1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

EMOTIONAL Celtic hero Shane Duffy savoured a goal-scoring debut win and told his mum: I hope I’ve made you proud.

The giant stopper produced a stunning second-half header from a Callum McGregor corner to put the game out of reach for a spirited Ross County who hit the woodwork twice and forced several top saves from Vasilis Barkas.

Odsonne Edouard, Albian Ajeti, Kristoffer Ajer and sub Patryk Klimala were also on the mark for the rampant Celts.

And Irish idol Duffy — who lost his father Brian earlier this year — revealed mum Siobhan would have been celebrating with him.

He said: “It was great to finally get out there. I’ve had to wait a little while.

“It was great to get the goal, a clean sheet and the win, it was a good day, but still with a lot to improve on.

I just said to Cal to hang it up for me.

“We’ve got three big threats now at centre-half and two of us scored.

“So if Cal puts it in the right areas then I can’t see many people dealing with it.

“It was straight off the sweet spot, I attacked it well.

It was obviously a proud moment for me today, it was something I’ve always wanted to do and now I’ve done it.

“I’ll be proud when I look back tonight and reflect on the game — and my mum will be proud.

I’m happy it’s sort of over with now, and I can just focus on the rest of the season, and concentrate on the games.

“It was a big game for me personally because it was my first, so I’m sort of relieved it’s done and dusted and I can kick on.

“Damien Duff texted me today and said, ‘I know it’s not what you dreamed of going to Dingwall in front of 300 fans playing for Celtic’.

“But it was still a special moment.

"This year has been crazy, but it’s something I’ll look back on with immense pride that I’ve got to play for this club.

“Hopefully it will be a successful time.

“I haven’t checked my phone yet but half of Derry is probably texting me!”

Meanwhile, Duffy is hugely impressed with the calibre of team-mate in the Hoops squad, as they look set for a titanic title battle with Rangers – with 10 in a row at stake.

He added: “I’ve been very excited coming in. I didn’t know much about the lads.

“Obviously I watched them, but it’s completely different when you are playing with them.

“You can see there are some great players, it’s just about getting it to gel.

It’s tough for the gaffer to only pick 11 players, I’m happy it’s him and not me.

“Everyone is in the same boat.

"Even the ones who are missing out are disappointed, but they are all backing you, they know how important it is this season.

“If it happens to me I’ll be the same. I think the competition pushes you and that’s what we need.”

Boss Neil Lennon got at his stars at half-time, but Duffy said: “We needed it. I wasn’t too happy myself with the first half.

“We were too open and sloppy, and giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

“The gaffer got into us at half-time, fixed a few things and it was quite comfortable in the end.

“The second half was much better, it could have been seven or eight.”

bagforlife and Tommy25 like this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Absolute unit.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He was knocking * about all day :56: once he got the first 20 out the way he was right at home. Even if it’s one season he will be a legend here!

8. green-yin

Thought this may be a 1 season thing to start with but he is our next captain. Cert!! Broony retires after the 10 and big duffy takes the armband! :ynwacelti

DragQueenHoops and Gully Sands like this.
  9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Seen he's said that he is feeling the pressure to succeed. You couldn't tell. He was easily the best player on the park yesterday.

Whenever the cameras were on him yesterday, he was barking orders at other players. We need that, especially at the back. I loved it.

Can you imagine when he is fully match fit and on the same wave length as the rest of the team?

Crilly and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brown won't be captain forever. We do need around 3 leader types in the dressing room. The conclusion on what to do on the next summer transfer window is obvious.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Smashed through everyone for that goal man :56: nobody was stopping him there. Absolute machine.

Tommy25, Rydo1888*, The_Bhoy and 3 others like this.
  12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That * Gary Breen said that Duffy has finished his Republic of Ireland career because he has moved to Scotland.
    He also said that not a single Scottish Premiership striker would make it in EPL.
    That English * has won absolutely * all for club or country.
    He wasn't good enough to play for his home country so went to play for Ireland where he won * all.
    What a *.

eire4 and Gully Sands like this.
  13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I’d prefer to see him in the centre of the back 3 and Jullien on the right. He’s just absolute unit that goes through everyone, something we’ve not had in quite a while.

DragQueenHoops and Mr Shelby like this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Yet our ex striker is most likely to be bought for about £70m+ :56: the same striker half the EPL tried to sign before us. *.

eire4 likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s the same thing you hear from pundits and ex-pro’s again and again. The one common factor is they’ve almost always never played here.

Pretty much no player in Scotland is good enough to play in the mighty premier league until they actually go an play there, and demonstrate that they are and always have been good enough. It’s been the same since forever. Guarantee the same people would be saying each of Van Dijk/McGinn/Wanyama/Armstrong/Dembele/ Tierney/Pukki/Robertson weren’t good enough. How could the like of McGinn possibly cope when he’s playing in a pub league for a practically part time team like Hibs? How could Pukki do it when he flopped up here? Yawn. People who look at football in such black and white terms simply don’t know the game. Certain players have characteristics that lend themselves to certain playing styles, and leagues.

The reality is there’s always been players playing in Scotland more than capable of making the step up to the English premiership. Usually a fair number of them. And on that point actually.....’the Premiership’ is a * massive scale of quality. The gap between a starting regular for City or Liverpool and a jobber simply collecting a pay cheque while half heartedly fighting relegation is massive.

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    There's also been another of premiership players that have failed up here. Joey Barton

Tommy25, bobs1974 and Peej like this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Who?

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    English born Gary Breen who played for Rep of Ireland. So, yeah, Who?

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    The type of centre half we have been crying out for.

eire4, Gyp Rosetti and Gully Sands like this.