1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling a player before the window shuts

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 28, 2020.

Discuss Selling a player before the window shuts in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

Ntcham is the only one who can't get a regular game so it makes sense to sell him off. Problem is I don't see us now getting the types of figures quoted a year or two ago. I think we would be looking at £10m max now.

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We will lose 1 player 100% nailed on

3. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Totally agree and I think it will Be Christie

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If I had to choose which one goes, it would be Ntcham and to be perfectly honest that’s not even a hard choice. Ajer has shown signs of being back to his best, Christie is far too important and a fit Edouard is our talisman, whereas Ntcham can’t get a regular game, is woefully inconsistent and plays the position we’re best stocked in as a squad.

I think “disinterested” is a harsh thing to accuse of a player, but Edouard has definitely looked distracted the last few weeks which is a worry. The lack of big money moves happening anywhere makes me think this won’t happen though as I can’t see us accepting anything except top dollar. Hopefully if he’s still here in 8 days time the closure of the transfer window straightens his mind and we quickly see him return to his best.

Mickmac likes this.
  5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Almost certain it'll be either Ntcham or Christie, I think we'll keep eddy and Ajer for another year.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Do you think we'll definitely sell at least one first team player before the window shuts?

Yes

Who do you think is most likely to leave?

Ntcham

Which of those four do you definitely not want to leave?

Eddie

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Don’t think Eddy is going anywhere, there’s not enough money floating about at the level he’d be aiming for I.e. just under the very top teams. It would be best for him and us that he gets his head down and hunts for his best form for future windows.

Wouldn’t be overly concerned at losing a centre mid personally, we are overrun with quality in that area. Ajer, again, not majorly concerned; Jullien, Duffy, Bitton, Elhamed and if needed Welsh. If he’s made his mind up that we’re going 3 at the back long term we may need a replacement though considering Elhamed’s injury record.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not surprised a few people have mentioned Ntcham as the one they'd let go. Ideally I'd like to keep him as I think his quality will be essential for us over the course of the season. My gut feeling was that Ajer was the most likely to go, followed by Edouard. Can't wait for this time next week when we'll know who we definitely have until the next window (at least).

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm actually beginning to think nobody is going in this window.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Dangerous mindset to get into that :celtman2:

11. Foley1888

Not sure anyone will go now but if it was to be one Ntcham seems the most likely. If a bid came in from EPL or Lyon who have been mentioned then I think he would be off.

As others have mentioned due to the current market players like Eddy and Ajer would have probably been away but there doesn’t seem the money going around to buy them at the moment.

On the other hand I do feel clubs have all fallen a bit foul of the window is open to October 5th no rush see how we start the season and now we are less than a week from it closing there may be a bit of a mad rush over the weekend.

12. celtic warrior

You * watch.

We'll get in a * plyer for LB, then some EPL * will wade in with a £30mill bid for Frimpong and we are back to square one.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’ll bet you 30 million that doesn’t happen.

14. celtic warrior

Of course it won't, because we aren't making a serious signing at LB :56:

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think we will sign a LB. We're definitely looking at two, going by Lennon's comments.

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Left back and a winger said it for weeks now

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Right winger?

18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    However ridiculously cautious the club are when it comes to player acquisition, one thing they certainly aren't is stupid.

The reality is in order to balance the books in this time of pandemic without fans and to maintain a healthy outlook, ONE will be sold.

It will be Ajer or Ntcham.

I'd rather it Ntcham, superb player when he's on it but losing Ajer is too dangerous at this point.

Oh. And Eddy's going NOWHERE. At least not for anything less than 40m in this window.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  19. Foley1888

With no crowd or ticket sales for Euro group football or ticket sales for league games beyond STs we will make a considerable loss.

If we sell Ntcham or another it will offset most of our transfer spend but won’t stop us making a considerable loss.

The only way we would have offset a loss this season would have been CL qualification or selling Eddy for a big sum or multiple players (Ajer and Ntcham) for big money.

20. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Do I think a player will go? I don’t think we will be actively looking to sell a player to balance the books. However if we were to sell a player then it’s definitely Ntcham for me.

He simply doesn’t perform consistently enough and I don’t think we would miss him as much as Ajer or Edouard. He has touches of class but overall just doesn’t do enough.

If we were to sell Ntcham and that meant us getting in a first team ready LB and a winger then I would take that as I think overall we would end up stronger as a squad and team.