1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ajeti could have played midweek. He doesn't need to run around all over the place, that's why we play with 2 wingers, a number 10 and attacking fullbacks. Let them do the running.

Surely better to start him, hopefully get a few goal lead then take him off for a guy like Klimala to then take over some of the running when other guys are getting tired.

Mickmac, GuttleGob and The_Bhoy like this.
  2. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye not good when your manager acts like a wimp and shrugs responsibility

3. celtic warrior

Cracks have been well and truly papered over

4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    We were * today.. slow and predictable and look utterly inept at the back.. Motherwell are absolute dirt, make no mistake about that.

Lennon wont be leaving anytime soon so he better use the break to have a long hard think about the way we are playing..

5. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Thing is thou mate seen they same core of players after we’ve had 2 poor August s go on runs to win trebles and beat teams like Leipzig and lazio home n away in eoropa league also seen the Huns starting off really well every August but can’t maintain it

totally agree with everyone about Lennon should definitely have started with a striker and can see by the looks of Ajeti he’s going to be a good yin but naturally he does look like he’s carrying a bit of beef and probably isn’t match fit for full 90 minutes also definitely see klimala has bulked up and some of his hold up play was good but he had 2 easy chances and his finishing was poor so can also see he is still a bit raw and why Lennon doesn’t fully trust him yet

going over old ground but Griffiths came back fit him n Eddy would have started every game

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think the Lenny jigsaw is nearly complete, still a couple of missing pieces needed to complete the picture.

The transfer window thus far has been not to shabby, remaning signings may depend on who leaves ?

8. joemc

A think there is a bit of steam being added to the issues at celtic regarding Neil lennon , the media are pouring fuel over any negatives from us and we as fans are buying into it from sheer panic cauz this season is not normal for many reasons .
    I think he was right to not start any of the strikers as they clearly are not up to the task atm , thoughts about carrying any players during important games probably to the fore in his thoughts .
    I would rather he had the confidence in his ability to make key decisions and not have to 2nd guess fan reactions , his quote he lives or dies by his decisions are true and he has to be able to do this .
    We are reactionary as fans and Wednesday has shown this year will take a brave man to guide us and filter out the white and green noise in the background, i know in my job I've learned more from mistakes and grew as a person from them , we are human ,we don't always get it right , the frustration comes on top of the Copenhagen game and I feel that as well .
    Lenny has not became a bad manager overnight , he is one of us and feels the same pain in a loss , I would rather that than someone who is unfazed , this season has to be allowed to settle down a little , let the players get going properly , and stay brave , let the media do their best to build negativity , there is plenty of time to lose the plot ,we are only off the blocks .

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fantastic post.

10. Ak1

Agree with majority of Joemc’s post, but still feel Klimala and Ajeti should have at last 95 mins between them last Wednesday.

As put before, the games against Hamilton and the mob we beat 6-0, were the perfect opportunity to get mins on the pitch.

Ref NL’s comments after weds were obviously fuelled by emotion and frustration, and is probably the biggest reason he’s so admired by the fans. Unlike Rodgers he’s properly one of us, and occasionally the mask slips.

Taking aside the European exits, domestically NL’s been superb. Winning everything in front of him, and restructuring the squad superbly in very difficult financial circumstances.

joemc likes this.
  11. Sin

He should have played a striker, no way they weren't fit enough to play 45 minutes each.

Also he threw players under the bus saying they didn't want to be here and they didn't want to play for the club and he was sick of it.
    5 days later he back tracked saying he hasn't seen anything that would convince him players didn't want to be here...
    Watch the after match interviews, it's ridiculous how he back tracked but there doesn't seem to be a lot said about that!

I get he was upset after the midweek defeat but throwing players under the bus wasn't the answer, he got the tactics and the team wrong, he should have been man enough to come out and say he got it wrong, he chose to blame the players attitude very poor form from a manager!

Markybhoy likes this.
  12. Foley1888

Being honest even if he had done what he did at Motherwell, in realising at half time we needed a striker on Put Klimala on then and Ajeti with 20 mins to go that would have probably been enough to get the goals we needed.

It is still a total sickener being out the CL to that mob, when the Ely goal got chopped off and a Ntcham hit the bar I was thinking it was a matter of time as they could barely get out their half.

Dan Breen likes this.
  13. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    With regards to team selection and the likes, then hes in a better position than you and I with regards to seeing what players (especially new signings) are capable of doing. I can accept the team selections.

