1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

whose a tackler in our team ? who in our midfield is strong and can hold onto the ball under pressure ? who can run alongside opposition players and outmuscle the ball off of them ? who can read a game and you can rely on to do defensive work ?

mcgregor christie ntcham i dont think so, we lack the attributes brown has given us, most of our players look good because brown is behind them sweeping up doing the * jobs and they can look good going forward mcgregors the nearest we have to being able to play browns role and i would argue that diminishes him as a player, hes not a defensive midfielder hes better in the opposition half creating chances and scoring great goals id actually argue hes better at that than christie is who has the energy but not the natural skills and talent of mcgregor

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Turnbull?

3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

is he a defensive midfielder and or tackler ? i thought he was an attacking mid or box to box with the amount of goals he scores

at this moment in time browns starting against the huns cause we havent played well without him in years weve become to reliant on him and other players dont do the type of work he does

4. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Mcgregor is more than capable of doing the work brown does.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

if you mean getting the ball from defence and setting up attacks then yes and he does it quicker so thats good but thats not all brown does

mcgregor or christie doesnt smell the danger, aint aggressive, dont run down opponents and out muscle them, aint good tacklers (afraid of getting injured ?) i.e. they arent defensively minded midfielders, and they aint got the "im the man" personality that browns got
    so with the midfield we have we really need a scrapper, digger in there to replace brown or they need tought how to tackle its not enough just to track back and cover players some * got to get the foot in and take the ball of them which is what brown could do in his prime

Dannybhoy81 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yes he is but hasn’t got the same dig or influence on the team, that said I sadly do think we are seeing the coming to an end of a Celtic legend. It’s how we replace that massive gap once Brown does retire is the question.

7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Nailed it at the end of your post “in his prime”.
    Mcgregor will be celtics next captain if he hangs about, pretty sure I’ve seen A few players coming out saying how big an influence he has in the dressing room.

I disagree also about McGregor not smelling the danger the same way brown does... McGregor reads the game very well for me.

8. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    He is currently doing it. Mcgregor makes a bigger impact defensively now in all areas , interceptions is the only place where brown is still on Mcgregors level. That would be all fine and well if it wasn't hindering his attacking output and influence going forward.
    If Mcgregors future or even present is at dm then it should be on his own with 2 or 3 midfielders infront of him that compliments him. Left back is the only position he plays where he is wasted more than at LDM

Boruc17 likes this.
  9. Foley1888

There is no one from Ntcham, CalMac or Christie that are properly suited to the role Brown plays for us.

We did play well without Brown for a spell two seasons ago with CalMac playing like a deep lying playmaker and Christie as an energetic box to box midfielder. Rogic then played the 10 in a 4-2-3-1 sharp.

However, we probably needed more of a defensive strong DCM/CM player than Turnbull but that could change quickly if we lose Ntcham and/or Christie. Soro was brought in to be that player but has been worryingly anonymous and in preseason he didn’t look like he had the positional awareness.

Every good team has someone to do that role in the team, so we really need to prioritise that sooner rather than later.

10. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This season could see Broony just 1 trophy behind Cesar in trophy haul.
    Cesar is on 26 including EC and 3 British Home Championship wins as a player.
    Broony is on 21 but there are 2 SC plus LC and League to play for.
    Not including Broonys LC win with Hibs.
    2009-10 being the only season he didnt collect a trophy with Celtic.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

Been watching Celtic about 30 years and the only midfielders I've seen that could smell danger like Broony were Lenny and Paul Lambert*. Between them the last 20 years are all covered, Younger fans who only know that may be about to find out how difficult these players are to find and how important they are.

Vic was a great defensive midfielder too; but he was too young to have that ability at the time. I've no doubt he has it now, but he'd be out of our price range.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    KRS-1888 likes this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Roy Keane was mental at it but just never had the legs anymore. That Hun game with Lenny and Keane in the middle of the pitch was crazy, two old guys who couldn’t run and they were impossible to play through.

13. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    I’m well aware how important a role the battling midefielder is and how important Scott brown has been over the years. Like yous says, it’s hard to replace that kind of player... in his prime. But he’s no longer in his prime. It’s all very well and good being able to sense the danger but if you’re legs no longer allow you to keep up then sensing the danger is irrelevant.

Peej likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Forgot about Keane there. Not quite sure why I said 12 years instead of 22 either.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Markybhoy

Graeme Shinnie doing a Lee Wallace on our captain. No-one likes a grass.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Markybhoy

18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Ledley was phenomenal at it as well. Covered both full backs like a boss.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Will you guys please stop pointing out players I missed and slowly making my post look dafter and dafter? :(

FrankMcCallum and Liam Scales like this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You do that all by yourself. :84: