1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Disagree a bit there mate- a prime example of the annoying ness at times is he breaks away well Scotland 2-1 up wee mcgregor matches his run sideway pass mcgregor is right through but he ends up trying to beat the guy losing it and starts an attack for Czech republic

Crilly, Dan Breen and The_Bhoy like this.
  2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Someone put his back heel attempt against Ferencvaros on twitter again and it’s made me fuming. Again.

3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i dont know if hes trying to hard or what but he seems to be headless chicken this season so far

i remember him at his best having more composure and not getting the ball taken off him as much

im saying to myself whilst watching him slow down use your brain more but he seems to want to do everything at a 150mph, it is frustrating, stop trying to force it ryan and its a team game not a 1 man show

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    For me the difference is he now things he's neymar or something. Someone is in his ear and comments made by his father during summer alluded to that fact. He's a good player and he never shys away from responsibility but he can be incredibly selfish for me at times.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

5. Crilly

Didn’t see that but yeah disagree I’m them cases

6. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

trying to get out this transfer window

well hes another one that can get to * then, doesnt seem to be any gratefull footballers anymore, there all desperate to move to england, hes been at celtic for years has 1 decent season and he thinks hes maradona, *

DragQueenHoops and Dublin Celt like this.
  7. Foley1888

Reminds me a lot of the Armstrong situation where he had been poor for Ronny, had one standout year in the invincible season, head was turned on a move to England eventually signed a one year extension and he never kicked a ball the last year here, 17/18. He might as well have left when he wanted to go at the end of the 16/17 season.

So in 3 and a half seasons here he is was good for one.

Christie was obviously out impressing on loan but looked like he was for the exit then grabbed his chance, had a good season and a half but did have a couple of fairly lengthy injuries in there.

Has started this season patchy and rumoured to want to go. The only difference I can see is that he will command a bigger fee as he has two years on his deal opposed to one. However I would sell now rather than have him a season where his mind is half elsewhere like Armstrong.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Christie has the same agent as Armstrong, so I could see this coming a long way out.

I don't think him and Lawwell get along all that well. He's also the agent of Turnbull and if you remember the histrionics of the deal in Summer 2019 of going down to Norwich only for them to pull out of a deal, then us going back in etc.

The fact we've not managed to get Christie on an extension despite it being spoken about publicly a few times is a worry.

9. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Do you have a source on that, or have you just made it up?

Either way, it’s untrue.

10. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Either way, I'm glad that one of you is in the know.

11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Would be happy to see him go. In my opinion picked on the fact he has an unbelievable engine. I’d rather a 60% fit Rogic than a fully fit Christie. He’s just one of the players I can’t take to. Maybe the comments in the media have * me off but I agree with someone above, seems to think he’s * Neymar, trying these ridiculous passes and flicks/tricks. Shooting from 500 yards every time he gets a bit of space. Needs reeled in and told a bit of reality.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Respectfully this is one of the most batshit crazy comments I've ever read on here.

A 60% fit Rogic was the one we seen brought on v Rangers in our 2-1 win that all but sealed 8 in a row. He was that much of a passenger that Rangers players were walking by him and Sutton said we were effectively playing with 9 men (with Boyata having hobbled off after all 3 subs were made)

A fully fit Christie is the guy who: scored 19 goals and had 16 assists for us last season, that scored the equaliser and set up the winner in the home game v Lazio, that set up Julien to score the winner in the League Cup Final 19/20, that scored the only goal of the game in the League Cup Final 18/19, that burst through the Leipzig defence to set up Edouard for the winner in the Europa 18/19 that then seen us qualify....and many, many more things.

He's not infallible, no player that plays for us is but to say you would take a 60% fit Rogic over him is bordering on asylum levels of lunacy. Christie has done a lot of good for us in the last few years that seems to have went unappreciated/under-appreciated.

martin_d, Pablo87, Fontaine and 5 others like this.
  13. Big C

14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    When I say a 60% fit Rogic, I’m referring to the Rogic of year one under Rodgers, because let’s face it, I don’t think he’s ever been 100% fit.

