1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

I stopped listening to papers the day commons came into training all bandaged up after lennon battered him.
    So griff has been left at home to do some more training so what,i would be more worried if he was left at home because of injury.
    Some people can work away on their own just fine and others need someone on their backs to keep them up to speed.
    Maybe griff is the kind of person who needs pushed by his peers and being locked up for 3 months away from the coaching staff has not been ideal.
    He will play this season and he will get goals like he always has.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Marie and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

6 weeks ? The league starts in about 3 , everyone else managed to stay fit except him , and who cares about hun players ,griff has competition for a start , should be busting a gut , pretty unprofessional

3. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

These kind of stories are just so unhelpful.

Everything I've heard about player fitness during the lockdown is that it's being monitored and fed back to the club, so if Griffiths was noticeably behind prior to returning to training then why wasn't this picked up on beforehand? Surely the player would have been spoken to, particularly with the issues he'd had with his fitness over the last 12 months or so?

If his lack of fitness is related to poor mental health during lockdown, then I'd have thought the player would have discussed this with Lennon? Griffiths himself has spoken out about his mental health and pinpointed the importance of talking to people. Lennon has been through these issues himself, and was both supportive and protective of Griffiths, so I find it hard to believe that he would suddenly be 'furious' with Griffiths.

Take it all with a pinch of salt, really. Griffiths wasn't even back to full sharpness when he was playing more regularly after the break, so he's probably just on a specific regime to get him up to speed as much as possible for when the season starts.

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    you do realise we're on the middle of a global pandemic right? Nevermind social distancing, * is just off a transatlantic flight. It could put the whole * league in jeopardy.

And LG is NOT the first player to come back to pre season carrying extra, certainly wont be the last either.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s poor from him, if it’s true.

We kick of the biggest season in his time at a Celtic in 3 weeks time, chasing a historic 10IAR. It isn’t that he’s just been deemed not fit enough to do that, because at this stage nobody really is. It’s that he’s supposedly been deemed to be not fit enough compared to his teammates.

Fitness for a footballer isn’t something you can just get back to quickly. You’re talking about having the conditioning required not just to get through the 90 minutes, but to do that repeatedly, game after game, for 50/60 games a season. Throw yourself into that unprepared and you’ll break down with injury at one stage or another.

I would’ve hope for better basically, and I say that with complete sympathy to his mental health issues. I don’t know the full ins and outs of it and I’m not expecting anyone to report back in perfect shape under the circumstances, but ultimately it’s the fans, the coaching staff, and his teammates that would be the ones Griff is letting down here.

Officer Doofy and McChiellini.. like this.
  6. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

I know we’re in the middle of a global pandemic, my wife is a scrub nurse and daughter a medical student , everyone else is ready to go but yet again griff isn’t, to me shows a complete lack of respect after everything thats been done for him, you’re more easy going than me

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  7. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    All spectulation right now. There could be a number of reasons why he is at home but for some to have decided he’s a stone overweight and finished at Celtic based on a newspaper is madness. Let’s wait and see what Lennon says

8. StevieBhoooy!

Shows you how little the media have to talk about when this is headline news...

... Celtic fans turning on him isn’t going to help one little bit either...

All sounds slightly strange to me given the monitoring and contact that the coaching staff will have had with players over the lockdown.

Our players were not on furlough like lower division clubs, where no work related contact is allowed other than a ‘how you doing ?’ phone call....

Our players will have been sending in/uploading health stats and details by the day (I’d have thought) so surely any drop in levels hadn’t come as a surprise :39:

Plus they’ve been back training a couple of weeks so again, it’s not a sudden drop.

One or two positives...

• Im impressed that Lenny is taking a firm stance (if true) as it shows how committed to the ‘10’ they are and how important it is for ALL to be ‘on the train’.
    • It will hopefully send the right message to LG just how crucial this season is and that he is needed ... but only in peak condition.
    A bit disappointing if genuinely not fit...
    But no big deal for me. Club taking the right action.

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Who is toblerone dome?

