1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Very impressed so far, along with jullien we now have a real goal threat at set pieces.

Still concerned about the defending in general...I don't know if we're Shakey at the back because of the midfield or not but St mirren could have nicked a draw last night.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

No-nonsense Shane Duffy dropped Gary Breen like a bad habit by insisting his season long loan at Celtic will make him an even better player than he was in England’s top flight.

Former Republic of Ireland defender Breen has come under fire for suggesting Duffy was putting his own international place in jeopardy by swapping Brighton for a dream stint with his boyhood heroes and was in danger of becoming sloppy coasting to easy wins in the Scottish Premiership.

But, after getting off to a flying start, scoring twice and keeping back-to-back clean sheets in wins over Ross County and St Mirren,,Duffy is convinced that he’ll add new strings to his bow in Glasgow’s east end rather than allow his standards to slip.

The 28-year-old hit back: “That’s his opinion but obviously he doesn’t really know me personally or he’d know I’m not the kind of player who would drop his standards. Playing for a club like Celtic you can’t drop your standards or you don’t play and you don’t win leagues.

So I think it’s been a great move for me. Coming up here will help me push on and improve my game more than anything.

“Down south I would be sitting deep and digging in. But I’m on getting on the ball quite a bit now and defending higher up the pitch. If I can add that to my game I’m hoping it’s going to make me a better player, not pick up bad habits.

Listen I’ve really enjoyed it so far. Obviously we had two tricky games at Ross County and St Mirren. People can say what they want about the standard of the Scottish game, that’s their opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

“I don’t read too much into it to be honest. I’m just trying to focus on my own game because it’s a different kind of test up here for me than it was down south but it’s something I’m really enjoying

Duffy also revealed that Republic of Ireland national boss Stephen Kenny also gave the move his blessing before the defender sealed the move.

He said: “Yes I did speak to him about it. He was delighted because he knows it’s a different kind of game up here.

“He feels it’s better for my game to learn these things and add to my game and also get the mentality of winning games every week. So he was delighted.”

And Duffy has not ruled out staying for the long haul after his deal runs out at the end of the 10 in a row campaign.

He said: “I’m not sure where it stands at the minute. I’m just really focused on being here for this year and when the season is over, if it has been successful, the two clubs have to sit down and talk to each other. It goes from there.

“But I have to just really focus on this season and enjoy it and try to be successful here.’

3. Crilly

What a man

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Positive impact so far long may it continue.

Crilly and MickeyyMack like this.
  5. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. DragQueenHoops

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thinks he's been poor tonight. Been defending too much on the back foot rather than going out to win interceptions. Lost a few headers as well.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Overall a good signing and will do well, teams been woeful tonight, as we have the majority of the season. Think he is showing why he is at a Brighton though. More to come from him though. Won't be harsh on one off bad performances - Ajer, Brown, Forrest are the main culprits this season.

10. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Pish tonight.

Tim-Time 1888 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Getting a bit sloppy but it's all new to him playing in a team that command the vast majority of the ball. He will be good in a the big games. That's what we bought him for

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Never going to be a ball player, brown, mcgregor and Taylor passing the ball back too much to our Defenders is half the problem, our cbs are more creative than them. But big Duffy isn't a great passer, but never thought he would be.

In the air and tackles, he'll do well.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He was awful tonight, hopefully a one off but gave the ball away in dangerous positions and didn’t know how to deal with players backing in looking for a foul.

i love his aggression but it’s not the only way to defend

14. Maestro 08

Brighton didn't play him bcos they want to build from the back. Our CB's have more time on the ball than prob any player in the league.

Backs to the wall defending, heading everything that comes into either box? Duffy's ur man. Playing out from the back, one on one defending with teams constantly counter attacking and having to cover into areas that CB's at other clubs don't need to bother with? He'll need to learn fast.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The whole point of having two players like Ajer and Jullien next to him is so they can be the ball players. Not him.

16. Maestro 08

In theory yes. In reality he's on the ball as much as the other two.

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And other teams will just Mark they two and leave Duffy open.

Teams done it to Boyata who’s far better with the ball than Duffy.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s not though.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

If teams are pressing us that high surely we’ve got the quality to pick them apart, which worries me.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We used to beat the press by teams not being able to get near Brown so...

MacEwan likes this.