1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by JC Anton, Jan 13, 2016.

Discuss Fraser Forster in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Smithy

Definitely seems to be the case.

If he is indeed on £92k a week then I think we need to move on. Even if he somehow agreed to take half those wages, would we pay that? Especially in the current climate. I really doubt it.

2. Jeremie Frimpong

If we are looking to replace Gordon (I don't believe that we need to), I would rather that we went for someone younger and cheaper, in terms of salary, than Marshall.

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

GK's only really come into their prime at that age, he's still got a good 6-8 years in him since he looks after himself well and obviously barring injuries.

I think £8M is a fair price and similar to Jullien it's little sell on value but very important to have that experience and quality in the team rather than too many projects. We can afford it and can sell Ntcham for probably £12M+ to cover the fee and wages.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He's on £70K at Southampton. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/southampton-f.c/fraser-forster-22940/

We paid £15K of that last season while he was on loan here. I imagine we'd maybe offer as high as £35K in wages, so still plenty money if we wants to be first pick, win trophies and be in Europe.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  5. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Assuming he's been on that wage for 5/6 years then he's likely earned around £18mil after taxes. Hopefully the chance to play regularly for a couple of million less a year is enticing enough.

Get it done Pedro.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I hear what you’re saying but zero chance we’re paying over £5m for a GK..

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Depends on other options I suppose and how much Southampton want, given the economic situation I think all valuations will be dropping a good bit so you never know. £5M for Forster would be a bargain.

Also wonder if we have a sell on fee :fear:

georgiebhoy, cidermaster and JC Anton like this.
  8. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Was just about to post something similar. Everywhere I've looked it's been mooted as 70k. Not sure where this 92 or 100k comes from

CookieMonster likes this.
  9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Papers talking * as usual.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  10. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    The money isn't what the clubs worth or where they play its what the players is worth to US. Look at last year. We paid 5.5 million quid on 2 left backs yet both kept out the team at various points by a left midfielder, Jonny Hayes. That's were I get frustrated by Lenny over his 2 spells. He likes to get numbers in but imo why not spend 5.5 million on a real quality left back than get 2 half decent ones. The way it ended up was neither new player really impressed enough to say they are first choice picks next year Especially with Moi back and Soro also looking to get games. Lenny did that a lot in his first spell and was costly and wasted a lot of money on loans and transfers.

11. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    100 % agree with that. We waste far too much money on players that for an extra couple of million would be the answer. I said in another post that Taylor and Bolingoli failed to cement the left back position and I would have rather seen us spend 5.5 on one player and keep Jonny as back up. Sometimes you need to spend what you need to get what u want. This is one of those times imo

12. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    See when David was here before, yes great games v Barca and the Zombies, he failed to impress at times and remember a goal in the Scottish cup final were he was extremely poor. Imo he isn't good enough to come back to us now. For once I want to see us get our NUMBER ONE choice not 2nd 3rd or 4th

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem was we needed 2 left backs and other positions such as 2 right backs, a centre back, a left winger and a keeper.
    I also think Taylor improved and made the position my the end of the season grabbing 5 assists. Spend an extra £2m, so let's say £5m, does that get you a good player? That is how much Bauer cost Stoke, I bet Toljan would have cost Celtic at least that probably more had we signed him permanently.

14. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Ex-players is he not.

Let's not drag this * out much longer.

If Chelsea are after him he's going there.

Put a bid in and call it then.

15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think he is just hoping to get a pay out from Southampton.
    Problem is, we just cannot wait for that to pan out.

joemc likes this.
  16. joemc

Let go rather than put in a transfer request ,the 6 million dollar question ,can they afford to keep him .

17. joemc

I remember a friendly he was in goal , manager was Strachan or o Neil, opposition took a decent shot at him and it went through his hands , thoughts at the time were ' that will be the end for him " didnt see him again , but he has done well down south and gained a lot of experience .

18. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldn't rule out him coming back just yet, but it's a bit of a difficult situation.

Reading between the lines last season, I'd say Forster wants to be here and it'c clear the manager would want him back. There's been talk of Chelsea, but I can't see him choosing to go somewhere to sit on the bench and just play the odd cup game. If Southampton genuinely want him to stay and challenge for a place, then there's not really a lot we can do. It's not like we can force their hand, financially, as they will be wealthier than us.

I think you could see how happy Forster was when he re-joined Celtic last Summer. Apart from being happy yo be a first choice again, he talked about coming 'home'. If he really want to come back, it'll be up to him to make that clear to Southampton. If he hands in a transfer request he'll sacrifice his loyalty bonus, in addition to also having to take a big wage cut to come back. No matter how you feel about Celtic, that will be a big thing for him to give up.

Marty McFly likes this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Need to put a deadline on this. Can't be waiting for him all window.

If there's no movement for another week or so we should be looking elsewhere - preferably Barkas.

20. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree with your points and for sure I didn't think we'd be considering him number one but it was due to the Admin and him apparantley being into coming back I thought maybe now we find ourselves chasing two keepers we might take advantage of the low cost of such a transfer. Him being 35 would mean would could at least concentrate on a younger proper back up keeper in the next couple of years. Right now we have to put a lot of energy into getting a first choice and this is not the season for us being vulnerable in such an important position.