1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by JC Anton, Jan 13, 2016.

Discuss Fraser Forster in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We should spare no expenses when it comes to signing Forster. The definition of proven quality.

Tommy25 and Dan Breen like this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    And that expense would be recuperated with CL qualification. Almost guaranteed.

Tommy25 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He has every right to weigh things up..

People are naive to think he'll take a paycut for the love of the club..

He's already won everything in Scotland has had special nights in the CL..

If we can sort a deal out then great but the ball is firmly in his court for now.

Garrymac1888, The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Will break my heart when this goes to Ex players section.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Money grabbing rat *?

Just wondering as its a great word used in here, and dependant on the player I suppose.

* him, he's fanning about, go for someone else. We're a secondary/maybe last resort to him, move on.

markybhoy1976 and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The only way he'd lose cash on his contract are for the things that aren't guaranteed (bonuses, appearance fees) - he is covered under contract law for his Southampton contract. The % of the contract that we agree to pay, is paid to Southampton; not to Forster himself.

Personally I thought the most difficult aspect of agreeing another deal would be getting Southampton to agree to it. The fact we've managed to get them to do that so early in the transfer window shows that we have put together an excellent package and pushed the boat out as far as we can.

The ball is in Forster's court now but for me, everything points to this decision not being a financial one for Forster.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What makes you think it’s not a financial one?

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Everything I've just said in the post above :84:

Unless he has heavy performance-related bonuses in his Southampton contract then the amount dropping in his account each week won't change.

If he stays at Southampton and remains largely on the bench he wouldn't be picking up the likes of clean sheet bonuses anyway.

Whatever the issue is, we can't hang about for weeks while he works it out. He's entitled to decide what he wants but this season is too big for us to get involved in 'will he, won't he' transfer sagas.

Lennon would've had informal chats with Moi and Forster last season to see what their thoughts for the future were, the fact that we've been onto Southampton quickly again for both suggests to me that Lennon was getting all the right signals from them.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't believe for a moment that a guy who has always spoken so passionately about the club over the last ten years and has passionately stated his desire to return and openly acknowledge that it would need to be with a pay cut, that he is openly fine with, is stalling because he wants a big fat bank balance.
    The guys signed two contracts at Southampton and is on 90k a week the past two years. He has literally made anywhere from £10-15million just off of Southampton, he ain't short of cash or a big fat bank balance.

So in that respect, when a club like Chelsea come sniffing, I'm not instantly going to blame or suggest it's because he chased money over medals. He's an English player with 5 good years at least left in him and is seeing a potential chance at a club that legit can/should be pushing for a title/trophy in both domestic and Europe. It also provides a brilliant platform to stake a claim back in the England team.

That I can not fault any one for.
    Same went for hooper, hindsight says hooper got it wrong, but you really couldn't blame a lad for that desire.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Foley1888

The thing for me is if Southampton thought there was a chance of a club like Chelsea interested in signing FF then why agree to loan him to Celtic? Even with an option to buy they are paying most of his wages for another season and probably still need to use some of any future transfer fee to settle with FF. Chelsea would either pay a far larger proportion of FF's wages if it was a loan deal or a transfer fee in excess of ours and not require FF to be compensated to go. The same could be said for most top flight English clubs in terms of the finances of a deal from a Southampton point of view. This is what makes me think there is certainly nothing concrete from another EPL club on the table or close, otherwise Southampton wouldn't have agreed a deal with Celtic.

Similarly if they genuinely think he could improve their team and they want to give him a chance why agree a loan? A lot has been said about their finances but a loan isn't going to greatly address that situation even if we paid a loan fee it would probably only just about balance their loss on FF's wages.

I can see why FF would want a permanent residence, I don't know what his family situation is but if he has a wife and kids or is planning a family with his other half then certainty about where you will be for the next couple of years would be a big deal.

11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I also agree with that, was just curious why you thought it was financial. Although I do think he will be losing money overall with a move to us so that will come into account.
    What puzzles me the most is why Lenny has publicly outed frase for not making a decision. What good does that do? As it only makes him look bad

12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally. English players don’t care for our history. They love being here and getting the affection and appreciation that comes from the fans. Unlike they will receive elsewhere. But none of them see their long term future here or life after football, when they still feel they are able to perform in their home country.
    I feel a move to Chelsea for frase will be wrong though, he’s not a better keeper than Kepa and the money spent on kepa also will determine unless he is sold, that he isn’t benched for long periods of time.
    England number 1 has gone for him now. Dean Henderson will be the next long term keeper for them and they’ll want to blood him in now that he’s performing in the Prem. so logically coming to us would be the best option for him in terms of leaving a mark on the game, albeit that mark will maybe only be present/remembered in Scottish footballing history

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm saying it's not a financial one.

I think it's clear why Lennon has publicly stated it. To get to this point Forster has obviously intimated he'd be keen on the move, Lennon has then asked Lawwell to try do the deal - to Lawwell's credit he's acted pretty promptly and has obviously put together a decent financial offer to Southampton if they're agreeing to it this early.

For all that work to be put in and Forster to then get cold feet will have * Lennon off no end. It's possibly caught him out and we've now had to look at alternatives if Forster doesn't fancy it.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need to know where we stand can't wait forever.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I think Southampton just don’t see his future with them, so accepted a good offer from another club. Which if another club comes in they will also accept their offer too if it’s as good or better. It’s just a case of FF deciding where he actually wants to go now that will determine which club(s) offer is the winning one

16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Haha * sake just realised I wrote that first bit but meant “it’s not”! Oh yeah I can see that, but coming out publicly to say that? Is that not something that could be said to his reps or him directly over a private message. That’s what i mean by I don’t get it. If I was Forster I’d be pretty disappointed my manager, I thought I had a good connection with publicly outed me like that? When like other posters have said there may be a whole load of reasons for the delay. I can see our sides frustrations that it’s not been done swiftly, but I just don’t think the public talks on it help the situation in any way?

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

People were shouting from the rooftops about our lack of movement/penny pinching etc. on the deal.

Lennon is just explaining that the club has done it all it can to get him back here and the ball is now in his court.

He's messed Lennon about here, I've no doubt about it. If Forster had said he wanted to see how things stood and assess other options this summer then Lennon could've prepared other options.

If we hadn't said anything and had just moved on to attempting to sign Marshall on a Bosman or something, there would hysteria "typical Celtic" "cheap option" etc.

18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    My tuppence worth, nobody knows anything.

19. joemc

Keeping fans up to date as we can be an anxious bunch , but I imagine lenny will be a bit miffed as he would have thought this sorted already and knew how reliable he is ,changing a keeper has an immediate unsettling effect on defences .

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes no joe heart anyway. Punt.

:fear:

dbhoy72 likes this.