1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t see how it relates to the Offensive football bill tbh. For me it would be a much bigger win for the SNP to get fans back in the stadium than any potential gain they might get from keeping them away (as you said, their support base is fairly entrenched).

I think the difference between education and professional football is massive tbh. It’s clear they’re willing to take a much greater level of risk to get kids back into classrooms than they are to get fans back to stadiums and I completely agree with that. One is simply a much more important activity than the other.

The likes of cinema, pubs and restaurants is much more contentious because they will be looked at in the same vein as football, as simple leisure activities. The reality is though, these are measures that are currently in place across the entirety of the UK, not just implemented here in Scotland by the SNP.

So I agree that there’s been a lack of explanation from government as to why certain places seem to be exempt from wider rules, but I really don’t see where the incentive comes from for either the Holyrood or Westminster government to do this simply to annoy football fans .

NomDePlum likes this.
  2. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    The comparison to the football act is to indicate a pre-existing disdain that the scottish government has on football in general and football fans. It existed pre Covid and it still does.

If it was not political then where is the clinical advice clearly expressing that attending open air events massively increases risk of exposure that indoor activities have been shown to do. If the government indicate it’s not about attending the event it’s about the before and after then that is clearly an indication that they do not trust football fans to behave in line with the guidance, just say that then, we all know it. Like they also don’t trust football fans to behave in a stadium with beer available to be bought, a rule that’s lasted decades and is out of touch with modern sport.

Quite a number of countries in Europe allow fans in at limited numbers why can this not also be achieved here?

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I get that perception, but again, why is this being implemented the length and breadth of the UK if it was based on disdain for Scottish football fans? Why are other sporting events facing the exact same issue? It’s quite clear that a UK wide spectator ban in sports stadiums hasn’t been implemented solely to * of football fans in Scotland.

It doesn’t need to be solely either political or clinical. To me, most decisions in regard to Covid appear to be a balancing act of limiting economic damage and protecting public health. Are football fans sitting in a stadium at anymore risk than punters sitting socially distanced in a pub? I don’t believe so. However, look at the size of the economic impact of people not going to pubs in comparison to that of fans (most of whom have already paid for season tickets) not being allowed into stadiums. Its a massive difference.

https://restaurantindustry.co.uk/20...tribution-of-beer-and-pub-sector-in-scotland/

The tax take from pubs in Scotland last year was over £1bn, with 66,000 being employed in that area. Add in restaurants to that and you begin to see just how massively important it is to the economy. How much do they generate in terms of tax intake from football in comparison? How many are reliant on fans actually being in stadiums to preserve their jobs?

The truth is we’re comparing football to things like the hospitality sector and education, both of which are just massively more important under just about any measure. Is it any surprise that they’ll be willing to risk an increase in the R-number in order to ensure children are back in the education system full time, or to protect one of the countries largest industries, but not to allow fans (who have already paid) to attend in person? Not for me. That isn’t me disagreeing to agreeing with their choices btw, but it’s certainly seems like a much more plausible scenario that just not liking Scottish football fans to me.

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sports minister told football governing bodies today that 6 month timescale for a return of fans is a Westminster timescale and not one he is working towards.

6. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Survey emailed out to ST holders to gauge opinions for a prospective return to the stadium.

Fill it in if you can.

elbhoydo and MickeyyMack like this.
  8. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Sent, agreed to everything. Just get them doors open Celtic :60:

MickeyyMack likes this.
  9. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Won’t let me submit it fs

sorted, started again.

10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo

can of worms has been opened, fixtures are going to go * up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    At last some good news. I expect there will be a few more tests to happen over the next few days possibly even week though.

13. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic top brass are set to challenge the government’s strict Covid-19 guidelines after being told Odsonne Edouard and Ryan Christie could be forced to sit out the first Old Firm game of
    the season.

Christie has been ordered to self-isolate for a fortnight after being told by health officials to leave Scotland’s squad ahead of Thursday’s Euro 2020 play-off with Israel.

And, despite speculation Edouard has already been given the all-clear to return to Glasgow next week, Record Sport understands talks between the club and various health authorities were still on-going late on Wednesday after the Frenchman’s positive coronavirus test in Paris on Tuesday.

A definitive answer is expected to arrive on Thursday morning.

But while Edouard has gone into quarantine in his homeland, Celtic want to know why Christie must also be forced into lockdown despite posting a string of negative swabs since coming off the bench in Sunday’s 2-0 win at St Johnstone.

A club statement said: “Following today’s news regarding Ryan, he has reiterated his adherence to all relevant protocols while away on inter-national duty.

“In light of this, Celtic confirmed today that it aims to open dialogue with the Scottish government and other authorities to fully understand the self-isolation procedures for players who continue to deliver negative test results, as Ryan has.”

Christie added: “I am so disappointed by the events of today and the potential effects this could have on my country and club.

As I have operated within these protocols for such a long time now, I am well aware of all the rules and social distancing from team- mates has become the norm and something I have observed.

“The situation is very frustrating, particularly as I don’t believe I have done anything wrong

Arsenal released a similar statement after former Celtic ace Kieran Tierney was also told to leave Steve Clarke’s squad after Stuart Armstrong’s positive test.

But Celtic are hoping for greater clarity over Edouard’s situation following the 22-year-old shock diagnosis after joining up with France’s Under-21s.

A club source told us: “We are hoping for good news where Odsonne’s return is concerned but there’s still some uncertainty despite claims he’ll be allowed to return after 10 days of quarantine.

Unfortunately, the situation is still unclear at the moment while conversations continue.

“While we have been assured he will not have to self-isolate on his return to Scotland we are hoping for a definitive answer in the morning with regards when he will be allowed to travel back to Glasgow.”

15. Jaxxx Orchestrated Sonic Attacker Gold Member

Armstrong, Christie & KT been playing socially distanced Playstation!!

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Need their balls booted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What on earth for?

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Got a ready made excuse for Scotland * up then

19. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Aberdeen game on the 25th has been moved to a 12pm KickOff.

motherwell game on the 8th November also been re arranged now a 12pm kick off.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    3 of them in a room playing PlayStation to be fair though it’s the sfa at fault not the players should never have been room sharing in the first place tin pot by a national organisation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk