1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 31, 2019.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryanmcg84

True. Although I still struggle to see where Mcginn would fit in. Still think we have at least 3 midfielders better than him

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Has he played in most of their friendlies and 90 minutes?

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It wasnt about him fitting in at the time it was about not losing out on him.

Brown isnt going to be around much longer. McGinn would come into our team just now and have made a valuable contribution in the 1.5 years since. That's why we should have signed him.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He started on the bench against Rangers last night. I think he played the second half.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    At that time a few were of the opinion that Kouassi was a better option. I think we do need cover at DM and i think if Brown were to get injured the best suited option would be Bitton.

As much as it is good to have McGregor picking up the ball from deep, he simply does not have the physical attributes that Brown has, nor does he have defensive attributes. I think it might not get exposed at first, but in derby games, or games that turn into real battles, that would be exposed.

Turnbull, in contrast, is more of an attacking mid and so its a bit of a concern that we could have a inbalance in midfield.

6. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    147 pages on this guy!!!

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. GARRISON

Are you having a laugh - McGinn is one of the best midfielders in the premiership at the moment.

Mike B likes this.
  8. Ryanmcg84

One of the best? Think we'll need to agree to disagree on that one.

Considering Brown is our captain and has played nearly every game for the past 4 years and McGregor is arguably our best player and has played more games than any other player in Europe over the last 2 years. Where are you fitting Mcginn in? Don't see him playing attacking midfield ahead of the options we have.

His role with us just now would be the exact same as it would have been 2 years ago if he had signed. He'd be a rotational player, waiting around to be Brown's replacement when he retires

The_Bhoy and Big Shoes like this.
  9. GARRISON

10. GARRISON

He would replace Brown. I don't think Brown would get a place on any English premiership team but McGinn certainly would. Steve Bruce described him as his best ever signing

11. Jeremie Frimpong

McGinn would never have replaced Brown.

Our failings in the transfer negotiations notwithstanding, McGinn had the opportunity to join Celtic; he instead jumped at the chance to move to a Championship club.

If there had been no interest from England, and he had joined Celtic, the evidence suggests that he would have been agitating for a move to England after a couple of seasons at most.

Brown is still playing, and is more than good enough to play in the Premier League - certainly for a club that is one goal above the relegation zone with one game to play.

12. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Steve Bruce once described me as George Clooney....my missus still said I looked like a burst welly. :p

johnboy19 likes this.
  13. Ryanmcg84

Yeah I agree he would replace Brown but I also believe Ntcham should replace Brown. My point is that our last 2 managers have played Brown nearly every single game over the past 4 years, McGregor likewise with very little consideration to fatigue/age or burnout. So although we mite agree he would get in ahead of Brown I don't think Lennon or the rat would have been of the same opinion. Meaning Mcginn would not have been a 1st pick in our team which ironically enough is the reason he claims he never came in the 1st place.

14. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

After watching Luca Connell yesterday albeit in a friendly I’m more convinced we should buy turnbull and loan him back to Motherwell for a season

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He would have allowed for Brown to get rested/rotated. Mcginn is the only one of the midfielders mentioned who could match Brown in terms of physicality.

Your assertion of the situation is wrong. Mcginn admitted that he had already been shown round Villas facilities and met with Steve Bruce and had all but agreed terms by the time celtic had the bid accepted. He felt that he couldnt back out at that point.
    You should make no mistake that if we hadnt toiled and put in an acceptable bid far earlier in the window, he would have been a celtic player.

You have no basis for your last point. He never expressed a great desire to play in England before, so you are just making an assumption because he accepted a deal there. Its like to say Mcgeady would inevitably have ended up in russia if he went to the premier league first instead.

Back on topic - I do think we should be signing Turnbull and loaning him out or back to Motherwell, but I dont think he could moved back into defensive mid like Brown eventually did with us.

I also agree with the notion that we should be looking to give Luca connell exposure to the first team or give him a loan to get him game time as he does seem like he is a talent.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Still hope we sign this guy, especially as Rogic could be leaving.

G_portillo likes this.
  17. stew37

My pal met Mcginn in Amsterdam a week or 2 before he moved to Villa. He said he wanted to come to Celtic and expected it to be sorted after he got back. Think we messed about too much, i was pretty disappointed when he ended up at Villa, felt he'd have been a great replacement for Brown in the coming years.

G_portillo and King of Kings like this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * it I think we should just get him in now..

He deffo has quality that I like. Injury has deffo halted the move but he is different to most Scottish midfielders, wants to come and scores and creates plenty in our league..

Won't cost a lot and another department to tick off the list..

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Gutted when we lost McGinn, but the two situations aren't comparable..

And can we please shut up about him now.

Would take Turnbull and loan him back to Jan.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

This. Or perhaps send one of our young midfielders (Henderson, most likely) the other way on loan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.