1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    There's taking risks and sometimes going for what isn't on..

Yesterday for example.....scored a quality free kick but then goes for it again and goes miles wide when the likelihood of scoring from that distance straight after, is slim. Then goes for another after in the second half nowhere near..

Tries balls and flicks too much. Just make sure your first touch is on point and then compose yourself for whatever you're trying..

I still maintain he's better further back..

Foley1888 likes this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Still cant understand the logic for playing him deeper, when clearly he is one of our most creative players and biggest goal threats. In a game when Edouard, Mcgregor, Forrest and Mo did so little, he actually scored because of his appetite for goals.

he isnt and never has been a defensive player. Why on earth would you move one of our top scorers last season, away from goal?

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think he's suffering from lack of competition. Ntcham doesn't play the same position, McGregor is far better as a cm and Rogic is always injured. I agree with others saying he should be further back, feel like hes best as a box to box.

4. oh bhoy

i think he still carries that goal threat and creativity from deeper,he can have more influence on a game as gets involved more

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think he’s similar to Armstrong in the sense he plays better as a box to box midfielder rather than an attacking mid. Allows him to pick the ball up in better areas and make the attacking runs into the channels where he scores and creates most of his goals.

He still lacks consistency but when on form he’s a key player and when he’s not firing his work rate is second to none.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Don’t know why him , eddie and ajer have not sorted extended deals yet ? We’re as slow at doing this as signing new players , with the cancelled games , surely something can be sorted

cidermaster likes this.
  8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He wouldnt have the effect he does playing deeper. same people who say that say the same thing about Mcgregor. Truth is neither will be as effective in the final third if moved back. Balance in a midfield is needed and players need to cover their position.
    How about instead of moving either back, we bring in a defensive mid who can do it?

9. oh bhoy

im only going by the spell when brown was injured mcgregor and christie were amazing in the deeper positions,the passing,tempo everything about it blew me away and its extreemly frustrating that it hasnt been tried since.it was the best spell of play in such a long time and probably since.you are right we should bring in someone who can link the defence & attack but you woul find it hard to get someone who could top them performances

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  10. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Is that you John Collins? :56::56::56:

https://twitter.com/gingerpubes89/status/916027919205584896?s=21

Rydo1888* and oh bhoy like this.
  11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The amount of simple passes he misses is frustrating as *.

Countless times we’ve got a break on and a simple * over the top or through ball and he hits it right at the opposition.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's just not a number 10 at all. Far too wasteful on the ball to play as a creative midfielder.

Think he's pretty much Armstrong 2.0. Bags of energy, can drive from slightly deeper and gets a good number of goals. But often poor in possession.

Free the Adblock and Bernie Bhoy like this.
  13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Where do you play him in midfield if he keeps giving the ball away? There is a touch of trying too hard from him , could see his frustration against Hamilton when he hadn't scored, he became a bit greedy and swinging at everything. With rogics glass legs I'd like elyounassi tried at 10 or McGregor 10 and ntcham and brown behind him

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So would I, but right now, we dont have another LW option, so may have to wait till Micky J returns.
    What about new striker, can he play LW or is he out and out striker?

15. CountyDownFaithful

Some of this criticism is uncalled for IMO. Christie loses the ball more than others because he’s our creative force and usually tries the hard pass rather than an easy 5 yard pass.

Take Christie out that midfield and the creative spark and energy level drops significantly.

Seán Mac D, JED, trackebhoy and 2 others like this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He does, but the difference is Rogic and Ely often make those passes look easy. Christie doesn’t.

I missed the first half, but in the second half Christie made an * of a number of passes, ranging from fairly simple to defence splitting.

He’s all action and gets goals. But he isn’t a player with that magic spark and final ball that the other two players have.

17. CountyDownFaithful

Over the course of the season Christie gets you more goals and assists than Ntcham and Rogic. His all action style helps the midfield when Brown plays as he is slowing down now that his career is coming to an end.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Brown should be getting phased out of the team anyway, for most games.

McGregor, Ntcham, Christie and Rogic. 3 from that 4 for the vast majority of our league games and we’re laughing.

19. CountyDownFaithful

I agree but I think last night is proof that Lennon won't drop Brown. There was no need for him to start although he did take him off at 60 mins. We'll see but McGregor (6) Christie (8) and Ntcham (10) would be my midfield 3.

20. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Personally I still think Christie’s best position is as an 8, not a 10. McGregor at the base of a three, with Christie and Ntcham ahead of him could be very effective, especially in domestic games where we have the lion’s share of possession.

CountyDownFaithful and seanm like this.