1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Christie could certainly sharpen up his passing and it's probably true that Rogic has better pass completion and ball retention overall but Christie is still the far more effective player for us.

For not having the "final ball" that Rogic has, he had almost as many assist last season (16) than Rogic has had in the last 3 seasons (20) and that's in less than half the appearances (41 v 98) His free-kick that won us the League Cup Final was pinpoint

For all Rogic's grace, vision and exquisite touch he doesn't have the engine to go like Christie does. It might be a more industrial style but Christie's touch, burst of pace and square ball to Edouard v Leipzig is something that Rogic doesn't have in his locker; nor does he seem to be able to be able to play a full 90 min game for us or stay fit for a sustained period of time.

It might be frustrating as * to watch Christie misplace so many passes but it's still nowhere near enough for Rogic to win back the starting 10 spot for us.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Rogic needs to prove his fitness first, and I'm not saying he should be straight in the team this weekend or next week. But my point is that when Rogic is on it, he's just a much better number 10 than Christie. Both can be in the same team. It's not a case of one or the other. But I feel Christie would be best suited to the number 8 role. Like I said, for me he has pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses as Armstrong.

McGregor
    Ntcham Christie

Ntcham McGregor
    Rogic
    Those are the midfield 3's I'd love to see us switch between when we play a 433/4231.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

When was he last "on it" though for a run of games, 2018?

He's a far better player than Armstrong IMO but they do have similar qualities in being able to break the lines and arrive in the box. He can mix it defensively as well, Armstrong was weak in that respect.

Aye, they can play in the same team but that would only really happen at the expense of Ntcham who seems at this point much more in Lennon's plans than Rogic.

I have a feeling Tam will be gone this summer and we might see Turnbull coming in.

4. CountyDownFaithful

That’s what my thinking is as well. Talk is cheap but I haven’t once heard Rogic come out in the paper and say he’s here to fight for his place. That’s two seasons he’s been nowhere near it, ahead of this huge season you’d expect him to come out and say he’s desperate to get fit and play his part.

Turnbull has a high ceiling and could be the future of our midfield if he continues on the trajectory he’s on at the minute.

5. Lewis Kerr

Christie is like a poor man's of Bruno Fernandes. He's a big influence on the team, involved a lot and is probably the main creative outlet for us, but it's frustrating to see how many times he will over hit a simple through ball or pass over the top.

Wouldn't drop him but he is a lot sloppier in possession these days and hasn't really been at his absolute best for a wee while now.

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Doesnt always make the right choice but never hides. His shooting and eye for goal has now dug us out in tough games when we have struggled to create.

Keano88 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Needs benched for a bit now.

Boruc17 likes this.
  8. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Great attitude and commitment. Did well today.

Keano88 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Never a right winger..

No overly keen on him as an out and out 10 either..

Has to be a box to box 8 for me..

I like him but he's very frustrating. Can miss an easy lay off or shoot when a pass is on pretty regularly..

Keano88 and King of Kings like this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agree with all of this, but I honestly think he’s started the season very poorly.

His decision making at times is terrible. Far too many hopeful passes and shoots on any sight of goal.

He’s a good player and will come good this season, I have no doubt. Don’t feel as though the current midfield setup works at all though really.

Keano88 and McChiellini.. like this.
  11. wulliebad

9-10 shots on goal today and i don't think any of them were on target.

12. Lewis Kerr

He's * sloppy as anything at the minute and has a bad case of the Kris Commons shoot on sight syndrome

BUT he was our only danger today.

Rydo1888* and Keano88 like this.
  13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    not sure forrest and Mo have been too sharp either tbh but for all folk get on top of RC, he doesnt half keep working.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    apart from the one that led to the goal eh?

Spring Time likes this.
  15. Keano88

You not see the one that the keeper palmed out for Ajeti to score?

Spring Time likes this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good for in the squad, maybe even use alongside mcgregor, I'm hoping we don't sell Rogic, but if we did I'd stick Mo behind Ed and a striker.

muaythai postie likes this.
  17. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    He either plays with McGregor or off eduard. He is wasted out wide.

18. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

His crossing was brutal today. How the * he was still on corners after about the 10th one is beyond me.

Surely change it up? McGregor or Elyounoussi would have had better delivery surely?

Even in games like that I am always reluctant to take him off though because he can still be a threat with the amount of goals and assists he gets.

19. wulliebad

nope. Ok 10-11 shots and one on target...wooohooooo.

20. wulliebad

aye great 1 shot on target that let to a lucky goal.....his shooting was still dire today.