10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hope Griff is ok and pulls through whatever has prevented him from flying to France. Great player and hope he has successful season. What we cannot do is dismiss this as a serious concern though. Rightfully so we should support Griff and do everything we can to get him back on track but IF and it's a big IF, He is going to the friendlies because he hasn't looked after himself big questions have to be asked. We are paying his wages, we are sticking by him, keeping himself in reasonable condition to negotiate friendlies should be the minimum requirement.

That being said at this stage it is all its and buts. Their could be a whole load of reasons why he hasn't gone. I just hope whatever the reason that it is justified and reasonable

11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Is he the only player left Behind to train?
    If he is, which I doubt, is he the first one to be left behind.
    He definitely doesn’t look fat but that doesn’t mean he’s up to speed, might just need final conditioning.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I don't know why so many are getting their knickers in a twist over people saying IF it's true then it's no good. It's gonna be a hot topic on here..

I've said myself if it's true then I don't necessarily want him binned but he'll be walking a tightrope with his career here..

If it's * we carry on as normal as he was fantastic after the break and a one of the main reasons we steamrolled ahead. Even if it's true it doesn't mean it's deffo over either but I'll be disappointed with him like many other's..

King of Kings likes this.
  13. TimFloyd Gold Member

Some people need to get a grip, wanting him punted out the club ffs

Aye put on a bit of weight, everyone knows Griffith's is his own worst enemy when he isn't playing football.

The guy has plenty of demons to battle, it isn't a one and done thing, there is multiple hurdles he will always face in life with mental health and addiction.

Marie and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. Ryanmcg84

Yeah he's the 4th one. He's been out injured so maybe simply not ready for full training or they aren't happy with him either which would be understandable seen as he seemed to get injured everytime he played last season. Rememeber Lennys reaction in Perth. Mite be a case of he needs to do more to become more robust and reliable

15. Ryanmcg84

So does he deserve preferential treatment?

Every other member of the squad were given a programme and have stuck to it. What kind of message does it send if he's allowed to slack off yet still involved? The rest of the players then see it and either take the hump or they say * it I'll no bother either coz he gets away with it.

It's not the 1st time it's happened either. He's an athlete getting paid thousands of pounds a week and he can't even stay fit.

He was arguing with a celtic fan on twitter who called him out for going for a kebab in castlmilk in his training gear the week the players were back in training. He drove from Lennoxtown to castlmilk at the beginning of pre season for a * kebab!!! Does that sound like the behaviour of a professional athlete?

16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just coz...

griffiths_goal_3_4515.jpg images (1).jpeg NINTCHDBPICT000569093350.jpg _methode_times_prod_web_bin_a7469456-3d67-11ea-9c52-a30e6a70847e.jpg PicsArt_07-12-12.56.38.jpg

17. TimFloyd Gold Member

Where did I say he should avoid punishment altogether? My post was aimed at people wanting him out the club.

Getting paid thousands of pounds a week doesn't make you immune from mental health issues which it is well documented he has.

Yes he should be punished in some form, he isn't a "natural" athlete so yes he does need to keep on top of it more than others.

Re: kebab

Maybe it's a really nice kebab

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I love griff, fantastic on his day. This preseaso was the ideal time for him to truly get back to his best. Wee KT went down to london with the proper celtic mentality. If griff had even half of that mindset he would be off to see moussa. Im not judging griff. Definitely looks in better shape than alfredo. Hope he gets his finger out because we should really be looking to play with the 2 strickers on. Leigh can perform at any weight. Bayo n klimala im afraid are unknown. So get tae work leigh. Next time though, get one of yer pals to get ye a kebab :56:

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Do we know what other players have been kept back?

Seems a massive amount of over exaggeration here.

I'll admit disappointing if players are coming back from time off not at the required fitness. But hardly surprising.

They've also been back training with the club for two weeks now, and only now made the call on the France squad.
    Not surprised a few have missed out.
    Seems more like he isn't up to speed and we are probably more looking to get a core group up to match speed as fast as possible, while the others train separately and get their own levels up to a the same as the squad and will then be eased in to match day condition.

Would like to see the names of the others being kept behind though. Not going to berate the lad, although it is disappointing to know that some are not ready to go straight away, humans can be lazy, it happens.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

20. Paradise88

He bounced back and made a great partnership with Edouard. More than confident he can bounce back again.