1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Darragh MacAnthony isn’t short of a few words.

The Peterborough chief saw striker Ivan Toney join Brentford for £9m last week amid interest from Celtic, but was unimpressed with one club’s efforts to sign him.

The seething US-based businessman was left smarting by one club who he claims tried to pull a fast one during signing talks.

They came in with their fee, half of what Brentford paid, their pitch was ‘listen, we’ll just wait to January, and in January we will pre-sign him and you won’t get a pound note.

When you try and negotiate with me like that, all you do is f****** wind me up. I wasn’t born yesterday, I’ve been around the business a long time, that’s probably over £60m worth of transfers I’ve done since I bought Peterborough United.

For a lower league club, that’s unbelievable business, I know what the market is, I know it’s not a fast moving market, not a massive amount in fees.

But I also know the premium for a player like Ivan Toney should go for, trust me when I say, Brentford will either get promoted or sell him for £25-35m.

We’ll end up with another £3-4m, down the line, you can take that to the bank. That’s a guarantee in my opinion.

Still banging on about us these *

2. themouth1888

That was 100% Lawell trying to get him on the cheap. * me off as well tbh.

How many other players have we lost out on due to crap like this?

john2061 likes this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Spells out what we already know about how our negotiations take place and it's why our deals always seem to turn into transfer sagas.

Personally I wouldn't have went to £9m for Toney based on the little that I know and have seen about him but if a club quotes us too high a fee and are unwilling to budge then I'd rather we moved on civilly rather than cheap threats of waiting it out to sign them on a Bosman.

No doubt we did similar to Hibs with McGinn, only to eventually meet their asking price after 7 weeks of dicking about...to then have been overtaken by Villa in the queue. It's rank.

We seem to end up in histrionics with every deal: Initial bid, leaked to press (hopefully unsettle player), 2nd bid - if rejected leave it weeks in the hope the player or agent tries to force through the move and the club is then begrudgingly accepts our deal.

I understand we operate on a constrained budget and that we need to try to get value out of every £ spent but I wish we didn't have to engage in these tactics in more or less every deal that we enter into.

Unfortunately it is a cycle that we won't see being broken until the guy negotiating the deal isn't personally incentivized for the club to return a profit.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Bet he turns out *:fear:

5. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Guy should wind his neck in. Not like his own club are a bastion of professionalism with their running social media commentary on transfer negotiations.

Westlondonscot and Smithy like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

To be honest the guy has a point, they got £9m when I think our max bid was £6m.

If Arsenal acted in that way for Edouard, in the way he is suggesting we did above then we'd be calling them everything under the sun.

If a selling club's price is too high and they're not willing to budge, why try to bully them into submission with threats of pre-contracts etc.? Rotten behaviour IMO.

7. JamesM09

Pure speculation but the vibe I get from Lawwell is he loves dealing with smaller clubs and players so he can use hardball tactics to save money.

If that’s the case then I think what we’re starting to see is that is no longer an option. The market is changing fast. Hibs and Peterborough have both been able to tell us to * off.

We need a change of approach. No more looking at the smaller, let’s look bigger instead. Look for the best young players coming through from the biggest clubs, not the best bargains.

8. Craiglang Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    Watched a bit of him yesterday

harsh to judge on one game but didn’t look a world beater

Crilly likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Exclusively signing players dropping down from bigger/richer clubs would be a massive mistake. That means no Wanyama, no Van Dijk, no Dembele, no Christie etc.

It should certainly be part of our strategy as you can strike gold with the likes of Edouard or Frimpong but we can't shut off part of the market simply because they play at a lower level - no well-run, forward-thinking club can afford to do that.

The fact we have been told to do one by both Hibs and Peterborough (and no doubt others over the years) shouldn't mean we cut off our nose to spite our face.

What I'd like to see is a DoF given a budget both for wages and transfers and they then have full autonomy on how that budget is attributed, working in conjunction with the manager. Lawwell's expertise is in the financial and commercial side of the PLC, not adjudicating or overruling on the opinion of Lennon or Hammond on footballing matters.

If they are within both budgets and both of them think it's the most effective way of using that budget, then sign them and if they fail then they can be held accountable for that.

JamesM09 and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Who gives a *.

Ajeti is here and proven.

I wouldn't give that walloper Anthony two squirts of * for his league one plumbers.

Crilly, Rydo1888*, Tommy25 and 5 others like this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I mean there are plenty of times to get annoyed with how Lawell negotiates with players, this isn't one of them. 9 million is absolutely nuts for a 24 year old league 1 player with less than a year left on his contract.

Crilly, Tommy25, DennyCelt and 9 others like this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed, I don't think anyone was saying we should pay £9m but if what is being said is true then it's symptomatic of wider issues with our transfer strategy - which should be concerning.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Brentford never paid 9million either

14. Smithy

Well said. I'd be fuming if we spent £9M on a league one striker, let alone one with a year left on his contract.

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. jambo_cfc

Brentford paid 5 with the potential of 9 , we offered 5 with no firther fees

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Isn't worth 9 mill and the Peterborough hierarchy were known to be lying a few time's throughout as well as being well known * in the football world..

Callum McGregor and trackebhoy like this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Have no issue with anything we did tbh. It’s obvious to anyone that if we’re interested in a player with 12 mihrab left on his current deal, and he’s still in the same situation 6 months later, we’re very likely going to be interested again. There’s no point in us ignoring the fact that length of contract remaining affects a players value.

We were simply priced out of this one. Good luck to the lad but not for £9m. When you see what we paid fo Ajeti it really puts the Toney fee in perspective.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Ajeti over Toney everyday of the week for me..

Said it from the off so it's no sour grapes but we've got a European level pedigree, title winning, international striker, for a snip..

Tommy25 and King of Kings like this.
  19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    What’s this pleb talking about, footballs a business, the player being signed has three valuations, the sellers fee, the buyers fee and the middle ground. Much like when you buy anything off someone, very rarely will anyone go “I’ll give you full whack” without any negotiations. If a shop says I want 300 quid for a TV and the person says well if I wait until the sales I’ll get it for a quid. Then it’s completely up the the seller to make a decision of sell for an amicable middle ground amount, Wait for a bid for top buck or run the risk of the customer getting a bargain. Welcome to business 1-0-1, you dont need to back to Harvard to figure that one out.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I couldn't give any less of a *. If we wanted him badly enough we would have bought him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.