1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Which academy players are ready to break through into the first team next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 3, 2020.

Discuss Which academy players are ready to break through into the first team next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

I know that some of you keep tabs on the development team. Who is ready to feature for the first team next season?

2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Deas, Welsh, Hazard, aitchison, dembele (last two maybe, dependant on our formation. Don’t think either work in a 3-5-2). Other than that I can’t see others making the step up just yet. Would potentially look to use the financial troubles due to the virus by loaning out every player 19-20 we can that isn’t ready for the first team just yet. Keep our reserves the 16-18 age as much as we can. Teams will need a quick cheap fix with wages a concern

3. shaunm

Remember Daniel Church being highly rated a few years ago,no idea if he’s good enough though,sure he was a left back

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He doesn't have a prayer of making it.

Avatar Daizen and JML67 like this.
  5. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

That's a bit steep(le)

JML67 likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Jesus Christ Almighty...

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  7. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

what age will Dembele be 17 ish that should be his real breakthrough season

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Robertson Dembele Welsh are easily good enough to be in around the squads.

Hepburn if he doesn’t go to Bayern.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    With Simunovic gone I would think we will see Welsh get a few more opportunities to show he has the ability to make it at Celtic this season.

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Welsh and Dembele are a cert to be featured next season imo.

11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Thinks hes only one of a pew thats coming through.

But can he play in the 3-5-2 or do we need to alter it

But by all accounts hes a good left back, can maybe office griff good service

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Church has a pretty decent left peg but don't think he's quite good enough for us..

Dembele (been blazing the door down)
    Robertson (more than ready)
    Connell (could've played in top flight already)

Probably the 3 obvious one's..

Can McInroy get back to where he was?Henderson as well after a poor loan move?

Does Welsh have it in him to be trusted more after Accies away?....when he pulled up no trees on his loans either..
    Is Deas now in the mix?

Harper I like and Hepburn is highly rated but he's even further behind Harper..

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Front runners O'Connor (with the euros pushed back a year this guy has a real chance of going if Ireland negotiated the playoffs, a class act, only matter of time before it makes it somewhere, I hope it's at Celtic ) , Robertson ( all the attributes Lennon likes tipping along nicely) , dembele ( only thing hoding him back currently is age and strength ).

Maybes: connell (think he will struggle to get game time, afolabi (lot of strikers ahead of him) deas/Welsh (I like both but think deas could overtake him in pecking order soon). Okoflex (danger of step overing his way backwards, badly needs the right loan) Coffey ( my fav player with academy for long time but like okoflex prob needs the right loan) Harper (dark horse for break thru soon, appears to have a great attitude and his general all round play and work rate will attract Lennon.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, me also a big fan of Coffee-comes from my neck of the woods.
    I suspect Aitchison has missed the boat, if he was going to make it, he would have done so by now.
    All others mentioned are in with a shout, just so difficult to see them getting gametime.

15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Often wondered if it would be a positive thing if we were forced to field some under 19yrs in say the League cup?
    May just be that little break a kid is needing.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I've said this the last few years, don't get me wrong the trebles were nice and in the final you play your strongest XI but we could field more kids in the LC imo.

Think the change of format has prevented that, cause of euro quals we get put straight into the knockout phase.

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    After 3 trebles running plus a clean sweep this season more pressure is on a manger to carry on winning so I don't blame a manager to play a strong team in the league Cup.

18. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    sometimes I agree with this but you could produce great young talent like we have been doing, our younger players don't get a chance play a couple if you get drawn against a lower league outfit.

We have some great talented younger players and like Jock Stein said if you're good enough you're old enough we need to see if there good enough which is the issue. We cry when we let young players go who go on to do well.

If 2 or 3 are in and around the squad I would look at Dembele, Welsh/Deas, Robertson these guys with O'Connor and Connell on the fringes too

see if any of them could be loaned out to SPFL Clubs strengthen those clubs and gets some young lads good experience

19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aitchison is the same age as most of those players haha I said it on another thread, but his downfall is he made his debut with us at 16! So it seems like he’s been about forever and is 24+ Haha as most only make their debuts with us at 20+

20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That clip of Hepburn doing a rabona over someone in the youth games is unreal haha can see him leaving, especially with Morrison over at Bayern too. Woulda been great to see what those two coulda done for us.