1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

6 games in...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Sep 17, 2020.

Discuss 6 games in... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We drew a game a month in the league for the first 5 months during the invincible season. Priceless draws in hindsight.

All about context.

Liam Scales and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The postponement of some games due to Boli's idiocy has affected us. For worse, probably? After Ferencvaros knocked out Dinamo Zagreb, it becomes evident we're guilty of underestimating teams. They obviously have a great manager, and the guy who could have saved us (Forster) wasn't kept at the club. My main criticism of Lennon is not giving Soro a chance to rotate Brown out. Also, being too skeptical to play any strikers vs. Ferencvaros.

3. WhitleyCelt

Concerned a few idiots are chucking 10 after 6 games. We have 4 new players who will be first team players, once they adapt and get going we will be sound.

The Boli * has affected us, also 2 international breaks 8 weeks into the season in the current climate is mental. We have one just before the hun game, it would be disasterous if we have players missing it because they have to self isolate for 2 weeks.

I think my biggest worry is the pressure on the team after 10. The expectancy will shift to better european performances which we cant handle at the minute. We face medicore teams and * a brick infront of them. Its hard to watch.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Onefootwonder

Another game and another unconvincing performance.

I know we will have numerous off days during the season, but I don't what to see this game after game.

5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Things need to settle and soon.

Let's face it this season is going to be toughest with refs and the huns getting in our faces
    We need to step up to it
    Right now I'd fancy any team to score against us.
    Cant rely on just scoring more...Ala killie game

6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Ferencvaros were woeful against us. One of the worst European defeats in my lifetime.

Fair enough they must have a bit about them if they’ve beat Dinamo Zagreb but surely the game against us was their first game in ages as they were dreadful I thought. Gassed after about 25 minutes and just kept giving us the ball.

Foley1888 likes this.
  7. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

were too easy to play against and gifting chances which our opponents are scoring from

the players seem to be all working hard but are they sticking the foot in enough, do we have players that get stuck in and tackle, fight for the ball ?

Onefootwonder likes this.
  8. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    There is a lot of worrying signs just now, our defence and midfield seem to have a disconnect, resulting in us losing goals that we weren't seeing last season. The players are not quite gelling or at least they are not in any decent flow or are in a good understanding with each other and we are scraping wins when we should be winning clear and safe but surely and I say this with a bit of trepidation, we can only get better.

We are top of the league on merit, albeit by goals scored, while our nearest rivals are apparently having a record breaking season. So if this is the best they have got and we can clearly deliver more, then I feel this season could be a formality. I still believe strongly we will win his league by 10 points or more. Hail Hail

Sean Daleer and Jeannie960 like this.
  9. WhitleyCelt

Do you think the disconnect between the defense and midfield is because Brown is finished? I think someone a bit younger sitting in that role that connects the midfield and defense could solve the problem IMO. Not sure it should be McGregor though, although he is fantastic in that position, he'd be a big attacking threat miss.

If we can keep injury free and get through the next few weeks + one more left sided player - I agree we should push on regardless of other teams apparent progress.

10. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Aye I think so, Brown is just not at it and I'm concerned that's it for him.
    Not convinced by CMcG in that deep role either, he is more effective as an attacking outlet and I don't think we have seen enough of Soro to be sure.

So even though I'm not keen on it I do believe that CMcG is our best option there as long as Broony isn't playing as I think that holds Cal back from controlling the game

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    They might feel like it but in the real world then 6 draws instead of 6 defeats can make a huge difference. An extra 6 points makes a big difference.

Callum McGregor and Seán Mac D like this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lennon should play Ajer instead of Brown sometimes, if he doesn't trust Soro. Brown can't sustain the amount of games that come each week.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The fact theres no time to breathe because the schedule this season will help our focus I think. No time to breathe and reflect, game after game.

14. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The huns * up should be motivation enough, we have been really poor so far this season but we are now in a great position so lets dust ourselves down and get this 10 wrapped up.

And their arses will collapse again.

15. celtic warrior

We've been sluggish sure, struggling to adjust to new system but in the end we are basically level with our title rivals (if you can even call them that) with a game in hand.

Which could see us turn the narrative and go a couple points clear - performances could be a lot better, zero * doubt that all.

But once Duffy, Ajer and Jullien settle as our back three, Frimpong is used to help rotate Forrest in more attacking sense and then Ajeti is up to snuff and paired with Eddie more, our performances should shift gear quickly.

Dannybhoy81 and StPauli1916 like this.
  16. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We're gonna over-react a lot this season because it means so much to everyone. Just because we have weaknesses doesn't make Rangers better, they have their own deficiencies to worry about.

Their first XI is decent, but they really lack strength in depth whereas we have so many quality players to call upon. We'll deal with injuries/suspension/fatigue better over the course of the season, and I think last year partially proves that. I do think Rangers are better organised as a team than we are, though, which is a slight worry, but again I think we'll have too much for them over the course of a full season.

Last point, I love Neil Lennon and absolutely believe he is the right man for this season. His strength is galvanising players and allowing them the freedom to play, and he has proven as a player and manager that he knows how to deal with the pressure and the attention being on him, which will be key for this season.
    I don't want to knock Lennon's ability as a tactician or anything, but I'd rather see us return to having someone who is more of a 'coach'. We have a strong squad, the recruitment has been brilliant this Summer, and even though we're winning games I think we could be better.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Conor tierney

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That start two years ago was something else. Puts this start into perspective, not playing the best but we will kick on. Once the window closes the players can get there heads right. Rangers game will be massive for momentum

19. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just stick with 2 up top and go on a good run. The rest will take care of itself. Beat the scum in the upcoming game and put some distance between us and everyone will calm down.

Really need to be looking into our defensive play/coaching. Nowhere near good enough

20. Foley1888

If I remember correctly it was the emergence of Christie as a CM after Brown and others got injured alongside CalMac and Rodgers that really kick started that season in October, then his injury in the LC final that saw us play poorly for a period.