1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Series X

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Gyp Rosetti, Dec 13, 2019.

Discuss Xbox Series X in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And what do IP’s make?

2. JamesM09

IPs don’t make anything? Unless you mean money.

IPs are like Halo, Gears of War, Fallout etc.

3. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Nah going to stick with the PS5, not too fussed on those exclusives.

4. Moustache

I don’t necessarily hate the model, and if I owned an Xbox or had a better PC (which may be the case in the hopefully not too distant future) I’d probably be all over it, but like yourself I still prefer physical. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out in the future, because there’s still plenty of question marks.

In regards to ZeniMax, it’s a good get for Microsoft, for a variety of reasons, but it’s the absolute worst sort of acquisition. It’s a show of support for the Xbox division that I didn’t think they would actually get; especially when I think they still have a lot to prove with the other recently acquired studios. It’s always going to be an issue when you have an entity like Microsoft involved; if the higher ups give the green light, they can throw money around in a way that Sony or Nintendo can only dream of. I honestly think it causes a lot more harm than good, and I’m not really looking forward to how how the next few years play out.

5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    IP’s are triple a games are they not? My point is you said they need new IP’s which imo would be the triple a games Sony have been putting out for the cycle of the PS4.

6. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I wonder if it was always Microsofts plan, remember back with the disasterous xboxone launch with the planned DRM and no re using of discs? I wonder if they were gearing towards this model then or if its just evolved as they've had to(excellent value gamepass to compete with PS4).
    On the money scale thing, if Sony had blown this gen the way xbox did at the start there might no have actually have been a Sony come this new gen. The PS4s success has saved Sony.
    I buy all the consoles eventually so I don't mind exclusives and it actually helps the industry to have competition. I get it though, this is a weird one and just seems like a major flex. I know Microsoft own Minecraft and have that on everything, wonder how the other exclusives will play out.

One of the biggest stories in gaming this. I had heard rumours of it ages ago but when it never happened I thought it must have been a load of *.

7. James Gold Member Gold Member

Can't make my mind up whether to pre order or just wait

8. JamesM09

I think it’s gotten confused a bit here but no mate, IP doesn’t mean game, let alone triple A game.

Sorry I didn’t understand the Sony comment.

When someone says they want a new IP, they mean a fresh creation.

For example, Cyberpunk 2077 is a new IP. Halo 6 and Gears 6 are not new IP.

What I’m saying specifically with regard to Microsoft making this purchase is a I don’t think they should solely focus on making sequels for the established IP they will be getting. (Fallout, Doom etc.)

I think they’ve been guilty of doing it in the past and it’s seen them fall behind by putting all their effort into the likes of Halo 4, 5 and 6 when they should’ve instead been coming up with fresh ideas.

9. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If you want one for Christmas you'd be better pre ordering as it will likely be a mad rush.

James likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So an intellectual property isn’t a studios games? Ghost of Tsushima is both an IP and a triple a game, there’s and example of what I meant.

11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The pre orders open at 8am the morra and are tipped to sell out very quickly.

12. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Probably better off with a pre order if you want one before Christmas mate

James likes this.
  13. JamesM09

Yep, like I’ve been saying. Specifically, Ghost of Tsushima is new IP, same as Cyberpunk 2077.

So, just to clarify for my own understanding, when you said “and what do IP’s make?”, what did you mean?

14. Moustache

I think, like you suggested, it was born more out of necessity rather than it being a long term plan.

With Xbox, the One was floundering, their exclusive games were selling less but still making some decent money via micro transactions and then you had the Netflix style rumours involving Google & Amazon. At that point they basically had to do something drastic, especially when you had higher ups & shareholders openly questioning the value of the Xbox brand. They’re probably never going to beat PlayStation in terms of pure hardware sales internationally (even during the 360/PS3 era they basically relied almost entirely on North America & the UK). They’re basically doing a Nintendo, in that they’re probably not going to ‘win’ in a traditional sense, so they’re going to go off and play their own game. They even seem to be willing to position themselves as the supplementary console (see the existence of the Series S) like Nintendo has been doing for the last few generations. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out, because if the sales ratio is similar next-gen and they’re truly eyeing the ‘Netflix of Gaming’ title, they’re going to have to try and get Games Pass on more platforms.

In regards to exclusives, I don’t mind mind them and they provide a competitive reason to buy one platform over the other. What I’ll never like though, is previously third party series disappearing from another platform. It’s business, but it’s always a * practice. I think Minecraft is basically an anomaly in that it’s basically a platform in of itself and it prints money. It makes sense to keep that on as many platforms as possible. I would be incredibly surprised if anything outside of the Doom DLC, Deathloop, Ghostwire and Starfield (and I think that’s 50/50) shows up on PlayStation.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Artorias likes this.
  15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    IP’s end up making the triple a games, it’s what they become.

16. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Series X now looks as it's if it's gonna smoke anything that's came before, the fact PlayStation 5 will still even be able to compete and hold its own is a testament to how good Sony Studios are. This looks like a more fair contest, you have 2 unique bits of hardware now that will have plenty of games you can't get on the other system, this feels more like the good old days.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  18. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Pre-ordered.

19. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I got it with Very on the Buy Now Pay Later for 12 months. Would have preferred the All Access but impossible to get anywhere near Game. Will just set up a direct debit to pay it off and hope there's a few GamePass Ultimate offers.

20. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Been trying all morning, was 64 thousand back in line on the Curry's website now they have * all left, Amazon and Game look dry now aswell. Gonna just give in and wait till launch a day a think.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020