1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    End quote ..... you basically want Griffiths sold now ? Might not be a rabid hun and might be right about him not being fit just now but the last week you have let everyone know you have a clear dislike of the man regardless if he was fit or not and that’s why you want him sold ..... he will get his chance to get fit and if failing that he will go on loan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DonnyCelt

We've already lost the old Griffiths imo mate. Can't see a way back for him. He has already supposed to have knuckled down but evidently has not been.

3. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We have to weigh up what is more important- ten in a row or tolerating Leigh's unprofessionalism for a wee while. My instinct is to keep him at least for the next few months and I believe he will repay the faith shown. What are the advantages of loaning him to Hibs for a year? Eddie could get a bad injury and we'd be in trouble. Suppose we could put in a recall clause in the loan but them clauses aren't easily accepted by the other club for obvious reasons.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

On the face of it the public stripping down may be harsh, but maybe its the best way to get the right reaction from Griff.. Sounds as if Lenny is at the end of his tether, especially around the SM stuff, that we're all sick of..

One thing is certain we can do without the animosity.

The_Bhoy, TonyTim and JML67 like this.
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Disappointed it's this bad, now time for Klimala and Bayo to step up. Griff can still be an important player this season as come October injuries will hit.

Peej likes this.
  6. Ryanmcg84

The Dean Park bus that use to leave from Kelly's on Pollokshaws Road?

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think we may go into the market.

8. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely disagree with this. I feel a deep loyalty to Griffith's and love the bhoy as much as any Celtic fan but Lennon is in a different situation to any other Celtic fan on the planet. It is his responsibility to ensure our current and future success. Lennon, like any manager of any team in any industry needs all of his team to show some responsibility and professionalism. As a club we have stood by Griff for over a year now and I have no doubt we would continue to do so but we need some reasonable contribution from Griff in return. Keeping a reasonable level of fitness is the absolute basic requirement for a footballer. If Griffith's cannot discipline himself to acquire a level of fitness expected from a footballer at Celtic then he can simply not continue being a player for Celtic. The whole Celtic team would have been set direction in terms of how they should look after themselves during lockdown and this was an opportunity for Griffith's to close the fitness gap between him and the rest of the squad. He hasn't took it. If he cannot find the motivation to give himself a chance to be a player for us then perhaps it's time he found a club where he doesn't require such a high level of fitness. Poor mental health is a horrible thing and in that respect Griffith's has my every sympathy, that being said, even with poor mental health he cannot be excused from basic responsibilities and certainly not indefinitely. Lennon's loyalty and faith in Griffith's also cannot continue indefinitely. I have no doubt it's hard being Celtic player because the demands are so high but if you want to enjoy all the great things that come with being a player for our club you have to be disciplined enough to look after your body, that just a basic necessity.

As for "managing" the situation. This is the first time Lennon and Celtic have been slightly critical of Griffith's throughout all this. Sometimes tough love is required. Let's face it, if Griffith's cannot sort himself out after hearing this then he probably never will. If he can then Lennon has found the right note to drive the right behaviour from Griffith's. Either way, in one interview Lennon has given both Leigh and us fans clarity on the situation and what is required to fix it. Lennon has in know way attacked Leigh personally. It is one professional telling another professional his recent contribution is not Celtic standard. The message is clear for me, we know Leigh can be a very good Celtic player but it doesn't come as a given, it's not a freebie, you earn the right to be a Celtic player. At the end of the day, we all want Griffith's to be mentally sound, happy and doing what he does best. If he cannot bother himself to keep fit then he is not helping us to help him. It's a two way street, we have a duty of care, he has a duty to keep himself physically fit as a minimum.

I hope this works out for the best, I hope Griff finds a good level of mental health and fitness. I hope he returns to his former self. But Lennon is not outing Griffith's. He is being very honest and to the point. Remember Lennon has dealt with his share of poor mental health himself. He wouldnt have chosen to be this honest lightly. Lennon also knows far more about what's going on behind the scenes than you or I. Maybe the unfortunate truth is that the pressures that come with being a Celtic player is just to much for Griffith's at this stage at his life. Griffith's needs to decide weather he has the mental strength to be a Celtic player. If he believes he has that mental strength he needs to start acting on it and quick. If he hasn't then we will undoubtedly help him off the field as much as we can but even Griffith's can't expect us to let him play football he isn't conditioned for. It would also be unfair of Griffith's to expect Lennon to lie on his behalf to the fans. Lennon was left with little choice but to be honest as far as I can see.

Again, Lennon's job is to ensure the success of Celtic. We all love Griffith's and hope he returns to his very best but Lennon has every right to make it known if he is getting what he expects from someone is actually considered a key player

Maestro 08, JC Anton and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  9. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Wtaf is that? If that was a Sevco player we'd be all over it, ripping the pish.

Embarrasing for himself and the club.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Unfortunately I agree. Am not sure we will see Griffith's return to the standards he has set previously. Hope am wrong mind

11. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

For us stick by him previously then for him to act like this ahead of our biggest season?

sorry but that irks me, love him but a big part of me wants him out.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would disagree here. Lennon’s responsibility lies in getting the best out of Celtic. If one-to-one meetings don’t work, if months off don’t work, if the support of the back room staff, his fellow players, and the fans don’t work.....what else is there left to do other than challenge him on it publicly?

The fact Brown has come out and said similar speaks volumes imo. Ultimately Griff might simply not care as much as I would’ve liked him to. Maybe 10IAR is just a few days of social media bragging rights for him, but for his teammates it seems to mean a lot more. For guys like Brown, coming back in his mid-30’s in shape, ready to go - that’s what we need to see more of. Genuine hunger and drive to get us over the line.

Whatever the reason, it’s clear this is a last throw of the dice from Lennon. We’ve done our best to keep things behind closed doors and it clearly hasn’t worked. Part of that unfortunately is down to Leigh himself.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If Lennon has made a reasonable request like stay off social media and he's flaunted it, then I don't think Lennon is in the wrong here.

I was hesitant to be critical on the basis of a media report with no quotes but now that we've heard from the horses mouth in Lennon and Broony, I am in no doubt that Griff hasn't done what's asked of him.

Both of them will put the arm around and support our own to the hilt if it's warranted; the fact that they aren't on this occasion is telling.

This season is huge: for us as a club, for Broony personally in what could be the ultimate swansong and for Lennon who has put his neck on the line to be the man remembered as the man who won or lost the 10.

They know that we need everyone giving their all this season. Teams will be desperate to scalp us, officials will likely have 1 or 2 honest mistakes up their sleeves and the huns are giddy at the thought of stopping us reach the 10. We can't afford to become complacent, either on a collective or personal level.

The gauntlet has been laid down to Leigh now, less Muhammad Ali quotes on social media and more graft to get himself fit and ready to bang in the goals.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's a shame how this has got to here now.

Before Lennon's comments I was all for sticking the boot in to the media for jumping to conclusions - because that's what they did.
    Alas, they were somewhat on the money with it.

But that doesn't excuse some on here spending the small hours of the night rambling * about Griffith's or foaming at the mouth towards other posters.

Would never want to see Griffith hounded out the club, don't think anyone would.
    But it now is clear what Lennon's view is on it all, without having to trust a * media and be jumping to conclusions.

Head down Leigh, sort it out and get yourself back in contention.
    Nothing better than having a fit and ready to go Griffith's in this side. That partnership with Édouard was starting to look good - we want that back!.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

Sean Daleer likes this.
  15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    At the end of the day, Griff is going to react to this in one of two ways.

I really really hope it's the way we want, for everyone's sake.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agreed.
    Judging by how Lennon handles things in the past, specially concerning Griffith, it's clear he's tried everything else. So let's hope this is the last thing that finally clicks for the lad and we get it to turn out in a positive way.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In time he will look back on this with massive regret if he doesn't heed the warning and knuckle down.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Lenny and the club have stood by Griff, it's up to him now, he really has to want to help himself.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Leigh, Leigh stupid Leigh

Hopefully he comes back from this but I think this should be his last chance.
    As a club and supporters we've given him as much as we can.

seanm likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He should be looking at Klimala and seeing what can be achieved if you knuckle down and concentrate on your fitness. Seeing as that's a guy he'll be directly competing with for a place in the team it should be enough motivation for him, let alone your manager publicly laying the gauntlet down like he has.

@Marty McFly has been right this whole time that Griff needs to pack the social media stuff in. It's not good for him, the club or anyone else tbh. Tik Tok is a load of *.

The_Bhoy likes this.