1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I been guilty of saying this the last two year and I admit he proved me wrong in both years. For me as incredible as has been, both recently and far back we need to start planning his long term replacement. He certainly appears to have atleast another season in him but at the end of this upcoming season he is going to be 36 years of age, approaching 37. He is incredible shape for a footballer of his age but decline will catch him eventually. To bow out captaining a 10 in row team for me is the perfect way to do it too and cap off a fantastic career with us.

When he does call it a day, I think we will find it next to impossible to replace what he brings to the team. So will probably have to get a different kind of cm. But we should certainly be at the stage of thinking about this. This is a replacement we absolutely must get right. When we think we spent £8m replacing boyata with Julien, dembele with eduoard £9M I do think we need to spend a decent sum to fill the eventual void.

This is in no way downplaying how great brown his been either btw. He has become one of my favourite ever Celtic captains, I'll be gutted when the time comes for him to retire. I just don't think we should ignore the fact that'll probably come sooner rather than later. To a lesser degree I think the lustig example is a good one, we brought el hamed and frimpong. Able and brilliant replacements. That's the kind of position we should start approaching now. That being said I guess none us know what soro is capable of yet

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We spent a lot of money on Soro, he needs to be drip fed into the team and he needs to step up to the plate.
    So * off that we dropped the ball with McGinn.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Those comparisons though, boyata as a replacement and lustigs replacement...I’d argue brown is more irreplaceable to us than those guys are so to replace that kind of player would be looking possibly out of our price range! If brown was 20/21 we’d be asking teams for the same kind of money we got for tierney. I don’t think we will be able to fill that void well unfortunately, mcginn woulda been the best choice and we * that one up royally

5. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry

Broony is a legend, and has been a great player for over a decade. It will be nearly impossible to replace him "like for like" within our budgetary constraints, but nobody is indispensable.

I'm sure that previous Managers have wondered how they would ever replace Quinn, McGrory, Tully, Jinky, Lennox etc etc, but we've always found a way to adapt and move on.

I'm sure we'll do the same when Broony retires.

The_Bhoy, Moore and Whoflungdung like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AFTER three months away from the game, Scott Brown and his team-mates are savouring the chance to return to competitive football in the coming weeks. At first, that’ll be behind closed doors – but the skipper said the Hoops cannot wait to play in front of a full house at Paradise.

At present, the Scottish champions await the go-ahead for full-contact training, having returned to Lennoxtown in reduced capacity last week. The skipper said once that happens, the next step will be organising friendly matches, before ramping things up for the start of the Premiership and the UEFA Champions League qualifiers in August.

Speaking to Celtic TV today (Friday) Brown said: “It’s good to be back, we’re back playing football at Lennoxtown, and hopefully we can get the fans back into the stadium as soon as possible. We’ve missed playing, we’ve missed the fans as well, and we just want to get things back to normal as quickly as possible – but we need to make sure everyone is safe in doing so, and that tick all the boxes as well.

“The fans, I’m sure, want to get back in as well, to see us playing and winning games. For us, there’s nothing better than to be playing at Celtic Park in front of 60,000, that’s what we want, but as I said, we need to make sure that we do it safety first, which we have been doing. We will get the fans back and we’re looking forward to it!”

Brown admitted the adjustment to training at the moment has been difficult, but admitted that, overall, he's delighted to be back on the pitch and is now fully focused on the season ahead. The captain understands what the upcoming campaign means to Celtic’s brilliant fanbase, but likewise acknowledged how much it means to every player in the Hoops dressing room.

He added: “It’s great that we’re going to have the European qualifiers back, and we’re going to get the league started as well. We definitely need a few friendlies, that’s for sure, and the lads are looking forward to that. Once we do get that contact in training, then we can push on to get a few games as well.

“This season means a lot to the fans, but it means a lot to us as players as well - especially myself and James, we’ve been here from the start, we’ve done it all the way through the nine. But it’s always about taking games one at a time. We need to make sure we get the Champions League qualifiers sorted, we start the league really well, and we come to Christmas and we’re in that good position yet again which we were last year.

“We went to Dubai, we came back in great spirits, we were flying, and we were just disappointed that we couldn’t finish the season because we had the momentum, we were doing really well, and we believed that we were going to be a lot more points clear. It wasn’t to be, the season is over, we got the league title, and now we’re ready to go again.”

HoopyT likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Mince.Charming

What's the script with his hair.
    Surely he doesn't get a barber to shave his heed.

seamus1967 likes this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Good guy. Supports his local barber anaw.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    I wasn't Browns biggest fan in his early years, too much running about with no real tactical thinking. But imo his last 5 seasons has been his best in the Hoops. He's been the one that all of the players look to for inspiration and the managers have got him to bully the team into their way of doing things. He will be a massive player to replace but, and it's a big but Soro from what I have seen looks a very mobile player that likes to get stuck in. And the good thing is that Soro won't be captain so can go about his job with players like McGregor, Christie and Julien all more than capable of taking on the skippers role. If we don't get the right player to replace him then it's the Recruitment Dept that will take the flack because they have had plenty time to get a replacement in.. Lustig imo was a important player in his 8 seasons here. His love of the club was so apparent and look at celebrations at any trophy won. He's the one at the front celebrating like it his fc irst winners medal. Add in his experience and presence in the dressing room he was always going to be hard to replace. Imo we did well with Frimpong, although defensively he's nowhere near as good as Lustig but young enough, El Hamed missed more or less the whole of the season so jury still out.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I agree. I’m always hopeful we can replace people to the best or if not better than the previous. I reckon broony will be around the club for a long time to come after he’s retired and even just having that presence about will hopefully continue the impact he has on the team on the pitch

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Finally a better song than the Johnny Mac one

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It does seem like he is very much of a mind to go into the coaching side of things when he retires and I can see him going right onto the sidelines with our academy teams when he does hang up the boots. This virus may have pushed that back a year though with the break it would have given his body. We will see but I could see Brown giving us another 2 years still playing at a top level.

Lilac Wine and The_Bhoy like this.
  19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I hope so, his skill isn’t getting any lower and his fitness is improving more than ever so there’s no reason he shouldn’t be carrying on. I think if he retires any sooner than 2 years he’ll really regret it

eire4 likes this.
  20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :nonono:

JML67 likes this.