1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don’t remember him being this bad at the start of the season in years gone by.

He’s painfully slow and loses about 3 out of every 5 duels that he’d usually easily win.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Question is, does he start against the uglies ?

I think Lenny will play him tbh, but do you think he should start ?

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Almost guaranteed to start but by no means should he be playing the full 90. He's been slow enough as it is let alone when he'll have put a 60+ minute shift in.

Hopefully he improves his form and fitness before then cause he's been way off it so far.

4. Mince.Charming

Fair enough. I just think people are jumping the gun. I've seen and heard it all before. I hope he proves people wrong again.

Hammy89, HoopyT and Maestro 08 like this.
  5. Markybhoy

I've been defending \O/ on this forum pretty much since 2008. Every time his form would dip it seemed there was a wave of people queueing up to say he was never a Celtic player and should be sold. Butch's posts about Broony will be forever burned on my mind.

I have to admit though, after twelve years, I have finally succumbed and joined the ranks of those who think it's time to move on. I wouldn't sell him - yet - he HAS to be at Celtic on the day we lift the trophy for 10IAR(* willing). But I definitely think it's time to reduce his appearances in the first team. There are so many home games where he's just not really needed. McGregor and N'tcham would be a preferable pairing in games where we are likely to dominate possession and are faced with a packed defence.

Father time is undefeated and I think Broony's legs are finally starting to go a wee bit. It happens to even the greatest of them. I don't think our manager sees it though. He'll probably stay 100% loyal to him even if his performances aren't what they once were. Which would be a mistake. Ironically, it is the same mistake Rangers made with several of their players when they were chasing ten.

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think the longer than usual break was actually a bad thing for him. It's easier to keep yourself at a certain physical level than it is to try and regain it after a dip, especialy as you get older. I think he could eventually get back to it, the question is how long that will take and can we afford to carry him in the team until he gets there?

I think the reason he is played, regardless of his own contribution in game, is he's seen as the only real onfield leader we have. Maybe with Duffy here now he will take on some of that role meaning Brown could be left out for more. Whether he will be or not remains to be seen.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Well I think we all do.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Brown has always maintained his fitness, so dont reckon its anything to do with fitness, just has lost that yard, reminds me of when time caught up with Gary Neville.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think so...or thought so... I mean....I don't know. What exactly are you offering?

It's been a few years, I'm not going to lie. :54:

10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Completely agree. I would never sell him, I'd hope that he recognises it and goes out on a high and not being dragged by the rest of the team.

Ntcham wants away because of lack of game time, which we should definitely be giving him due to Brown being on reduced appearances.

Lennon will stay 100% faithful to Brown though and will play him regardless. It's a shame though as he is on the decline now.

I've been championing him and didn't think that his time was up when others have said it (incorrectly). It's now time to plan for a time without Brown. We should be preparing for it.

11. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    The problem is that they overrun us in midfield last season, and will look to do the same again. I think we need pace and youth in there against them.

Taking him off against them would be the ultimate insult too in his final years. It would be better if he had a wee "niggly injury" before the game and missed it.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. MyNameIsMartin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    There's no question about it just how important Scott Brown is as a leader on and off the field. However, although we are gaining momentum and getting the points, questions must be asked if SB is a negative weight on the team? Could we throw CalMac in his position and integrate Ntcham/Turnbull instead? I think so.

To not, at the very least, try may be one of the most dangerous mistakes Neil could make. Brown is the type of player that would turn up for training with one of his legs missing and still tell you he's just fine. Neil needs to open his eyes to this possibility and act accordingly.

This is not the year to fall asleep at the wheel.

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes not as bad as folk make out here. I seen him break up plenty of attacks in the last game aswel. Not one mentioned. He just so happens to be the player under the fans microscope right now. Putting folk like ntcham toy thrower in his place. No thanks. He'll prance around like a proud steed and put that magical "10" trophy above his head for one of the most iconic pictures in celtics history and retire a true hero. I for one will enjoy his last year, and wish him well for when he becomes manager in a few years time.

Scott brown! Leader of the Celtic.

15. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's hardly as bad as some are making out.

I do agree he's got off to a bad start but the midfield In general has been total gash.

I dont think it's fitness like under Ronny.

He should be rested more I feel, as should the others, but him a bit more than others. He still has a lot to offer.

16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sure he does. But cannot expect him to perform in 3 games in 8 days.
    Brown is my only concern right now, we have a good squad, only thing I see stopping the 10 is Lennon's unwillingness to drop Brown.

dbhoy72 likes this.
  17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I.cant disagree, but that's been a Lennon problem for so long.

Doesn't want to rest/drop certain players and just assumes it'll work itself out.

18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    And that was also a Rodgers failing also, flogging players.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Nope. Going on current form, he'd be a weak link.

20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Nobody can question Broony commitment to the hoops as he lives and breathes Celtic.
    He should be in every squad so as the club captain he can motivate everyone.
    Should he start every game , absolutely not as his form has been poor and his pace is now lacking .