1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    We should throw in Bayo on loan as part of the deal.

2. jambo_cfc

think if hes the main target then they will go to between 7 and 8 million plus add ons , dont think lawwell can afford to * about this year.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The 2 times we've went to that sort of price range in recent years was Edouard who came with huge potential from PSG, kept Mbappe out the team for France U17s and we had seen up close for 12 months while on loan. The risks were minimal.

Julien came with some of the best defensive stats from Ligue 1 and no doubt Édouard would've spoke highly of him when they played together at Toulouse. Risk slightly higher than Edouard but measured.

I haven't seen much of Toney other than his YouTube highlights but it has to be taken into account that it's being achieved in the English 3rd tier and on the face of it his CV doesn't scream that we should be being held to ransom and make him our 2nd highest transfer fee ever, when he is free to sign a pre-contract in 5 months.

I don't see us budging too much from our initial bid. Maybe performance bonuses or a sell-on fee added in but I can't see us adding £2-3m more on top.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He’s not worth over £5M especially with only a year left, if they don’t take it then sign him on pre-contract in January. I wont be fussed if we miss out due his club wanting more money.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  5. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    With him only having a year left, wouldn't want us going higher than £5m

Sgt Neppers* and callumrae1967 like this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This.

It's not often we spend more than £5m on a player, so when we do we have to be very confident that what we're getting is quality. And this guys CV, up until this season really, is bang average.

24 goals in 32 league games is impressive, but the fact is that the league he plays in is a poor standard. Just had a look at the top scorers in that league over the last number of years and the only players who have really made a name for themselves are Billy Sharp and Rickie Lambert. Joe Garner actually topped the scoring chart with 26 a few years ago.

It would be a massive gamble.

Seán Mac D and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agreed, but the same logic should have seen us splash money on Forster.

8. Lewis Kerr

Not being funny but why do supporters give a toss about how much we spend on players? It's not coming out of our pockets. If he's our main target and Lenny wants him in that's good enough for me. Couldn't give a * if we spent 1 million or 7 million on him.. Makes no different to my life. I just want good players that will improve us

I also find it funny that we slag off the standard of the league when most teams in the SPFL are of league one standard

9. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    2nd bid submitted supposedly according to Brian

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    All I'm saying remember when the scum over on the south side spent 12m on that dud flo we can't afford to tie 6m plus into a dud

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lol..

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Still posting about Brian :87:

Tommy25 and HTG like this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I actually didn't know he was in his final year until I read that article Crow posted earlier from Darren Ferguson. Definitely shouldn't be shelling £8m in that case but I'll say again my only gripe was with people saying he wasn't worth more than £3m cause he's from league 1.
    Again, I've not really said anything to the contrary. I agree with your bottom paragraph as well, just find it hypocritical to deem a player not worth £5m cause he's from league one. I think it's actually a fair price but Peterborough are entitled to ask for more of they believe he's worth it - and as you say, a premiership bound Brentford could probably offer £8-10m and higher wages easily.

15. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    We all assume brentford will want him more if they go up. But it could be the opposite.

If they dont go up they see him more as a player to lead them in the championship but would push the boat out more for a player with better pedigree if they go up.

Just a theory

JML67 and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Pretty obvious why supporters care.

If we spend more on this guy, it’ll give us less to spend on other players. I would rather get Ajeti on loan with an option to buy, and spend the money we would be spending on Toney, on a centre half and left back/winger.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    :giggle1:

We have a finite amount of money with which to buy players, and how much we spend on and pay players is the clubs single biggest financial outlay. Fair play to you, but I think the financial side is vitally important to our sustained success in the pitch.

18. Foley1888

Also if we spend more than we need to on a player in one position it mean other position that need strengthened get missed out or a cheap option is brought in.

This is a good example as if we spend a lot of or budget on a striker then positions like CB may be missed it under invested in which should be a priority.

I am a bit worried that we seem to be spending a lot for us on a Striker after having spent £3.5m on one in January I just hope it doesn’t mean we are going to lose Eddy this summer. I hope it is forward planning for him leaving after this season.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Who's our number 1 target. Toney or Ajeti?

Ajeti with a loan to buy for 5 mill or Toney for 5 mill?

I can't see it being both but I'm confused as to who it is we're really wanting..

20. Lewis Kerr

Shouldn't we still have enough when u consider the money from sales we have received in the last couple of seasons of Dembele, Armstrong, Tierney and the cut from Van Dijk's transfer to Liverpool though? I know we have spent a bit more than usual in recent seasons but I still think it's doable to sign Toney and another CB/LW. We've hoarded onto cash for way too long in my opinion, if there was a season to spend it - it's this one.

If Eddie gets injured we're *.. Griffiths can't be relied on at all, Bayo isn't favoured and Klimala is still an unknown quantity despite showing some good signs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.