1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Really good today, not motm good as NL said, but good.

As said must be used a lot, but not every single game.

2. JamesM09

He was much better today.

In possession you could see a big difference. He wanted the ball and wanted to pass forward.

For me that needs to keep happening as well as shutting down opposition attacks.

Hopefully a turning point for this season.

3. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Well done today excellent performance Skip.

4. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Best game from Brown today

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Fantastic to hear he played very well today

6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He was decent but Hibs were pretty poor in there. Huns game is where he needs to show he's not done.

7. joemc

I agree fully with your point about showing it were it matters most , but today he was motm , and why some have a problem giving him credit wen playing well idk , this is not the time for drastic change , if he is fit and playing well then play him , the management will know wen he needs a rest as will he .

DragQueenHoops likes this.
  8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not about giving him credit. It's about having ongoing concerns based on a number of matches rather than one good showing against a poor opposition. Hibs only real threat came down the wings today.

If he shows up well against the huns then he'll get plenty of credit but until then my concerns remain.

We should have had somebody ready to step in to his position 2 or 2 seasons ago rather than playing the guy in every single match at 35 years old. Terrible management of the situation. He should be getting ready to take up a coaching role at the club.

9. joemc

If he is slated for poor games ,credit should be given for good games regardless , its only fair .

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I was thinking about this watching him today. I remember last year he got off to a slow start and a number of people, including me, were all saying he couldn't play so many matches anymore and needed to be rotated. In particular I remember saying he simply could not play a third match in a week before the very match (his third in a week) where it all came together for him and he came on to a good season.

Kind of similar (but more extreme) this year. It's funny to watch people ascribe playing him every game to Lenny being stubborn, but it's clear that Lenny almost certainly understands Broony's situation better than we do not worse, and it occurred to me watching his performance today that Broony seems to have benefited from the lack of rest. What if, counterintuitively, minutes in his legs and no time to regress were exactly what he needed because of his age?

So I was interested to hear Lenny say something very much along those lines in his interview. He said that they have all the data and it indicates that Broony's legs haven't gone and that also it takes him longer to get up to speed these days.

Lenny does make mistakes, but perhaps when he is doing something counterintuitive, maybe we should be humble enough to think that maybe he understands things that we don't (and has access to professional advice that we don't regarding sports science, etc).

The problem with common sense is that it's as often wrong as it is right. It's too early to say that Broony is back based on one performance; just as it was too early to write him off on Thursday night. I hope he is back and proves us all wrong one last time, but who really knows at this point?

But at least let's knock all the stuff about Lenny being stubborn or having his favourites or being a terrible manager on the head now. None of that is true. That doesn't mean he can't be wrong about Broony- only time well tell- but it won't be because of any of those disrespectful reasons if he is.

snails67, Gabriel and Seán Mac D like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon was never in doubt that "imperious" Scott Brown would hit his stride again this season.

The Celtic captain has faced calls for a diminished role in the club's push for 10 In A Row following a slow start to the campaign.

The 35-year-old has faced the accusations before - his legs have finally packed it in, he's finished.

But Lennon insists the club's data analysis tells a very different story.

And, sure enough, despite making his fourth start in 11 days, Brown was instrumental in Celtic's 3-0 win over former club Hibs on Sunday.

Jeremie Frimpong scooped the official man of the match award but, for Lennon, there was only one winner.

I thought he was man of the match and brilliant," the manager said of his captain.

I know people have been questioning him but sometimes he takes a little bit to get going, he needs the games.

"He was imperious today.

"His legs haven't gone, we've got all the data and see it every day. That will maybe kickstart his season.

He's so important on and off the field, he's the fulcrum of the team."

"His performance today was magnificent."

And former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan hailed Brown's influence as priceless.

He told Celtic TV: “Scott led by example and I picked him as one of my choices as man of the match.

“He's seen it all and done it all before, coming back from midweek European games at 4am and then training properly.

“His attitude was fantastic and you could see him cajoling players at 2-0 up.

If a team scores at that point, it can be difficult but he was in there organising.

“Scott's ability on the ball was good and had a lot to do with Celtic's victory."

12. stew37

Glad he's getting the plaudits he deserves, ran it today. Our midfield in general was good to watch. Hopefully kick on from this. Hail hail.

13. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Hopefully the beginning of some good performances from our captain. He still needs rotated even if he does though, madness to expect a 35 year old to play as much as he has so far

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can't comment on the Hibs performance as I didn't watch it live and have only viewed the highlights, but by all accounts he had a good game. Even taking that into consideration, one good game out of all the games he's played this season isn't enough. Statistically his output on the pitch has dropped from just last season, with him winning less duels and intercepting balls less. He's clearly going to be selected in a lot of games this season and I hope he continues to play well, but I do still feel there's cause for concern with him.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes always the same. Rest him and he will turn * just like the past. Longest break hes had, just taking a bit more to get back into it.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's been poor in most games but against Hibs he was superb.

He was always a guy who said he wanted to play every game and that breaks were actually counter-productive for him. For a guy that's basically played 2 games a week for the last 13 years, to then have a 4 month break from football - with no organised team-training or competitive football is massive at his age.

If the data from training suggests he's putting up the numbers he was previously then maybe it is just a case of blowing off the cobwebs and getting the match sharpness back. Granted we can't keep selecting him during a ruck of big games if he isn't getting close to where he should be.

Random Review likes this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can't help but feel Lennon's comments about the data just shows he's still fit enough to run 'x' km each match, or something similar. We certainly weren't imagining players going past Brown in recent matches.

18. Foley1888

Agree with this totally, no ones questioning his fitness you can see from Browns physique he is in good nick. The issue was he looked slow to get to where he needed to be either from lack of pace or speed of thought (which could be match sharpness).

One good performance against a nonexistent hibs midfield doesn’t prove he is back to his best but credit where it is due for a good performance.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, it'll be much more comprehensive than that.

We have the top notch GPS equipment that will include heart rate, acceleration, sprint distances and curves.

That's how they've judged Griffiths was out of condition despite some saying he wasn't looking heavy. Players can't hide from the data these days.

20. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It’s fine saying Brown is still as fit as ever and the stats might say that but I’m seeing with my eyes that players breeze past him in midfield, he’s a half second slow in reacting to loose balls and as a consequence sells himself or gives away a foul and his rack up of yellow cards is proof of that.

In terms of his fitness you just need to look at him to see he keeps himself in very good condition, that doesn’t mean though that in actual gameplay we don’t see noticeable depreciation in key aspects of his game I.e. recovery pace and reactions. A number of times he has been slow to get out or react to situations which have caused goals of chances conceded.

Brown played very well on Sunday against Hibs but the midfield he played against definitely suited him better in terms of style. If he can continue in the same fashion then good but I can still see clear deficiencies which will get exposed against a higher tempo and quicker midfield opposition.

Twisty and Peej like this.