My biggest issue from the other night is the bold part. In terms of pouring fuel on things, he poured the fuel and lit the match for them with his post match interview. Yes he was emotional and upset. But he made a mistake and volunteered information which allowed the media to fill pages with negativity. In his pre game conference for Motherwell game, the opening 4 questions were off the back of his own comments. And he tried to put an end to it by saying he had nothing more to add and so on.

After the game on Wednesday, there was no live interview on Celtic TV/Premier Sports. He had a good 20 mins at least to compose himself and gather his thoughts before going into the written press conference. He could easily have given generic football patter, sent John Kennedy or even given "Yes and No"answers and it would have been better than what he did say. He has plenty of experience of this. But he let himself down and others.

joemc likes this.
  14. joemc

Some of wot u say is true although I actually love the fact he lost it a little , it shows he's real , he was hurting , and yeh he probably felt players could have given more , or picked on the fact that he probably has to play players wanting to leave to give a platform and keep thier value going in the right direction , its part of management that comes from above and id imagine he has no time for , people wer saying he has lost his drive , mojo , and the calm manager we now have is not the same , well I think he still has passion , and hurts like * and probably wanted to punch a few c#nts after, frustration came out after , I love that fact .

15. joemc

I think he is also trying to protect these players from being slated and breaking any confidence he is trying to build , its a bit clever to as it means the media don't really attack the player as they are only getting limited game time , and if they score during that time ,brill , confidence is up and game time goes up also .

16. murphy88

The media will always try their best to stir up things with us, it's always been that way. They didn't need to try very hard after the defeat midweek however. Lennon chose to play with no strikers, which I was baffled with prior to kick off, then we go on to create enough chances to win 3 or 4 games, only manage 1 and get knocked out. The manger will always come under scrutiny for going with no striker when that happens. He got it wrong, simple as that, and the defeat falls on his head.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  17. joemc

We struggled against teams wen our striker was fit and playing , similar shots and possession stats , I just feel the result gave the reason to point the finger at a lack of striker wen we had struggled to put away chances in games before , he also probably felt there wer enough players capable throughout the team to.take chances , players are not quite up to speed and sharpness is more the reason imo .

18. murphy88

We scored 5 and 6 goals against Hamilton and Reykjavik when we had strikers on the park. Of course the result gave reason to point the finger, that's football for you. If we had won the game it would have been overlooked, but we didn't so it come under scrutiny the decision to not play with a striker. You say players are not up to speed, Ajeti I would agree as he is only recently arrived, but Klimala has had the same pre-season as the starting lineup from last week, so there is no excuses for him not to be starting.

Playing a striker would have also allowed Christie to play in his natural position where he might well have had a bigger impact on the game. Lennon needs to stop shoehorning players into the team. It's the same when Ntcham starts, either Brown, McGregor or Christie has to drop out. He needs to stop sticking Christie wide right and continue to play all 4 of them regardless. It's square pegs in round holes. The same happened last year against Cluj in a crucial qualifier. He had McGregor playing at left back.

Mickmac and The_Bhoy like this.
  19. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You're right it was exactly the same against Cluj last year. He wanted to play Ntcham but didn't want to drop another midfielder so moved McGregor to LB but this time it was Christie to striker. He didn't learn from last year that you can't always play what you consider your best 4 midfielders if your shoehorning them into unnatural positions and weakening the team in other areas.
    I've been big supporter of Lennon and wanted him to get the job but some of his team selections and tactics have been disappointing. Having said that there's probably never been a manager who's got everything right - but they have to accept criticism when they don't and we lose important games. My da says even Stein made some strange decisions sometimes.

murphy88 likes this.
  20. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

No excuses now from Lenny, with the loan signing of Duffy the board are backing him to ensure 10. He has options now, domestically we can easily go 3-5-2, Ajer, Duffy, Julien. Duffy isnt coming to sit on the bench, Julien cost £7M so he isnt going to sit on the bench and with Ajer reportedly worth £20M he wont be on the bench either. There is also an option to give Broony a rest and play Ajer in the holding CM role, I am sure he has said somewhere he prefers midfield. Lenny has options now to rid of this 4-2-3-1, it doesnt work against teams that sit in. No excuses now Lenny get the 10 done.

freitassen and Dan Breen like this.