1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

Yeah unfortunately we will have these rumours throughout the window, I wish he would sign an extension which would not stop them but at least calm it down a bit.

In all seriousness money wise given Newcastle paid near £40m for Joelinton and some of the other fees paid for strikers bidding should start at least at that when it does come to sell Eddy.

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Bonobhoy

Fulham got 130 million today for getting promoted,* promoted.

If he wants to go then the price we ask for would be phenomenal in my opinion now.

Random Review likes this.
  3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Villa are in absolute dire need of goals.

But I can't see Ed leaving for them, despite the wage, * city, * team, * club, * stadium, * everything to be fair.

Stay for a crack at 10 and European football

Go for a relegation battle.

Can't see it

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    If Eddy is hellbent in going then your assertion is correct.

However, if the situation involves any other eventuality, including giving him a new bumper contract that might even put him on wage parity with an EPL club then so be it. That is within the board’s control, for example.

5. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Exaclty. There is no way a guy of Edouard’s quality is leaving to go to Aston Villa, especially when he just watched Tierney go to Arsenal.

I hope our days of selling our best players to EPL cannon fodder is over.

6. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Aston Villa :56: gies peace ffs. The media are absolutely desperate for him to go, there wasn't a peep about Eddy going anywhere until 2 weeks ago when the media started drumming all these stories up.

7. Cringer67

As many have touched on, the player has all the power in the modern game. I don't doubt the board want to keep him but if a team comes calling and offers the right kind of money( and i'm talking £30m+), and Eddie makes it known that he wants it to happen, then he is as good as gone i'm afraid. We simply cant compete with the money on offer down south and we could not afford to keep an unhappy player with that much money on the table
    You also couldn't blame the board if they sell if Eddie says he wants to go. There is a huge caveat to this however. IF we sell him, (and its still a big 'if' right now), then by * the board better have some top talents lined up to replace to him. It would be f*ucking typical for us to sell him on deadline day without having a replacement lined up. They will then feed us the usual bullshit of saying the player wanted to leave. Get this sorted now Celtic. If he wants to leave, sell him now and spend some money. If he says he wants to stay for 10, sign him up now. Don't hang about and wait for a huge bid to come in on the 11th hour and * us over.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  8. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I'd agree to an extent and for a 1 off I'd be more than happy to pay him whatever it takes but we do have a structure within the club that shouldn't be broken, that structure is there to protect the future if the club.

Alternatively he could sign a 70-100k 4 year deal and injure himself the next day, be missing for the season and then never fully recover his form and we are stuck with a massive wage and poor player

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are braced for a big money chase for Odsonne Edouard with clubs down south getting ready to make a move.

Arsenal and Leicester City are understood to be keeping close tabs on the French ace and reports from England suggested Aston Villa have joined the hunt.

Record Sport understands talk of an approach from Villa is wide of the mark however – as there’s been no contact between the clubs.

The Midlands outfit are looking to bolster their attack after struggling for goals last season as they narrowly escaped the drop.

Edouard remains on the scouting list of most of the clubs in England, but there has been no enquiry as yet, and Celts are adamant they don’t want to sell the hitman with 10 In A Row up for grabs.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers was the man that brought Edouard to Parkhead.

He initially joined on loan from PSG in 2017 before Rodgers broke the club's transfer record to sign him permanently for £9million the following summer.

10. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

If it was or is for 40 million it would be tempting... Esp if its all going back to the playing squad

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The press are going to have this before every single game.

Mind you PL and the board are going to be *, they can't sell if we fail to make the CL and give it we didn't have enough time as the window is open for 2 months.

And no way can this go on till October, as they'd get lynched.

12. sovietjay

you’ve not been paying attention

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If a bid of 40 mil came in he'll be gone without question, maybe even 30-35.

14. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    This team are putting in a bid for him, they always get their man as well.

[​IMG]

15. StevieBhoooy!

Disappointing that this season of all seasons we have this going on... we know players (apart from the odd few) don’t care about ‘10’ the way fans do and want them to... but I’d hope the board stand firm on any offer and put the season ahead of any bank boost..

I wouldn’t have much faith in the club bringing in an adequate replacement able to ‘click’ with the setup and team quick enough to have an impact = Odsonne Edouard

It’s just too risky for me at a time when we need consistency and stability.

Getting Edouard to sign a new deal, even just a year extension should be their prime tRget right now and the fact it’s not happened or any indicators of movement is worrying.

One more season (winning of course) and I don’t think there’d be many Celtic supporters bothered who left the club...

Everyone would be a winner .... Edouard gets his big move, PL and DD get their big windfall and we get the ‘TEN’...

In fact... I think Edouard would be the difference between CL group stage qualification or not this season anyway. Sell him now and we could struggle. Keep him and get through and Lawwell & co will get 30 million plus anyway from the participation anyway.

Jeez.... even keeping him until January would be an acceptable compromise to many and with the window extended , going in early October or early January isn’t such a wait but could make all the difference to our performance in Europe and more importantly our league points tally and goal difference.

The_Bhoy and King of Kings like this.
  16. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We seem to be looking to sign a suspiciously large number of Strikers for a side that usually only plays 1 up top. I'd like to believe the board wouldn't be so cold and calculating as to sell our best player this of all seasons but I'm starting to get a nasty feeling they just might. Selling Eddy now would be a massive loss, regardless of who was brought in to replace him, certainly none of the names mentioned are up to his standard. The ill-feeling and disappointment over his departure would leave a cloud over the club which would be a serious, if not fatal, blow to us doing the 10.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    The_Bhoy and King of Kings like this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye... *.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm thinking there is no real rumours or talk of a club in for him, there is also no noticed talk on contract extensions and you'd think one of the two would be the case.

I think Édouard extension is agreed and being held off till October as a boost at the end of the window.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

19. Foley1888

I hope your right, my big concern is that if there is no extension agreed that the Board will push for a sale.

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That's my thinking also.

They'd be silly not to sell him this year if he isn't to sign an extension.
    And I wouldn't blame us to sell him this year if that's the case (assuring replacement comes in better than Fletcher).

But considering he seems to have taken to the club well, he's the poster boy alongside brown for the new kit (not an indication really), but he also publicly stated he wanted to stay in Glasgow during lockdown as well.
    Those things along with how quiet we are on his extension makes me think it may already be signed and just not known publicly till later on when it can be seen as a "deal" for is later in the window.

I'd expect otherwise that Lennon would have made comments about his contract extension if he needed to put "pressure" on him (he is happy to do so to get Griffith fitness in line). But it all seems too quiet.

We've also been known before to delay an announcement for the sake of timing.

All that said, I know * all about anything and this is just my wishful thinking.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk