1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Definitely one I hope we move for. Only 21.

northeast67 and Mr Shelby like this.
  2. DonnyCelt

Any LB rumours?

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There is way more to being a Celtic player than simply being a good footballer. Ask Juninho and Ljungberg.

The best managers choose players for a variety of reasons, character and their background being 2 high up the list.

Being a Celtic fan can in certain instances integrate players into the club ethos quicker which coincidentally is exactly what we need right now.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Absolutely nothing that I’ve seen. Even our interest in Hickey seems to have faded (unless he’s just weighing up all his options).

Torino are in negotiations with Milan for Ricardo Rodriguez. Milan only wanting €4m. We should be all over that.

5. DonnyCelt

Jesus we definitely should be at the price

6. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Rodriguez wages will be sky high.

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    From that Copenhagen side I'd easily take Johnsson, Nelsson, Falk, Wind and Kaufmann.

Jeremie Frimpong and Mr Shelby like this.
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Can’t justify your point by listing two good players who failed here. They didn’t fail because they aren’t Celtic fans.

It’s all ifs, buts and maybes.

It’ll work for some, it won’t for others. I wouldn’t be signing Duffy because he likes the club. I’d take him because he’s a good player with plenty International and Premier League experience.

It’s a pet hate of mine, normally it’s regarding a new manager and people say he’s a “Celtic man”. Cba with that, means nothing.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Of course it can mean something. The weasel even used it relentlessly to galvanise the support around him.

It’s an undeniable fact of life that there are certain potential advantages to being a fan of the club before joining.

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

As I said, for some aye and others no. It’s not the be all and end all that some make out. I don’t buy it.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I never suggested it was the be all and end all. I want a big no nonsense centre half who won’t be bullied because our current pairing (although good footballers) don’t like being roughed up, he’s ideal in that respect.

The fact he’s a fan makes it easier to attract him here and should aid him integrating into the squad because of it. Those are 2 massive plus points.

MacEwan likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Being a supporter isn't a substitute for being a quality player, if it was then we'd have been cleaning up when Kelly used to pick full starting XIs of players that came through boys guilds.

I would disagree with you that it's worth "nothing" though.

I agree with what Tommy Burns said: Celtic is more than a football club, it's a cause and a people.

Players that grow up following us understand that, they know the magnitude of the club and it's expectations, the Glasgow golfish bowl, the media game, officials etc. etc.

That's not to say that fans of other clubs or foreigners can't 'catch the bug', some of them have and went onto be the biggest figures in our history but others can be shellshocked and wilt.

In an era when players increasingly view the game as nothing more than a profession and a pay-cheque, a genuine passion for Celtic has got to be a plus point. Every great side in our history has had them and that's no coincidence.

MacEwan likes this.
  13. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    You’re right in that he is the right calibre of defender with the right attributes that we should be looking at. But Celtic man or not (I’m still skeptical as to whether he’s an avid supporter or just a guy who has an admiration for Celtic and the culture surrounding the club) after the past two seasons he’s had I wouldn’t be surprised to see a top half PL team come in for him.

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I think players coming here without a love for Celtic, but then falling in love is better than just signing guys because they are Celtic fans.

That passion will come if they have the right attitude, we’ve seen it countless times. More than we’ve seen Celtic fans come in and do well.

It doesn’t guarantee it’ll help Shane Duffy’s career at this club. I just think it’s not a selling point for me.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, it's great when you get a Larsson or a Stein but that passion has to be grown, whereas it already exists in players that have grown up as supporters.

Obviously it's a hypothetical but if you have 2 players of identical quality, one is a Celtic fan and the other isn't then it should be the fan every time IMO

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Would like to see us adding a big brute of a center half to give us some physicality. Maybe even in midfield also. Two in the Van Dijk/Wanyama mould would be great. Not a lot to ask.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  17. Foley1888

CB suggestion Leo Lacroix, Has just become a free agent from Saint Etienne, but was in loan a lot to Hamburg and Basel.

Another option is Stephen Eze Nigerian CB who is 26 and has 13 caps. He was playing in Bulgarian football and was signed by the team winning the Kazakstan league but is now a free agent. It would be a bit of a punt/trial option but he is a big unit of a guy who would certainly not get bullied.

18. celtic warrior

Given the amount * gong on right now I'm going to the other extreme of stupidness regarding suggestions.

Juve willing to sell Ramsey, might as well go in for a season long loan for him :56::56::56: :56::56:

19. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That’s enough internet for today.

_DannyBhoy_ and celtic warrior like this.
  20. celtic warrior

Never enough.

#jennylind #greatestshowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.