1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well he can find my statement ridiculous if he wants to, I can find that to be utter waffle. It's not really important.

I didn't feel the need to respond to anything else in that post.

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He looks fit as *. But he still looks off the pace when having to react to a situation which is the real issue. Actually thought be looked better when further up the field against hibs.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Very interesting :50:

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That jucojames is an absolute roaster of the highest order.

Sean Daleer and Damnati like this.
  5. Foley1888

For me Brown looking better in the Hibs game came from a number of things.

1. Hibs as a team focused on the wide areas with Boyle, Doidge, Newell, Nesbitt and Wright trying to attack from here. They very rarely tried to come through our midfield in the way DUTD for example did. Their midfield was pretty anonymous.

2. McGregor and second half Turnbull gave a good left and right balance either side of Brown working both forward and back. Both were secure in possession so there wasn’t many quick turnover situations having players driving through our midfield. Christie gave the ball away a bit in the first half but mainly hit wild shots which went out the park so again no chance for a quick break on us. They also covered well for Frimpong and Taylor when they ventured forward cutting out some of Browns need to cover.

3.Brown did not have someone hounding him in possession the way Harkes at DUTD did or really anyone trying to run past him.

4. When Brown had the opportunity to play a forward pass with any ambition he way over hit them and failed to find his man.

Overall I don’t think this was a game where you could really use to compare to the others where we have issues. It’s all if buts and maybes but say we had another CM with a bit more forward drive they could have had more impact on the game in driving forward into space or completing forward passes. For me McGregor was the pick of our midfielders.

I still worry if we face a team where their midfield drive forward through the middle or play counter attacking football Brown won’t be able to cope and get to where he used to and help out the defence in the way we need him too. Just my opinion and time will tell.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tough to phase out, easier said than done in many respects, especially with everything at stake this year.

I would have played v Hibs and Riga but he didn't need to play v St. Mirren and shouldn't start v St. Johnstone on Sunday for example.

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We need his experience and know how bigtime tonight.
    Not sure we need him against the like of St Mirren etc.

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Juco James Minty? Really?

Guy is the biggest * talker on Twitter.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He literally doesn't have a clue.

I'm not a huge fan of stats based crap at the best of times (I'm sure its handy in the hands of professional sports scientists) but this guy juco James can't even use them properly.

A complete charlatan.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  10. stew37

Don't who Juco James is but that's a bold statement when you consider some of the * on there lol

I've once again banished myself from social media. Gone off it before but hopefully a clean break this time, actually feel mentally fresher already, some of the * really pollutes your mind.

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah its quite the statement haha. I probably should have said biggest * talker at that stats based nonsense. :giggle1:

12. stew37

No I knew what you meant mate, it was the football folk I was getting at especially. In the know type characters. For every one person that knows something there's a thousand that know absolutely * all!

Sean Daleer likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Whether his legs have gone or not has been debated season upon season since Deila was here. For me, it's not a case of if he is too slow or not - it's how and why he's been picked.

He started against St Johnstone, Ross County, Riga, St Mirren - completely unnecessary as they all camped in with 10 men behind the ball. We didn't need Brown in those games and especially not the full 90 for most of them. We should be beating those teams without him.

The only reason I can think that makes some sort of sense is Lennon giving him as many minutes as possible to get up to speed, so that he's at a high level for rest of the season. If that's the case then it remains to be seen whether it'll pay off or backfire.

His experience and leadership are vital to us but he can still have that impact in the dressing room without playing every game, and we may end up playing better football as a result. Plus we have to learn how to play without him and build a midfield for the future. Obviously I'll trust Lennon how to handle it but up until the weekend Broony has looked well off the pace..

Mr Shelby likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If you say so.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm not the only one mate. The guy doesn't have a clue.

Go read his nonsense comparison between hun Davis and Broony and tell me he knows what he is talking about?

Luckily I don't have twitter myself and only have to suffer his * when its reposted elsewhere but believe me its enough to form a definite opinion that the clown knows hee haw about 'soccer'.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Stats alone don't tell the whole story, but when you combine that with watching games, you can form a decent picture of performances. I wouldn't call him a clown myself and I don't agree he knows hee haw about football.

17. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Broony hasn't had the best start to the season. But he's been outstanding for us, in so many ways, for over a decade. It's going to take more than a half dozen below par perfomances for me to say he's finished. Maybe his performance against Hibs is the sign he's turned the corner, maybe it's a one off high spot; time will tell.

But in the meantime, I'm backing a player who has shone for years, and the judgement of a manager who has won many trophies over his time in charge.

jimbobers, honda and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This.

I think he still has his use. That is undeniable.

But start EVERY game? Not for me. Especially when this will be his last season we should be using games to get an idea of what we are like without him.

Theres just no need in it. And doing it will mean he runs out of gas quicker for games when we will.propely need him.

He isnt being managed properly. It's an issue we had with Tierney as well for different reasons.

I think people are getting defensive over him because they believe it's some witch hunt from half the support to get him out. When for me it's nothing like that. We have 4 or 5 options for that central role, all younger and with attributes which can help us especially with how we are currently playing. Its not that anyone hates Brown...but we can see that theres issues there and we need to utilise the squad.

Hes never the one being dropped regardless of how he plays. And that isnt right.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    All agreed that he’s back to being first name on the team sheet then? :giggle1:

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not for me.

He made a difference massively when he came on. If anything today has shown me that we need to rotate more to get used to him being out of the side as its worrying how flat we look when he isnt there...and we need to get used to that.

It's one reason why I want him rotated. As I kind of hinted at above in my last post in here.

Peej and King of Kings like this.