1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

As an individual with first-hand experience of it, I think Lennon will certainly have taken mental health into account.

I'm fairly sure the Sports Science team would have been aware of the individuals that they needed to keep tabs on a little more. Griff is definitely a guy that needs structure and routine, I think they will have tried to lay a regimented program out for him.

They will also have had daily Zoom and phone calls, both from the medical side and coaching to check up on how things were going, diet, training, general mood etc.

The overall general sharpness of the squad v Nice last night showed that it wasn't a case of "do your running and we'll see you in 6 weeks"

2. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Your right mate, admired the way the people are sticking up for Griffiths and obviously he’s been through the mill but every stupid or selfish action that someone does can’t just always be backed up by “ oh the boy has mental health issues so that’s allowed “,
    When they didn’t state it publicly at first last year and Griffiths was suddenly not playing at the team, the social media and all sorts starting making up their own conclusions that he had gambled away millions, he was a cocaine addict And all sorts of other allegations ewhich Griffiths said was really hurtful plus a lot of fans were saying as season ticket holders it was their right to know what was going on

So I think this time Lennon has just been totally honest with everyone including Griffiths and to be honest I personally think he has dealt with it correctly

3. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I've installed TikTok for the first and last time in my life just to see what he's posting there. He acts like a 12 year old. Embarrassing tbh.

FranceCelt likes this.
  4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I'm really not comfortable with using his mental health to justify his complete lack of professionalism.

Deila and Rodgers both publicly questioned his attitude and lifestyle. Lennon has stood by him for the last 18 months but he too clearly feels incredibly let down and angry at this point.

I agree with what's been said in here already. Quiet words, heart to hearts and private meetings clearly haven't worked. Blatantly ignoring club warnings about his use of social media shows as much. Lenny feels it's time to go public about his behaviour. I respect that.

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

Really fail to see how he can be defended here biggest season of his career he's turned up in bad shape the manager has had a word and told him to stay off social media which he has blatantly ignored. The club have given him all the support he needs and this time he is on his own he has * it for himself

Gyp Rosetti and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    At the end of the day football is run as a business now and most times places within a first 11 are given on merit. Regardless of outside factors. We now have 3 strikers (Eddy, Bayo, Klimala) at the club who have all been putting in more work than Leigh has. They all now deserve to be ahead of him in the fight for places.

although I really like Leigh as a player, I now would rather see players like bayo and klimala get chances which they’ve worked hard for unlike griff. What griff has on both those guys in talent, he loses on their attitudes to better themselves and work hard to get in the team.

7. Jeremie Frimpong

@Slater67 makes a very good point about the silence around Griffiths' absences creating a vacuum that fills with speculation and rumour. Supporters deserve to know if his behaviour has become a problem.

Mental illness does not give you license to abnegate all of your responsibilities; I know all too well that some people believe that it does.

If he no longer wishes to uphold his end of an extremely lucrative contract, he should terminate it.

8. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    So a life long celtic supporter, player, manager, someone that's stayed loyal to the club after a lot of death threats is wrong !!!!! Are you for real. So you back a player over a man that's given more or less the last 20 years of his life. You really are deluded. Every player has a shelf life or becomes a liability, Tony Stokes and Tony Watt two prime examples of that. But hey you keep your own views. But see the next time you can count out the abusive pish you gave me

9. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    100% agree with that. If I went to work and couldn't do my duties no chance I would get 12 months paid leave, a company car and told see you in a while. If he couldn't reckonise exactly what the club were doing to help him then it's down to himself. We had given all the support his mental condition needed yet less than 6 months later he's basically let us down.

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It doesn't "give you licence" but it can certainly make even the easiest task seem impossible when the dark clouds descend.

The problem sometimes, even now when men are opening up more, is that when months pass and you aren't seeing an improvement in your health it can be easy to slip back into telling people you are fine, because you feel like you are boring people with your *.

Garrymac1888, Marie and Marty McFly like this.
  11. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I might not be a rabid hun, another * clown. See if wanting the best for my club infers I'm a hun then I'm guilty. The guy has * Lenny, players, staff and fans about and he's eventually used all his get out if jail free cards. A dislike of the man, no never, Dislike as a player, not a chance. Check my posts you will clearly see that not only to I acknowledge his ability I also acknowledge his affinity to the club and fans. But what I don't like is his treatment of a manager that given 20 * YEARS OF SERVICE. Had his own mental issues, something that was kept very quite and never missed a game never mind a whole year. Same man has had multiple death threats and been assaulted by the public and also at his place of work, the game at Tynecastle. Add in the fact that he's probably the most hated Celtic plaer/manager of all time yet he's getting it all wrong. No mate the only person wrong is Leigh and his current behaviour

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't know you, yet I actually hate you.

You will be one of those people who doesn't have an annoying * in your social circle, mainly because you are the annoying * in your social circle.

Marie and littlekennie like this.
  13. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He's spoken publicly as he's fed up seeing Leigh do the same all over social media all the Rocky *. As everyone has Lenny has a right to reply and has done so. And in doing so he's conveyed the facts instead of all the ifs buts and maybes. There nothing wrong with that

14. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye okay mister I'm * a great guy. Go and regale Leigh with your wee stories. And you hate me well really what can I say but

DO I REALLY CARE. NO NOT ALL JUST YOU KEEP BEHIND YOUR HIDDEN IDENITY. COME TO MY SEAT AND SEE IF YOU STILL FEEL THE SAME.

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree with this. I think NL knows that it will be difficult to find a better player than LG for the money we would get for him. Or even to bring in anyone who could out perform him (when fit).

The frustrating thing is LG showed what he can bring to the team at the end of last season when he came back. He shouldnt need any added motivation to get/stay fit, let alone in the lead up to a potentially historic season.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It's not about his ability, if it was just that there's no issue. But it's the trust of the manager he's lost. Imagine Eddie is out injured and Leigh is the back up striker. Not fit, overweight and maybe struggling in other areas. Where the * would we be. We need, imo, 4 strikers if we play 352 or 442 giving not just replacements but different styles of players. But they need to be fit and ready and right now not one person can say when or if he will get fit

17. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Sorry but that made me laugh

Cena, Bobo_ and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  18. RiquelmeCSC

We can make all the excuses for someone under the sun but see at the end of the day. Leigh is responsible for himself and himself only. The club can only do so much and I personally feel they have stood by him as much as they can, however in the end they are a business and Leigh is their asset. If he is no longer doing what they(Celtic, his employers) ask then what more can they do.
    You can’t play the mental health card forever and ever, there comes a time when you need to stand up and be counted or you fade away. Unfortunately Celtic don’t need to keep him around to see what he plans to do and to be fair I don’t blame them.
    They build a team that are firing on all cylinders and when one is out sync it drags the rest of the team down. Eventually they will have to cut their losses. Sad but true in any business.

19. Jeremie Frimpong

What's his name?

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I was unaware Leigh had played a mental health card, perhaps you can enlighten us.

While you are at it you can tell us what a "mental health card" is as well?

Some amount of ignorant people on here. I hope you never have to suffer the disease of depression

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020