1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilios Barkas (GK)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Luis1967, Jul 3, 2020.

Discuss Vasilios Barkas (GK) in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

AEK Athens goalkeeper.
    10 caps for Greece.

Celtic apparently have made a enquiry about him. Quoted at £5m according to the media. Don’t know much about him, Udinese and Montpellier have had offers turned down in past windows.

seamus1967 likes this.
  2. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Sounds better option than Hart or Marshall

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic have been quoted a price of £5million for Greek international goalkeeper Vasilios Barkas.

The AEK Athens stopper features on a shortlist of replacements for Fraser Foster after the former England international chose to stay put at Southampton.

And Sportsmail understand the Scottish champions lodged an enquiry earlier this week.

Also linked with Leeds United, the 26-year-old has won 10 caps for his country and made over a hundred appearances for AEK.

Scotland No 1 David Marshall and former England keeper Joe Hart are also under active consideration after Forster changed his mind over a return to Glasgow.

A one-year loan deal with an option to buy was agreed last weekend. With the former Newcastle keeper reluctant to go on loan again, however, the final two years of his £90,000-a-week deal at Southampton became a significant financial hurdle.

While Celtic have not relinquished all hope of the 32-year-old returning on loan, they are now considering other options after Craig Gordon also rejected a new deal and moved to Hearts

Head of recruitment Nicky Hammond and goalkeeping coach Stevie Woods are heading up the search, new first team coach Gavin Strachan saying: 'I haven't been here long enough to really get a grasp on recruitment.

'But there is work going on behind the scenes.

'We just have to have faith in the guys making those calls. Speaking to Stevie Woods and Nicky Hammond briefly, they're certainly working very hard on that side of things, I know that.'

At six foot five Barkas fits the commanding physical profile Neil Lennon wants for his next keeper.

With Basel and Montpellier also interested, however, the Parkhead side are sizing up whether to pay a hefty transfer fee.

Scotland keeper Marshall is also an option after Wigan's plunge into administration on Tuesday while former England No 1 Hart is being looked at.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    tarboltontim likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

5. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Seems to have been on the radar for a while. Id defos trust Stevie Woods opinion thats for sure.

6. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Quite like Boruc the way he closes them angles down.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, noticed that myself. Looks a good keeper.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  8. Bellshill Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Stuart Armstrong
    He played both games when Celtic played AEK in 2018. Don’t think there were a lot of shots in the away leg though.

Anyone impressed when he played at CP?

9. Bellshill Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Stuart Armstrong
    Olympiakos 1st in table with 81 pts. AEK 2nd on 59.

Would that not mean AEK would be Europa Qualifying? Greece below Scotland in Coefficeint so not sure.

10. The Celtbot

2nd place lands you CL qualifying stage in Greece. I've watched AEK Athens a few times recently and thought he seemed decent.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If we don't get Forster, then this guy would definitely be my second choice from the keepers we've been linked with.

Big Shoes likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

More likely to spend that amount of cash on a 26yr old.. And maybe rightly so.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AEK Athens are desperate to cash in on £5 million-rated Celtic target Vasilios Barkas.

The Greek No.1 is amongst a host of targets being assessed by Parkhead chiefs as they hunt a goalkeeper.

Barkas is on the options list and European clubs have been alerted to the fact that the Athens giants will not play hardball as they desperately seek much-needed funds to make alterations to their own squad.

Record Sport understands AEK major backer Dimitris Melissanidis and technical director Ilia Ivic held a recent meeting where it was decided that selling the 26-year-old would be a key way to offset recent frustrating hits to the club’s coffers.

AEK have suffered a tough recent spell with suspended sentences, fines and crowd bans from UEFA for fan trouble at Euro games, while COVID-19 also shut Greek football down for three months and forced play-off matches upon the game’s restart to be played behind closed doors meaning more damaging losses of revenue.

Ivic is believed to have pinpointed Barkas as a key sale as there is no need for a replacement to be purchased with current back-up keeper Panagiotis Tsintotas proven in the top team and lined-up to assume the full-time, first-choice slot.

Tsintotas’ progression means Barkas is seen as the club’s only saleable asset who could be lost without subsequent outlay and Montpellier and Leeds United are also assessing the situation.

Celtic had hoped to have a deal sealed for Fraser Forster this week, but that has been placed into serious jeopard.

The Englishman has not committed to a loan-to-buy move agreed by Southampton and the Scottish champions, although Saints boss Ralf Hassenhuttl has refused to close the door on Forster’s return to Celtic.

Recruitment chiefs are now scouring the market for alternatives with Craig Gordon’s departure to Hearts leaving Scotland international Scott Bain as the only recognised top-team choice currently at Parkhead with less than a month to go before the Scottish Premiership season is scheduled to begin.

Another potential target, David Marshall, is understood to have been offered a quick deal from another English Championship club as administration-hit Wigan look to get players out the door.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Watched the clips on him and he's a big presence..

I like a keeper that makes strikers have to think more or be fancy trying to finish just because of their size. Something that Bain doesn't have..

This guy looks levels above Hart and Marshall as well. Still think we'll get Forster mind..

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. ruzzle76

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubomir moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the willy maley song
    Looks like a perfect replacement for forster. But ffs why on all them player vids on youtube, everyone has absolute dugshite music on them. Just once let me see one with a decent tune that doesn´t make me want to switch them off after 30 seconds:56::56:

Jeremie Frimpong and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    £5million a bit steep, but id take him based on the little I know and have researched so far.

Clearly I've never properly seen him, but I assume our scouts being paid to do so have done that.

If we are spending £3-5million, then he is the sort that should be on our radar.
    There is risks, but they can be mitigated if we box sensibly with the keeper situation.

I'd be more inclined to bring Marshall or Hart in on a free and this lad as "backup" for a year. Get the guy up to speed with the league and break him in to take over the following season.

It would however mean punting Bain, who for me is a first team keeper and as much as I rate his role at the club, he isn't going to ever be out 1st choice.

Ideally, barkas, Hart in now.
    Doohan out on loan, punt Bain.
    1-2 seasons down the line punt Hart and have barkas take number one spot and doohan as backup.
    3-4 years down the line (23/24 season) you would be wanting to see a 26 year old doohan as first choice and barkas having been sold for 15million at least.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Crilly likes this.
  18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thats it, good enough for me, get him signed.

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Celtic have turned their attention to the European market for their No 1 goalkeeper, which may put a move for Joe Hart in doubt. The Scottish champions have been looking for a keeper following Fraser Forster's return to Southampton following his season-long loan"

20. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I can't see us spending 5 mil on any player this season, will happily be proven wrong