1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Last of Us 2.

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by The Thumb, Jun 11, 2020.

Discuss Last of Us 2. in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Lev and his sister(Laria) brought out Abbys humanity, it was used to reinforce that abby is actually decent person - she felt guilty and went back to help them, making the audience feel more on her side. Also without Lev there she'd have lost it and slit Dinas throat at the end: which she would have no doubt regretted.
    Dina made Ellie more vulnerable and also showed that even with her pregnancy it wasn't going to stop Ellie on her mission of revenge. Showing how determined ellie was and giving ellie more to lose.
    Thought Jesse was cool enough although ridiculously understanding of what had went on with his ex dina and gd pal ellie. He also helped show that ellie was so transfixed on abbie that when they thought tommy was close-and in trouble- she refused to go with him and chose to push on herself to Abby.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I understand those points, but you could remove Jesse from the game completely and nothing changes. Dina could and should have been more involved. That's my problem. You spend a few hours getting to know Dina and Ellie's relationship, then the game shifts to Abby and Dina is essentially gone from the game apart from about 30 minutes near the end. She offers very little.

Lev and Yara are used to bring out Abby's humanity, but it baffles me that anyone thinks it worked that well. At no point during the entire game did Abby show any remorse for her actions. Ellie slaughters hundreds of people but look at her reaction when she kills Owen and his wife. She's broken by it. Meanwhile when Abby finds out Dina is pregnant, it makes her want to kill Dina even more. And yet it's Abby we're meant to empathise with? Come on.

For me - Bill, Sam, Henry, Tess, Marlene, David...all these characters from the first game are memorable and brought emotional weight to the story. None of the side characters in TLOU2 are even close to those. All very forgettable and/or unlikeable.

3. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

You really do try to be different, don’t ye?:56:

I’m not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination but having played the first game it clearly is a classic, it’s one of the best games ever released ya crackpot.

4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Yara! that's it.
    Abby on Dina- she is the heat of the moment with the lassie(Ellie) and her pals who killed all her closest friends - and her true love Owen- who she lost through her breakdown from her dad dying and pushed him away, who were probably leaned on more since her Da was murdered by Joel. So aye she goes "Good!" and goes to do it BUT she doesn't. Then let's Ellie live (again).

What do you think Abby is supposed to show remorse for? Killing Joel? who murdered her da who was only trying to do good.

If you can watch the moment Abby rushed in and seen her deid da and no feel any empathy then you must have a heart of solid stone. (that was another bit where the acting was brilliant and her character distraught)

Abby only done Joel in and could have got rid of Ellie and Tommy too. She is merciful when it only added more risk to her and her crew.
    By the end of the game all Abby has lost almost everything and she still lets Ellie go. All she really has left is an outcast from a cult as a pal and the search for the Fireflies- which is another point where her desperation is brilliantly portrayed as she frantically tries to contact the different outposts on the radio.

I * love Abby. The Last Of Us 3 The Abs Of Us with Abby as the new star.

Just Kieran likes this.
  5. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Levs the only new side character I liked, I'm not a fan of the forced woke * but they actually handled levs storyline really well. Ellie and dinas relationship on the other hand was just flat and the dialogue was forced and cringey at times.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

She doesn't because her wee pal told her not to. Not because she didn't want to do it herself. Sorry man but I'm not seeing it at all. She had very little personality throughout the whole thing and at not point did I really like her as a character - well, apart from the flashbacks when she was just a normal girl.

Aye it's a shame her dad died but that whole thing is very grey, not black and white. Joel had a valid reason to do what he did, so this whole retroactively painting him as the bad guy (which I've seen a lot of people do) is nonsense. Everybody loved him after the first game. Abby's dad was about to kill Ellie without giving her the choice beforehand. If the Fireflies explained to Ellie what was going to happen and she agreed then it'd be a different story. So neither him or Joel were exactly saints.

If Abby is the "good" character that she's supposed to be, then yes I would expect her to show remorse for the way she tortured and killed Joel, in front of his adopted daughter. For killing Jesse, for wanting to kill a pregnant girl and for trying to kill Tommy. To me, a well rounded character who is actually good at heart would have doubts and question herself...not go on like nothing has happened. Meanwhile, Ellie (who throughout this game we are being conditioned to dislike) is actually the character who shows remorse for her actions and lets Abby live at the end.

Based on the reviews and the fallout from this game, I think Naughty Dog would be making a massive mistake if they make a sequel with Abby as the protagonist. A large chunk of players of the first 2 won't buy it, myself included. I'm hoping they go with a new IP and Druckmann is less involved, or get Bruce Straley back to reign Druckmann in.

Valhalla likes this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Final Fantasy is one of the biggest selling games of all time, but it's * rotten.

Not saying it wasn't a really good game, but just wasnt up there with my fav games, and in that genre still think a Days Gone was better than it.

8. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I honestly think they were planning another with that scenario but not sure if it will for the reasons you say. Such a decisive game.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Said it earlier but honestly feel with the direction they chose for this game they’ve completed butchered two options for future games.

They bastardised the first game with their decision to somehow try and paint Joel as the villain.

A Wolves/Seraphites game could’ve been phenomenal and showed how political the world is in that universe. A full political war with it showing both sides could’ve been done brilliantly if they’d took their time and set it up properly.

They had an idea about the character of Abby and wanted to try and explore her story and eventually ‘takeover’ the franchise from Ellie. They basically ruined Joel/Ellie so they could try and extend the franchise and keep making money.

10. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I am really surprised at the amount of people who don't realise he was a villain... in the first game.

Fontaine and Just Kieran like this.
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Because he wasn't. Not even in the slightest.

Valhalla likes this.
  12. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He was in my book. I understood why he did what he did though.

Just Kieran likes this.
  13. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I think the world of The Last of Us is to grey and complex to label people heroes and villains, everyone no matter what group they belong too have done * things to survive whether they be fireflies, wolf's, smugglers or just people trying to survive. Although the likes of the david in the first game who was a cannibal/ predator you could definitely call a villain because the * he and his group were doing was inhuman and indefensible.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This.

Joel is more of an anti-hero, if he can be labelled as anything.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just because he lied to Ellie doesn’t mean he was a villain.

Joel was and is quite clearly the hero. Just because they didn’t know how to take him and Ellie’s story further so butchered his character doesn’t change that.

16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He was a villain to anyone related to those surgeons...

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Surgeons who were going to kill a 14 year old girl without giving her the choice?

Mate you’re clearly a massive fan of the second game and will defend the decisions they made but there’s a reason the reaction is pretty universal when it comes to how bad they * it up.

Even people who hate the story admit the actual gameplay mechanics, graphics etc are still second to none.

It was obvious they only had an idea for one game and everything in the first game came together perfectly. Within 10 minutes of this game you knew they had no idea how to expand on the Joel/Ellie story and went for shock value to try and make the audience buy in.

It backfired.

18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I really did enjoy it. I can also see why people are * and feel so strongly about it. I said in one of the 1st things I said, that it shouldn't have a had a sequel. I think they did really well with it though.

It's hard to gauge fully how people have felt as metacritic is full of butthurt looneys in the user reviews who gave it a zero(if you think the game deserves anything close to that then you are an idiot.). Then you can't really trust the media/professional reviewer side because they are very susceptible to giving high scores to massive studios and especially a game that is seen as progressive. Amazon reviews are positive whereas at launch it was very low.

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They were going to kill Ellie, not as if he done it for the * of it.

Valhalla likes this.
  20. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I know. They weren't going to kill Ellie for the * of it either though. If you look at my previous post I say that we the audience know why he did it and can understand it. Ellie had supplanted his daughter and was all he had. He could not allow her to be taken from him. They were going to develop a cure for the virus. He never saved Ellie just for Ellie. He saved her as much for himself and denied the world the chance of a cure. It's beautifully tragic stuff.