1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    “I’m not happy. I think that’s fairly obvious by the fact that we’ve left him behind.

He’s come back out of condition and overweight.

He needs to get his head down and get fit because that’s what we pay him for.

If he wants to have a future here at the club it’s down to himself.

He shouldn’t have been out of condition and shouldn’t have been heavier.”

For me, that would have sufficed. The rest should have remained private. I think Lenny has let emotions get the better of him in front of the press as he is clearly at his wits end with the lad. Understandable of course.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think the Social Media ticking off needed said too.. He's a joke on it and it obviously isn't good for his MH.. Now that that's out there every daft post is like a * you to the club and Lenny.

For me saying that in public may be the only way to deal with someone who lives their life on SM.

Ultimately it may be an ultimatum he can't live up to. This could be it for him.(* ads took me 5 attempts at this post ffs.)

Marty McFly likes this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I disagree. Since Lennon has returned, he has shown far more restraint and control over his emotions.

With all the speculation surrounding his omission from the squad that travelled, questions were being asked and he has had days to think of what he was going to say to the press.

Im a LG fan and he has undoubted talent, but we should be under no false illusions he has hardly been the epitome Of professionalism during the course of his career.

Lennons conveyed his point to the media and more importantly to the fans now. He has effectively dispelled the notion this is a mental health matter. This is the last thing he should have to deal with in preparation for the 10 season.

If LG throws it away, he has nobody to blame but himself.

The_Bhoy, elbhoydo, JC Anton and 3 others like this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Fair points lads :50:

JC Anton likes this.
  5. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Think he's humped it

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Speaking publicly won’t achieve anything. That’s all I know, especially to the extent that they’ve done it. I don’t know what their hoping will happen.

It might be different with someone who’s mentally stronger.

There’s a difference between them saying something to fire him and allowing the media to get a hold of it. It’s just going to end badly because a lot of bad people will be thriving on what Lennon has said and it makes Leigh an even bigger target.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

There should definitely be restrictions on what he does on social media for sure.

I’ve just said in a post that making this public has made him a bigger target but we all know Leigh doesn’t help himself on social media with his interactions. He makes himself a target too. That doesn’t excuse the abuse he receives.

I’d love him to chuck his accounts completely. But I understand if he doesn’t want to live his life that way.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I still think there's a chance he can get back mate. I wouldn't completely write him off yet as he's done it before. This is gonna be a much harder and unforgiving challenge than the last he's just came back from though..

Zero margin for error or I think he really would be out the door then..

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It feels like they've exhausted everything behind the scenes, exhausted being the right word.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I get that. If that’s the case then more needs to be done.

Going public isn’t it.

11. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I suppose nothing else must of worked for Lenny so going public is as big a boot up the * someone could get.

Leigh obviously has a lot of struggles and I don’t want to see us give up on him since he came so far last season. Just needs to graft like * and take his chance in the team when he gets it. Sometimes tough love works, just need to wait and see.

JC Anton likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think it may be the best way to get a response from Griff..

Last chance saloon type thing. Difficult to know how measured it is from Lenny as he's a passionate guy. It's done now and its over to Griff really.

Marty McFly and MacEwan like this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don't think anything will, at this point, to be honest. He's been given plenty of chances and doesn't learn from it.

He's 30 in a month, so I have zero hope he's going to turn it around and become a serious professional at this stage in the game. Talent has got him this far in his career, but he's going to waste it because he is and always has been a terrible professional.

Griffiths has made himself a target, not Lennon's comments. This isn't like the "Lennon brings it on himself" pish. This is fully justified, when it comes to Griffiths.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Get him oot Sharon

Pablo87 and callumrae1967 like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't have a problem with the club going public over this, because I assume the in house methods have been tried.

Jeremie Frimpong and JC Anton like this.
  16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Hope it works for Leigh’s sake most importantly.

Then we reap the benefits of having him at his best.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I would normally prefer that we keep disciplinary issues 'in-house' and in normal circumstances I think Lennon would too. I think we have to cede to Lennon's judgement on the matter, as he knows the full details of what's happened now and prior.

I understand the want for footballers to have a personality and interact with fans, for that end social media is useful and it's Griffiths' right to say he wants to keep it for that purpose provided it doesn't impact his ability to do his job. When he's liking or retweeting things that then cause a media furore or he posts a topless picture to imply he's not overweight after his club manager has just expressed his dissatisfaction, then the club are entirely in the right to say "You chose to walk the tightrope despite our warnings and as a result we now have to punish you"

MacEwan and The_Bhoy like this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just for the record mate, he didn't post a topless picture, that was his bird. Of him, not her :biggrin:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  19. horseshoe

Lockdown has been a nightmare for a lot of people with mental health issues, even plenty of 'normal' people have struggled badly not having their normal daily routines, so I can't say I'm all that shocked he's came back less fit than desired, all it takes is one or two bad days for things to spiral and feel like you're completely snowed under and struggle to get yourself back on top. Can see the flip side for some people getting frustrated with him, the club has given him a lot of time and that can't go on forever, but I do think a few are being harsh and dismissive of mental health like he's just choosing to be lazy or unprofessional because he can't be arsed.

Really hope he can get his fitness back up to standard asap and get on top of his issues again, the partnership he was forming with Eddy was deadly.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough, I thought it was him.

I only seen the picture not the post itself.

Marty McFly likes this.