing is we have a massive game on Thursday to get up and running again. Then as big run of fixtures.

“These games are massive, but they probably don’t define the title for you.

“We just need to draw on our experience and hopefully by the end of the season we’re standing with another title.”

McGregor refused to use the lack of home advantage which would normally have been provided by 60,000 Celtic supporters as a reason for the team being so flat against Rangers.

“It probably made them feel as little bit more comfortable than what it would have been,” he said.

“But that’s the situation we’re in and it’s no excuse. We can’t look at that as we have to perform better on the pitch.

“When you lose an early goal, it sets you back in a big game.
    “It’s up to the experienced boys, manager and backroom staff to get around them and stick together.”

The inquest will now begin inside the Celtic dressing room to ascertain what went wrong against Rangers, but the players have little time to feel sorry for themselves, with a massive Europa League tie against Milan looming on Thursday night.

“We all have to accept the responsibility when we don’t play well,” McGregor said.

“Internally we have to sort a few things and then we kick on. We really need to put our foot to the floor and the good thing is we have a massive game on Thursday to get up and running again. Then as big run of fixtures.

“These games are massive, but they probably don’t define the title for you.

“We just need to draw on our experience and hopefully by the end of the season we’re standing with another title.”

McGregor refused to use the lack of home advantage which would normally have been provided by 60,000 Celtic supporters as a reason for the team being so flat against Rangers.

“It probably made them feel as little bit more comfortable than what it would have been,” he said.

“But that’s the situation we’re in and it’s no excuse. We can’t look at that as we have to perform better on the pitch.

“When you lose an early goal, it sets you back in a big game.

We spoke about our game plan and in the first 15 minutes we wanted to turn them and play in their half. If you don’t start these games well it can really hurt you.

“With the experience we have, if we don’t start well and go behind, it can be really difficult to get going again. So, I’d say that had an impact.

“They set up their game-plan and they carried it out well to win the game. For us, we have to be more on the front foot when it comes to these games. We’re a little bit in-between at the minute, albeit we were missing a lot of key players.”

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Heard this before. Apologies are just words. The cup final should have been the rocket up the *.
    Doesnt mean anything.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That last bit is very telling..

"We have to be more on the front foot when it comes to these game's. We're a little bit in-between at the minute, albeit we were missing a lot of key player's"

Clearly no happy with how we're being setup in these game's. They're no sure what to do or what's being asked of them..