1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradise88

So Brentford need to lose on Tuesday night if we have any hope in signing Toney.

I wouldn't splash out the cash that Peterborough are wanting, and rather it go on a center half if we're even considering a £9-11m signing

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I never compared them though? Just think it's obnoxious and hypocritical of people wanting to fetch £30m+ for one of our prized assets when looking down at other clubs for wanting more than £5m for theirs.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Yeah I think strachan must be convinced he has the quality. Wont find anyone better to get a judgement on the boy than someone who seen him day in day out. Id imagine his attitude is spot on as well.

Dan Breen and Mr Shelby like this.
  4. Jeremie Frimpong

Our valuation of Édouard is, if anything, depressingly pragmatic. We all know that his value will rise exponentially the second that he signs for a club in a top-five league.

If people are turning their noses up at Toney solely because he plays for an unfashionable club in League One, that is a little bit silly.

If people are asking how a 24-year-old journeyman with virtually no top-flight experience, no international experience, and no real reputation reportedly has an eight-figure valuation after a couple of good seasons in League One, that is perfectly understandable.

5. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

Stop what

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    We are on a different level to peterborough though

7. themouth1888

Think if we were going back in for him we would have done it by now?

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nah. Still 2 months of the window left.

9. jambo_cfc

apparently Peterborough want it resolved this week so they can go about there business in the transfer market

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Have a feeling it all depends on the Brentford game.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

PETERBOROUGH boss Darren Ferguson is hoping for a quick resolution on Ivan Toney's future.

The striker is in-demand and has been subject of a bid from Celtic.

The Hoops' offer - believed to be around £5million - was knocked back with Posh looking for at least double.

However, Toney is said to be keen on a move to Glasgow and is entering the final year of his contract.

Peterborough boss Ferguson insists Toney won't play in the first friendlies as the League One side look to get the best offer for their striker.

But he hopes the 24-year-old's' situation doesn't become a distraction as he admitted he can't buy anyone unless Toney is sold.

He said: "We will have to wait and see with Ivan and it could be a distraction if his situation rumbles on. That wouldn’t be ideal.

"It would be better if things were resolved quickly, but the owners quite rightly won’t sell him unless they get the right price so it could be we end up with the best striker in League One playing for us at the start of the season so I’m quite relaxed about it.

Ivan won’t play in the first friendlies, but if he is still here as the new season approaches I will have to play him.

"I can’t sign anyone until he leaves which again is not ideal as I would want as much time as possible with the player we bring in to replace him.

“We have targets in mind and certainly the top two will have the same level of physicality that Ivan brought to the team. We need that because our other strikers, Mo Eisa, Siriki Dembele and Ricky-Jade Jones have different skills.

“It’s still early days. The transfer window has only just opened and the Championship season hasn’t yet finished, but I will seek maybe one or two central midfielders as well as a new striker if Ivan has gone.

Our recruitment last season was done with this season in mind no matter what division we were playing in so 90% of the squad I want is already here.

"It would be great if the players we had here on loan last season returned as they know how we work and how we play, but we are a long way off that happening right now.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Reads to me like the player is pushing for the move and they seem desperate and will be selling no matter what

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

We are but the original point I was making was that it's cringey when our fans say things like "* paying over £3m for a league one player" when fans of other clubs could say the same about players from the SPFL.

We're only an exception to that cause we play in Europe.

Dannybhoy81 and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

People weren't questioning his value based on those points you made it was purely cause he plays in league one. Which is daft as * imo.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    We also have a very good track record of selling players who go to be successful in the Premiership, directly to Premiership teams.

The main reason I believe they’re pricing themselves out of a deal isn’t done to Toney’s ability or even the fact he plays in League 1 really, it’s the fact that he’s free to speak to other clubs in a few months time, and walk away for nothing at the end of the season.

I don’t see £3/4m as an unreasonable sum in these circumstances, but imo £8m is just silly money for him, given his contractual circumstances.

JML67 likes this.
  16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats not the only reasons though.

How much of his value is based on the fact that he is playing in the English leagues? Everyone knows how much prices in the english markets are inflated. Also the fact that there is so much money down their means that they bargain for much higher wages. Some teams will be able to offer Toney in wages what we currently pay to Edouard or even our highest earner.

Nobody is turning their nose up at a player from league 1, its the value people have an issue with. Theres a distinct difference between paying and extra £5m-£10m for a player like Tierney or Edouard who are already of established quality on a european level and have great potential, than for a 24 year old who up until moving to league 1 didnt have a great goal record. Its not really that hard to understand.

17. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    It'll be done whenever it's done.

Peterborough can have a target to end the saga but the market dictates.

18. themouth1888

People keep saying don't worry and there's still plenty of time! Remember our euro qualifiers are just round the corner and need as strong a possible squad.

Only one leg games as well so can't afford that 1-0 defeat away knowing we have a home game to come. Should be looking to get to full strength ASAP

19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    If we play mostly 4231 and edoaurd is staying and Griff will be back do we really need a 4th striker? Will it restrict klimalas development? Although I do appreciate and like the fact it's hopefully thinking ahead to a soft landing next season when edoaurd goes

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Comments like that will be music to Pedro's ears.

This will be a case of who blinks first. The only danger is a 3rd party jumping in like Villa did with McGinn.

£5m feels a fair offer on the face of it, given we could sign him on a pre-contract in 5 months time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.