1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster.

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Aug 15, 2019.

Discuss Fraser Forster. in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

I think he's going to finish up sold/loaned to a championship team, who'll pay his full wage, more or less. That's just the way the financial doping of the English setup is... loved the big guy, great memories, no hard feelings really that he's taking the money at his age, but he's gone, and we need to stop acting like some teenage kid pining for their ex back... barkas looks handy enough and that's where we're at now

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I know he is not coming back, I said if there was option I would take him.

You are correct our new keeper is not Lurch far from it and that’s my point.

Not convinced with him at all, but it doesn’t mean I won’t get behind him.

3. cdhoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    any1 who wears the hoops!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the rebels!!
    The big fella never refused to come back ... he very much wanted to however he had a feeling after what celtic offered him as in come back on loan again for a year and then we'll sign you for 2 more years .... he knew and was clever enough to tell them no as they probably would have dropped him like a stone after the season finished as he would have been of no value to us after a further 2 years.... celtic as always wanting there cake and eat it ... I to really hope our knew keeper does the business early days and a few sterne steps to come let's hope he steps up and does the business in arguably our most important season in history

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Even if that is true - which I don't believe it is - how does it differ to his current situation? He still doesn't know what he'll be doing in seasons 2021/22 and 2022/23.

He had the option to either play regular football for a manager who trusted in him, a support base who worshipped him and an opportunity to win more trophies, play in Europe and possibly become part of history. He chose against that to be 3rd choice keeper at Southampton for a manager who had already shown he didn't see him as 1st choice.

Not only that but he didn't even have the decency to respect the club and manager that has done most for his career and pick up the phone to explain that he had a change of heart and either didn't want to come back at all or wanted to assess all options first.

Barkas will be a fine keeper for us and most importantly he wants to be part of it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  5. Big C

According to NL Forster never returned calls. I agree Barkas will be fine and as you said he wants to be here, as for Forster he can rot in the reserves at Southampton for all I care. He must be regretting his decision now, stupid.

6. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    The guy has completely blown it with his career and us as supporters. Unforgivable

Big C likes this.
  7. cdhoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the rebels!!
    some have very short memories... big saves through out his time with us and was incredible in the league Cup final ..... lenny has to toe the line at celtic and dance to lawells tune .... so if big Peter tells lenny this is how we'll spin it this is how you say it!! .... I know foster was willing to come back however not for the initial year on loan.... big gentleman who loved his time with us ...

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Maestro 08

Why would the loan not suit him? It's ideal for him. We were never goin to match his Southampton wages if we took him on a permanent this season. The loan means he gets to keep those wages AND play regular football with us.

Big Shoes and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's football..

FF doesn't owe us anything.

10. horseshoe

We made him an offer and he chose to stay down south it's that simple, you seem to be really going out of your way to paint us as the 'bad guys' in this situation.

I really don't get some fans need to make someone into a panto villain when a transfer doesn't happen.

Dannybhoy81 and scootz like this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No Championship club could afford his full wage. It would have to be a loan or Southampton would have to supplement a percentage of the salary.

He had no intention of returning to us, according to the Saints manager. So in essence, he did refuse to come back.

12. Foley1888

It does seem a sorry state of affairs this one from comments made its clear there was an expectation he would come back, but somewhere along the way that changed.

I don’t blame someone for not wanting to take a wage cut in the region of 50-60% it’s not his fault Southampton gave him a daft long term contract. I can’t also help feel there might have been a family situation which will never come out involved.

At the end of the day he hasn’t come back, isn’t getting a game with Southampton and I don’t now really care what he does as it won’t impact us.

13. northeast67

Its a short career hes not a Tim, he's looking to stick cash in the bank the best way he can you cant blame him wanting to be on double what we would be offering.
    He was a great keeper and a big part of our success lately, Barkas deserves his opertunity now!
    Let's move on

Pablo87, Sgt Neppers* and Dan Breen like this.
  14. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    As said above the big man owes us nothing.

While im dissapointed he didnt come back, but thats life. If the story about answering phones is true, then it maybe slightly sours the feeling some of our support sees in him.

But when we win the 10, and invite some old players and managers up thats played their part. I think most fans will still have more respect for Forster than the snake.

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Did he actually tell you, in person, that he "was willing to come back however not for the initial year on loan"? If not you do not "know" anything more than the rest of the people speculating about what was going on.

Don't you think if he was REALLY wanting to come here on a permanent deal he would have been telling NL (or whoever at the club) that was the only way he'd come and not on a loan, instead of just cutting off all contact with the club? It just doesn't make sense that he'd stop speaking to us if that's what he wanted.

Jeremie Frimpong and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think if he picked up the phone and said to Lennon, he'd have begrudgingly accepted it.

He didn't even have the decency to respond to our offer. Pretty rank when you consider we plucked him from relative obscurity in Newcastle reserves and gave him the platform to earn an England call-up and his £70k a week salary at Southampton.

17. cdhoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the rebels!!
    when or indeed if Fraser joins the speakers circuit in a few years time then I'm sure when asked he will give his version of events and might even produce the messages to back up his reason's for not coming back ..... doesn't it seem strange that a keeper that was lauded and liked by the majority of our support would walk away this coming season when it matters so much ?.... all he wanted was as we all do when we work is knowing that you have as secure a future as possible....

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It doesn't seem strange at all when he was looking at likely having to take a massive pay cut to join us, where if he was able to secure a move to another premiership team he wouldn't.

19. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    I don't see the problem Foster did us a favour and we did him a favour. The relationship is over we have a good keeper in Barkas who wants to be here and Barkas is still young for a keeper with his prime well ahead of him yet. I don't hold any grudges with Foster I would have loved him to stay but he chose not too and we have moved on. Simple as that

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

For most people it seems the problem is the lack of response to our offer.

Had he done that and not kept us hanging then I don't think many would have too much of an issue with him choosing not to come back.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Lupis likes this.