1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Riga FC v Celtic Thursday 24th September 6PM premier sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 19, 2020.

Discuss Riga FC v Celtic Thursday 24th September 6PM premier sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Foley1888

A horrible performance with too many happy to pass responsibility to someone else.

Duffy for all his qualities persisted in giving the ball away continuously from the back often under no pressure at all.

The wing backs that started best thing that happened for us was Forrest pulling up as Frimpong was one of the few who would have got pass marks as he continued to try to make something happen and actually went at players. Taylor simply can’t get passed anyone and missed a great chance when he made a good run in behind.

In midfield, Brown still looks yards of the pace even against a team as poor as Riga. The Ntcham and McGregor far too often are happy turning back and playing the ball side ways and safe offering no drive from the midfield when both are capable of carrying the ball and breaking the lines. One of our CM if not both of them need to be doing this particularly when teams are so deep, Mcgregor done it once getting round the back of them and should have scored or provided an assist where it got cut out. We need a lot more from two of our most talented players. Christie needs to take more care on the ball, he is one of the only players showing any urgency just now but is becoming frustrating at how easy he loses the ball.

In attack, I think that might have been Eddy’s worst game for us, certainly for a while. He kept losing the ball and looked either injured or uninterested. His form so far this season has been a worry. Ajeti has looked clinical so far but I would like to see a bit more from him in his all round play. We need to get a settled partnership going up top soon.

Management is terrible at the moment all this chopping and changing the team and formation shows Lennon hasn’t got a clue who his best team or formation is. He always goes with his favourites and try’s to shoehorn them in. Despite constantly changing the team he refuses to take poor performers out if they are in his favourites and a fair few of the squad don’t look motivated at the moment and look to be going through the motions.

Next week is a big week for us, we will get a test from Hibs on Sunday then our next Euro Game followed by St Johnstone we should be looking to get a settled team and shape on the park for all three.

joemc likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That’s exactly why he should be dropped.

4. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Think we should be focusing playing players in their best roles at the weekend. Neither Forrest or Taylor are wingbacks.
    Would like to see a line up like this for a few games
    Barkas
    Frimpong Juilen Duffy Taylor
    Forrest Christie McGregor Mo
    Ajeti Eddy

At least we're through though, was looking like another embarrassing day

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not read comments, imagine everycunts going bonkers about it but need to say.

They * were absolutely superb at defending man. Fair play to that.

6. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Was a discussion I had tonight with a few others in a Whatsapp group.

I think we are far more suited to a 4-3-3 or even 3-4-3 at least in most domestic games. My biggest issue is we are looking to find solutions to problems in the midst of competitive games. And unfortunately its not a new thing for us.

As for the game tonight. Dreadful stuff.

While I didn't think we were at risk of conceding. It was a game we should be winning by a couple of goals.

Riga done what yer Killie and others do. Defend deep and narrow, Stop the ball into forwards feet and make us play wide and around.

Had a look at some stats during the game, with half an hour to play we had over 300 passes between our 3 centre halfs.

We had McGregor sitting deeper than Taylor down the left side. And our 3 centre mids spent more time picking the ball up off the centre halfs, than they did trying to connect with the other end of the park.

I could go on about a few things but I'm not really making new observations or in the mood to expand.

Frimpong was quality when he came on and his good play led to the finish from Mo El.

7. Frasbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not happy at all with that tonight. The goal went in and i thought thank francis i dont need to watch another half hour of this.

i dont like the pattern that is developing right now.
    I agree with pretty much all of the above, it looks like taylor is limiting mcgregor right now because he is having to look after him.

i hope we get our heads sorted for sunday.

Maestro 08 and seanm like this.
  8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Can’t believe.. well I can.. but it’s astonishing that Neil came out after that game and said we were absolutely excellent.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    i miss Martin O’Neill’s ability of answering questions without actually answering * all.

but * probably would have complained about that anaw to be fair haha

Slaw likes this.
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s frightening the amount on Twitter who are happy with that performance. We’ve let our standards slip so far in the most important season in our history.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wish I was seeing that kinda optimism, all I’ve been seeing is everyone needs the sack and people celebrating Forrest getting injured

12. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Not for me the dafty that whistled the whole 90

seamus1967 likes this.
  13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I felt we were unlucky with some rebounds in their penalty box, but ultimately, if the team has 4 recognized strikers, we should start with 2. If I were Lennon, I'd specifically do training sessions where brute-forcing a breakthrough is the objective, by playing crude, direct football.

14. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    That * is * me off more and more with those stupid comments does he think the fans dont know football we can see the team was * last night infact been * all season and if that * cany see that he should quit it be sacked, this season has too much on the line for his fannying about

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

15. Mince.Charming

You're the *.

Slaw, Sean Daleer and JC Anton like this.
  16. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Go * yourself

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

17. stew37

I don't feel the need to call him stupid names like that, he's done great things for our club and he'll always have my absolute respect.

I do understand people's frustration though. I can't believe he can't see that things aren't great on the pitch, so if hes being honest when he said we were great, that's a concern. The players don't look comfortable and we appear to be frightened to try Turnbull (who's shown he can make things happen against SPL defences for Motherwell), or make going with 2 up front the norm, which is what most people agree we need. Stuck in his ways.

cas79 likes this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's bang on tho isn't he.

Slaw likes this.
  19. Mince.Charming

Stick to calling successful Celtic Legends * on the Internet, i doubt you'd be so vocal in Celtic pubs or in the real world.

JC Anton, Slaw, gandolf and 1 other person like this.
  20. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    I know a little late but the game wasnt on my Premier sport channel last night it was just the tottenham game i could see. I dont want the same thing happening next thursday Which actual Prem Sport channel is is to be on? Ive looked up their schedules for next thursday and nothing showing yet on any of them