1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    See.... if me and this lad agree it must be right.. ha

Serious lack of respect for Griff in my opinion. Hes scored goals at every level so how someone can think Eddy is levels ahead is baffling...

jamiebhoy67 and moravcik1888 like this.
  2. CountyDownFaithful

Leigh Griffiths can’t even keep himself fit.

Edouard is in a different bracket altogether.

Sonic Reducer and Officer Doofy like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yes it's because he's young and French that he's so highly rated. Nothing to do with his ability.

Griffiths is in the same bracket as the likes of Scott McDonald and Gary Hooper (albeit, I think Hooper was better). Edouard and Dembele are above and beyond that bracket. Guys who have and will go on to much bigger things in their careers. Whereas we are the absolute pinnacle for the other 3.

4. freitassen

Once again, Griffiths doesn't need to be better than our most expensive player ever to be part of our squad. The sad truth is it will be very hard to replace a guy like Édouard if he leaves. I do believe Ajeti and Griff are good enough for our goals (winning domestically and having a good European campaign) and Klimala has potential. All of them deserve to be in the squad and play. Being better than Édouard isn't the benchmark.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Gordon Strachan has urged Leigh Griffiths to make the most of his last-chance-saloon moment as Celtic try to sharpen up the striker.

The former Parkhead boss was back in Glasgow’s east end on Sunday as Griffiths returned to Lennon’s bench for a 3-0 win over Hibs in his latest attempt to relaunch his career at the club after all manner of personal, disciplinary and injury issues.

And now, with Swiss new boy Albian Ajeti now nursing a damaged hamstring and clubs circling talisman Odsonne Edouard ahead of next week’s transfer deadline, Strachan believes Griffiths could yet emerge as a key man in Lennon’s quest for a 10th successive league crown.

Lennon had hoped to play a closed door game with St Mirren to give Griffiths game-time this week but the Buddies had to pull out because of injuries.

Now the club are trying to get a bounce game arranged. The frontman is still well-short of match-fitness but he might need to be pushed on with Ajeti likely to be out for several weeks.

Strachan said: “Whatever goes on in the world of Leigh Griffiths I still think he is a terrific player. Seriously.

People might wonder where’ he’s goes from here but it’s very simple, your career is determined by yourself.

You might get help along the way but it all comes down to what you are prepared to do for yourself.

“I still go back to the wonderful football Celtic were playing after Christmas when he was a threat. No matter where Edouard was, you always knew Griff would be on the shoulder of defenders looking for balls coming across the box.

“He’s grease lightning over 10 yards. And what that means is, after that first 10 yards, he can relax when he’s going in on goal

So it’ll be great for Celtic to get Griff back in the mix along with Edouard, Ajeti and Patryk Klimala. That’s four good strikers to pick from.”

Ajeti bagged his fifth goal for the club on Sunday before limping off towards the treatment room but Strachan’s is convinced the return of Griffiths will soften the blow for Lennon.

He said: “Ajeti is the kind of striker who thinks, ‘If I’m getting once chance I’m taking it’.

“Of his five goals I’m sure four of them have been one touch. It’s like, ‘I’m a goalscorer. All of you can be footballers if you want but I’m here to score goals, If you want to be a football player fine, But just stick it in here and I’ll score,’.

“So it’s a blow that he’s damaged his hamstring. It would be an even bigger blow for most other teams.

“But Neil Lennon turns round and goes, “Ajeti’s injured, I’ve got Edouard and Griffiths sitting over there so things are not that bad!’

“If you think about, when Celtic were at their best last year they were the two who were playing. I’ll stick by guns and say, Edouard is a good player whatever way you use him. But if you’ve got a striker like Grittiths up beside him it allows him to go and float about on the edge of the box and score wonder goals.

“So, yes, Ajeti’s hamstring could be a body blow depending on how bad it is. It didn’t seem too bad because he just continued his celebration and jogged right off up the tunnel! That was a good goal and I’m now just going to get changed!’”

Griffiths hasn’t appeared this season and was left out by Lennon for the pre-season trip to France over his fitness.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

New Dundee signing Jonathan Afolabi reveals a word of advice from Leigh Griffiths convinced him to make the loan switch to Dens Park.

The striker officially completed his move, which was first revealed by Record Sport, on Thursday.

Griffiths kick-started his career at Dens Park and advised his young Celtic team-mate to take the same route.

Afolabi said:

I got a chance to talk with Leigh Griffiths as we ended up training together and he said Dundee was a brilliant club to go to, to really kick on with my career. So it is only positive when it is someone like Leigh saying things like that.

Dublin Celt and buchanbhoy like this.
  7. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    I would love Leigh to get back in and about the team. Even coming off the bench and starting a few cup games. He has been brilliant for us. It's a shame the way its worked out.

Rydo1888*, Crilly, Slaw and 1 other person like this.
  8. TheHappyLoss

Off the bench to score tonight

MickeyyMack and buchanbhoy like this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Mon the Griff !

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Surely he’s got to appear tonight ? Can’t see Eddy being used the full 90.. here’s hoping

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Love Griff, but if we are bringing a striker on, it deserves to be Klimala for me, specially late on to run at their backline

12. jj81

When we are 3-0 up with 15 to go bring them both on :D

Peej likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I can deal with that :)

jj81 likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If Ajeti had been fit, suspect Griff would have been left in Glasgow to continue build up his fitness.

Crilly likes this.
  15. Foley1888

Hope he can get back fit over the international break and maybe get a run out against St Johnstone.

Would be good to get him back up and running as another attacking option

Crilly and Rydo1888* like this.
  16. Crilly

Would like to see him get a few minutes off the bench but I think klimala needs to get game time ahead of him now. Even last night coming on for the last few minutes against Sarajevo he had a great attitude and worked his socks off. He’s great at running at tired legs and bullying defenders off the ball.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We should be starting Eddy and Pat against St J, and then giving Griff 25min also.
    We need this guy back up and running.

belfastcelt likes this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Think your probably right there. Hopefully he is on the bench again this weekend and can get some time off the bench. It would be massive to have the Griffiths of last spring back playing again especially with Edouard seeming to be carrying something and Ajeti injured and clearly no where near 100% anyway having not played regular football for basically the past year.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Eddy missing on Sunday. He's defo struggling with an injury

Dan Breen and Slaw like this.
  20. TheHappyLoss

Get it * right roon the get him to * brigade