1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Olivier Ntcham

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Norm Peterson, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss Olivier Ntcham in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Got a group chat with the pair of them do you?

I mean, he only played the 85 games in 2 full season under Rodgers and 38 games last year under the two of them. He’s also forced into the team often out of position, which for me is telling.

But ok.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think it's safe to say he's never been a regular starter under BR or NL. I'm pretty sure a lot of those appearances were as a sub and when he starts he's often been subbed. I can't remember him ever being played anywhere other than midfield.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He started 20 league games his first season.

He started 14 league games his 2nd, where he was injured for 13 league games. He still played in 37 games that season despite the injuries.

He started 17 league games last season. He’s always been under utilised but these numbers suggest midfield rotation rather than him being “4th choice”.

He’s been used at LM, DM, AM and CM. “Midfield” isn’t really a position, there’s places on the field and roles that suit players. He’s often not been used where suits him most.

Do you really think that ability wise he’s the 4th best central midfielder at our club?

4. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've never been a fan of Ntcham. I just can't see what other people see in him (and I do try). Looking silky on the ball occasionally and playing the odd good pass isn't enough for me. He disappears out of games too much, takes too long on the ball so gets caught in possession too much, doesn't cover enough ground, doesn't tackle and for the positions he plays doesn't create or score enough. There's no point having ability if you don't use it. There's plenty of players with more ability than Ntcham who've struggled to make it because they lack the other attributes needed to be a successful footballer - commitment, effort, determination etc.
    As you say he's been played in nearly every midfield position and for me he hasn't been particularly good in any of them.
    He plays the odd good game - I think he was one of our better players against Ferencvaros - but for me that's not enough.
    I know I'm in the minority but there would be no point having a forum if we all agreed on everything.

wanmadtim and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Fair enough. I won’t argue with an opinion unless someone lies, but you see what you see and I see something different.

Mickmac likes this.
  6. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    He needs a regular run. I've changed my opinion on him in the last while and think he's been one of our better players recently and will only get better with game time. Used to think he was surplus to requirements but now I think it's vital he stays and not just for the Eddy factor either.

7. stew37

Agree with most of this, he can be good, but he's very rarely a standout for me. I reckon in today's market we should still be able to get a decent fee though, so if someone comes in with 10 million I'd be happy for him to go.

He doesn't always look interested. Could say the same about Eddy but that's more his style, and at least he more often than not comes up with the goods. Can't say the same about Ntcham.

Been plenty of match threads on here with people complaining about him going missing; sometimes think because he's not always playing, people have a misconstrued memory of how good he's played for us previously.

8. aliceinsound

Eddy will be fully aware Ntcham wants to leave if reports are true, don't they still live together?

Not sure preventing him leaving and potentially complaining about still being here everyday will do Eddy any good either tbh

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Media linking southampton back in for ntcham for 5m.

After paying 7m for Armstrong with just a year left on his contact

10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    1/2m profit, right, yeah, lol.

11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So what is his best position?

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Wouldn't even afford one leg.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Maybe throw in Ed for £9.5m.......

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Southampton could revive their interest in Celtic midfielder Olivier Ntcham after major target Weston McKennie snubbed the South Coast for a switch to Juventus.

The English Premiere League outfit have the Parkhead playmaker on their radar with manager Ralph Hasenhuttl seeking replacements for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who has joined Tottenham, and Mario Lemina, who has left for Fulham.

Hasenhuttl had hoped to land the USA ace from Schalke, but McKennie has opted for Serie A.

Juve have signed the midfielder on a £4million loan, which they're obliged to make permanent for £16.5million if certain conditions are met.

Saints have various options, but Ntcham's name remains amongst those on the list.

The French midfielder is in his fourth season at Celtic but has been in and out of the team under Neil Lennon

The 24-year-old has also been linked with Lyon and Porto.

Ntcham has started each of Celtic's last three games, but hasn't always been first choice at Parkhead.

He's made 123 appearances since joining from Manchester City in 2016, scoring 23 times.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There would be no point whatsoever in letting him go for 5 million. Be as well keeping him and using him this season, he’s a big asset to us.

Double it and we’ll talk, 5 million is actually embarrassing.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sounds like they're trying their luck due to uncertainty over finances during the pandemic. Cheeky *.

Dannybhoy81 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Needs to start every week. So much of our play went through him.

Valhalla likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Thought he was quite poor until his assist..

Has that in abundance but didn't impose his self much in the game until it went away from Ross County..

Was lovely his involvement for Ajer's though..

19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Our best midfielder today.

Crilly and Callum McGregor like this.
  20. Pearse67*

Which shows how poor our midfield was.

Didnt really get motoring until his assist, has all the attributes to be grabbing games by the scruff up here but doesnt do it nearly enough sadly.

Dan Breen likes this.