I’m not saying he didn’t have a good year last year. He done very well, came up with some very important goals and assists, no doubt. Towards the back end of the season and the start of this season, he’s been brutal. That’s why I say he needs reeled back in. He plays like he did start of last season and simplifies his game and we are back to having an effective player. His set piece deliveries this year have been embarrassing at times and he had 9 shots against Dundee United was it? Some of them were ridiculous. I like that he stands up when it matters, he tries to get a grip of the game but he’s not Messi, these switch of plays that end up out the stadium, these shots that end up in the top tier of Celtic park, he needs to reel it back, simplify it all and things will be better. His engine is genuinely out of this world and if we ever pressed as a team, it would benefit him even more.

Needs to also be said, this season hasn’t been helped by Lennons decision to play him as a striker for 2 games. Perhaps I’m making him a scapegoat, the way some fans do with Forrest. I just get hugely frustrated with him and have done this season.

15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i was responding to dublincelt saying his father had made coments in the summer

anyway you dont take peoples opinions on internet forums as source information ffs

were all just celtic fans trying to figure out what the * is it with his game just now and were probably overblowing it as we do and singling him out to an extent, well this is his thread ;) hes not been our worst player in any way it just seems hes trying to hard for me, maybe thats a consequence of the rest of the team not firing on all cylinders

as the whole team has been * so far this season, were not playing well as a team and our players are struggling for form individually

weve had a rough start we all want things to get better

speculating though > if he does want out he can gtf same as anyone else

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Rogic of the 16/17 season was a fine player for us but he's done basically nothing in 2 years for us now due to injury and fitness issues.

I think a lot of the criticism of Christie is way over-the-top. In February and March before the shut down he had 2 goals & 3 assists from 8 games, including the only goal of the Scottish Cup game at Perth that kept the quadruple treble alive.

This season he has 2 goals & 2 assists from the first 6 games. He's had poorer games sure and been guilty of poor finishing and passing at times but he's still contributing.

The thing I like about him is he specifically doesn't always play it safe, if we asked him to play the safe, sideways pass and not have pops from 25 yards then I'm sure he could play the role for us. Maybe he'd come in for less personal criticism too.

Lennon has said he doesn't want that. He wants Christie to play that marginal pass forward that sometimes will result in lost possession, he wants him to break the opposition lines when the game is stagnating with side-to-side Deila football, he wants him to take pops at goal from distance....but for Christie's free kick at Rugby Park we could've played all day and not scored.

For all that his passing can be slack and his shots lack conviction, he pretty much always doesn't let it get to him, sticks at it and comes back again. Personally I like that tenacity in a player and I think for a lot of supporters it will be the case of 'you don't know what you've til it's gone' with Christie. He's massive to us.

Mince.Charming and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just reckon he is being played out of position in the 10 or right wing. With his energy he needs to be in the engine room, along side CalM. He is too greedy at the moment

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

My issue with Christie atm is 100% his passing for both club and Country this season.

Don't know if it's just bad luck or whatever but most his passes are finding the feet off the opposition more often than not.

Needs to get the finger out in that respect - which I'm sure he will.

19. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It was Christie who lost possession in the lead up to Ferencvaros second goal. We were on the attack Christie trying to dribble his way out of trouble and lost possession instead of playing simple pass.

There were mistakes after that from Elhamed but the initial turnover and counter attack all came from Christie not being careful in possession.

I am all for players taking the risky pass because I agree if he doesn’t no one else will and you need that to break through teams camped in. He does however need to be more careful with the ball, we know we are highly susceptible to the counter attack because our midfield geta passed through very easily.

We also don’t utilise his best asset properly either which is his engine. Christie presses when no one else does and it makes him look like a headless chicken but he’s actually applying pressure on the opposition rather than being passive.

If our management and players actually were able to press as a cohesive unit rather than as individuals we would turn over possession in opposition halves leading to better goal scoring opportunities.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I wouldn’t be overly concerned if he left this window provided we get weighed in for him.

We have enough in the current squad to cope, especially if Turnbull continues to score as many as he did for Motherwell or more. Which he should.